Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best-looking quake engine?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:41 pm 

which quake engine looks better in the visuals, joequake or qrack? or in all of the quake clients, which one is the best? just want to try out some good graphix because i am very bored right now.

THANks, MONSTEr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:21 pm 

i also get this error when loading qrack : Couldn't set fullscreen DIB mode

EDIT: NEVERMIND I FORGOT TO PUT IN md3 files. why does it lag whenever i shoot buckshot? I have the quake retexturing project (high detail) in there, and the remodels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:38 am 

I did hear that tenebrae was pretty good. Haven't got the hardware to really test it to it's limits myself but it's available from http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/downloads/TenebraeInstall.exe and the website is http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/ PersonallyI have always found Qrack very good visually. Hope this helps

Kind regards

Monty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:13 pm 

Tenebrae is by far the most impressive but damn you'd need a modified rig to play it to it's full potential. On the plus side, the monster models are kickass.

Joequake is simple and clean but the latest version has an annoying bug where it spams your messagebox like you're typing STATUS every minute or when you die.

Qrack is loaded with a bunch of fun things and is pretty similar to Joequake. Only reason I don't use it is because it CRASHED on me! :roll:

GLPro is simple and sweet without the fancy graphics. