Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:12 pm 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

Have you consider just running Rune Quake? It is well supported, tested and runs very smoothly. Anytime I've needed help, I've received it within hours in most cases.

Unless you are good at coding, I would pick a mod to run where the developer has a proven track record of being there to support it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:48 pm 

Thanks Diaz,

I've already run servers for Quake CRMod, Painkeep and Deathmatch Plus but based on the popularity of GF's server (no offense :o) ) this one looked quite promising. Still, u are right and if I don't get a response I'll have to either start delving into QuakeC or can the RQP server idea and try another 'flavour'.

Kind regards

Monty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:23 pm 

Well shmack, which is of course runequake, is by far the most popular quake1 server. There have been a lot of games lately on fear, but it's also a new server with new stuff to check out. I think fear is a fun distraction with some interesting new runes, but the game play is too bizare and random for me to want to go there real often. The rune quake mod also has a lot of other features like ra, match mode, etc. I spose if you really wanna use rq+ it would be ok if you turned off some of the weirder more spastic runes. I liked how singed was when it ran rq+.

The only thing I dont like about runequake is the eyecam rider mode, as it's so jumpy and akward. Can't you do something about that slot? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:54 pm 

Use this exe:

http://www.shambels.com/other/frikqcc.zip

And I compile it as follows:
frikqcc /O2 -allownest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:02 pm 

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I wasn't exactly looking under this thread for this post. I thought it was about downloading the Quake game.

And Rune Quake Plus is crazy because it's made for fun. It isn't really made to have ALL The runes active at the same time, but it's fun that way. Please direct futher Rune Quake Plus questions here: http://www.net-tyme.com/modules.php?name=Forums

Thanks for helping Slot, you were on the right track I think. I'll see about supplying the latest version of the code soon, but there is some special non-public code that has to be removed that is only added by special request.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:11 pm 

Diazoild wrote:
Have you consider just running Rune Quake? It is well supported, tested and runs very smoothly. Anytime I've needed help, I've received it within hours in most cases.

Now THAT is some good tech support. I can't compete there, I mean I spend +3 hours a day driving to and from work and then I'm at work for 9 hours where I can't check or do anything online that's deemed personal, then when I get home it's "check a few forums, eat and go to bed".

So excuse me for not having instant support.

Diazoild wrote:
Unless you are good at coding, I would pick a mod to run where the developer has a proven track record of being there to support it.

Yeah, I don't support it. I didn't fix a ton of bugs, add 3 more runes and new features in the last few weeks... oh wait a minute... I did! :shock:

DZ, go turn some existing runes off and on... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:35 pm 

yellow#5 wrote:
Well shmack, which is of course runequake, is by far the most popular quake1 server. There have been a lot of games lately on fear, but it's also a new server with new stuff to check out. I think fear is a fun distraction with some interesting new runes, but the game play is too bizare and random for me to want to go there real often. The rune quake mod also has a lot of other features like ra, match mode, etc. I spose if you really wanna use rq+ it would be ok if you turned off some of the weirder more spastic runes. I liked how singed was when it ran rq+.

Someday I'm going to try and port over all of the newer features to RQP, or maybe just compact the latest Rune Quake again and add everything back to it one feature at a time.

I still wish you would implement my animation code and some kind of "add on" rune standard to the mod, Slot. It can be done, I've shown you in the past. It would make adding runes simple as copying files over and editing a few more files.

Then you could update the core to Rune Quake while the admins just add their favorite runes into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:15 pm 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

You have not supported that mod the way Rune Quake is supported. I'm not talking about weeks or months, but years. You have the tendency to run off in a huff for long periods of time when things don't go your way.

I tried very hard to achieve the right balance of runes and other settings in that mod, but it just has or had too many bugs to deal with. People were able to change settings and even crash it. That's when I switched back to Rune Quake.

I also prefer dealing with someone that is a tad more level headed, but I wish you the best with the mod and getting it back up to speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:47 pm 

Diazoild wrote:
You have not supported that mod the way Rune Quake is supported. I'm not talking about weeks or months, but years. You have the tendency to run off in a huff for long periods of time when things don't go your way.
Yeah, things not going my way... why? Because I didn't own the servers and the forums. I had no choice but to leave and let them do what they wanted.

Diazoild wrote:
I tried very hard to achieve the right balance of runes and other settings in that mod, but it just has or had too many bugs to deal with. People were able to change settings and even crash it. That's when I switched back to Rune Quake.

You don't want to be part of the development process, you want a tried and true method. You don't want something that is known to fail. Well just remember that when you change one thing you can't predict the outcome. You take a risk. It's like marrying someone, you don't know what it's going to be like. It's like having kids, you don't know what they're going to be like or even if they're going to live.

Yet, if you didn't make changes you wouldn't get anywhere. So being "I will not use this because it COULD crash!" is like saying "I will not cross the road because I could be hit by a car!" Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not like if the Quake server crashes causes something of meaning to be destroyied.

The server crashed.

Gimmie a bug report. ;)

Diazoild wrote:
I also prefer dealing with someone that is a tad more level headed, but I wish you the best with the mod and getting it back up to speed.

Slot would be the ying to my yang. I like to go all out and do crazy things, experiment with new ideas. And look at the results of my experiments, he's added some of my runes to Rune Quake. Slot does a good job at maintaining the code. I wish he would work with coders more to make the mode more open and easier to edit, but he does not.

Level-headed? Maybe. I'm part of a different generation than you, DZ. This is a game, games are for fun. RQB is more of a genre than a regular game. It's mostly for hoots and laughter at extremely silly and random things. That's something I enjoy.

DZ, in other words....

just play!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:31 pm 

hay hay; Dizzy is a good admin, and im sure you are a great programer. 24-7 live support is understandable if there is no revenue involved.

DZ you forgot to mention another bad thing about fear.lokinetworks.com--the admin linuxwiz is a sociopath. He flooded me for 10 minutes shutting down my whole internet connection, just because of my posts about the military on net-tyme, which by the way were not meant seriously and just thrown out in a silly shitfight with an ex-soldier. So, if you care about the security of your machine, don't connect to fear, or net-tyme for that matter because he set that up too. When you connect to a server or website, admin gets all the information he needs to be able to fuck with you, if he knows how, as lin certainly does. He also bans people regularly on whim without giving the community any proof, because, as he says, he does not run a democracy. For me, to see even 1 innocent player get banned is cause enough to not play a server. Some admins set up servers because they want to nurture something good (DZ; Slot), and some set up servers because they want to lord their power over people

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:56 am 

Blimey! :shock:
I unintentionally opened a real can of worms didn't I? :) Well firstly thank you for getting back to me IEE. Given the time you have available to you it is genuinely appreciated and I will test it out tonight and report back here.
On the subject of servers, to some degree I agree with both of you (DZ and IEE) as IMHO RQ and RQP both have a place and I will be experimenting with both them to see what sort of reaction I get this side of the pond. From my limited experience it appears the players seem to fall into 2 camps - the purists and ppl who just play for fun. I like the 'tried and tested' approach of RQ as pointed out by DZ but also I agree that we need to keep trying to keep quake fresh and hopefully retain the player's interest in Quake. The purists may well be satisfied with enjoying improvements in stability and performance. Whereas others may well be looking for something new and will welcome new 'flavours' such as RQP. Perhaps one way forward would be to have a meeting of the minds whereby the benefits and advancements (performance gains, bug fixes, new useful features, what went well/what didn't etc) attained through the experimental phase could be filtered back those receptive individuals in control of the stable system.

A big thank you to everyone that has responded I WILL get back to you shortly so that anyone else going through the same process my benefit.

Kind regards

Monty

P.S. Sorry to hear you're having trouble Spook's what were you accused of doing that instigated this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:33 am 

I'll post this to net-tyme as well but here are the results with the new executable and the line frikqcc /O2 -allownest :
Code:
error: internal.qc:33:Wrong immediate type for SV_LASTCHECKTIME, Expected float found int
error: internal.qc:34:Wrong immediate type for SV_NAME, Expected float found int
error: internal.qc:35:Wrong immediate type for SV_MODELNAME, Expected float found int
error: internal.qc:36:Wrong immediate type for SV_WORLDMODEL, Expected float found int
error: internal.qc:37:Wrong immediate type for SV_MODEL_PRECACHE, Expected float found int
error: internal.qc:38:Wrong immediate type for SV_MODELS, Expected float found int
error: internal.qc:39:Wrong immediate type for SV_SOUND_PRECACHE, Expected float found int
error: internal.qc:40:Wrong immediate type for SV_LIGHTSTYLES, Expected float found int
error: internal.qc:41:Wrong immediate type for SV_NUM_EDICTS, Expected float found int
error: internal.qc:42:Wrong immediate type for SV_MAX_EDICTS, Expected float found int
error: internal.qc:43:Wrong immediate type for SV_EDICTS, Expected float found int

:cry:

Kind regards

Monty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:35 am 
Site Admin

Monty,

The last compiler you downloaded will not work. It's frikqcc 2.6, which requires you to type integers as 'int' rather than declare them as floats prefixed with a '%'. So, go back to version 2.5, which is the one Baker provided the link to.

It seems to me that you are not adding the command line options properly, because the first error you provided me is the exact error I get when I don't add any command line options.

How exactly are you compiling? If you could provide an excerpt of what you're typing like you did with the actual error that would be helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:13 pm 

Attention Mr.Burns!

Happy birthday: http://shambels.com/pr/

Here you have the current version compiled, uncompiled with batch files to compile it and the compiler itself (frikqcc).

Now, about the compiler I use. Frik himself suggest I use this particular exe and I have ever since. When I feel frisky I'm going to compress Slot's latest Rune Quake as small as possible by redoing most of the runes and I'm going to use the same compiler as Slot does. I'm also going to release altered versions of Rune Quake as I change the core for his inspection. I think I should be able to reduce the amount of code while not taking anything to the online version of the game out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:15 pm 

can you add frikbots to that ? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:22 pm 

Monster wrote:

Hey Chuck... you around? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:24 pm 

Monster wrote:

Tho seriously that would be cool. I wrote some rune and hook use code for those bots once that gave me the creeps. They actually seemed to be thinking.

I felt bad about exiting Quake...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:58 am 
Site Admin

yellow#5 wrote:
The only thing I dont like about runequake is the eyecam rider mode, as it's so jumpy and akward. Can't you do something about that slot? :)

Done! Thanks for helping me test it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:39 pm 

Solved!

For any others new to compiling quake mods and wishing the try variations on IEEE's work the following worked for me:

1. Download version 2.5 of the frikqcc compiler from ftp://ftp.runequake.com/quake/quakec/compilers/frikqcc/2.5/frikqcc.zip
2. Unzip the frikqcc-release.exe and place it in your quake directory
3. Download the rqp src from [url]http://shambels.com/pr/RQPx[PR]0.8.5.zip[/url] and save it in a folder underneath your main quake directory called rqpsrc
4. If on a Windows machine go into dos and navigate to your quake directory
5. Input the command
Code:
frikqcc -src rqpsrc /O2 -allownest

6. This should create a file called progs.dat in the directory above the quake folder. Create a folder in your quake directory called rqp and move the progs.dat file into it.
7. Start your server with a command line along the lines of
Code:
winquake -game rqp

I'm yet to RTFM on how to activate hook and more runes but I'm working on it.

A big thank you to IEEE, Sot, Baker, Dizzy, Bam and everyone else for bearing with me and taking the time to contribute constructively.

Kind regards

Monty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:53 pm 

Mr.Burns wrote:
Solved!

For any others new to compiling quake mods and wishing the try variations on IEEE's work the following worked for me:

1. Download version 2.5 of the frikqcc compiler from ftp://ftp.runequake.com/quake/quakec/compilers/frikqcc/2.5/frikqcc.zip

I'm having to compile on a windows box which is quite annoying as all development I do is on Linux.. I've downloaded frikqcc 2.5 for linux and still get the errors mentioned above in a previous post (when someone was using 2.6). I've even downloaded the source (i believe) and compiled it, used it and got the errors. If anyone can compile RQP under Fedora please email me the compiler <altere at athelstan dot org>.

Without the /O2 -allownest option if memory serves me correctly, it compiles but when running with sqpro -game it segfaults.

I have yet to try this on RQ 1.1, I've simply been using a windows machine to compile everything.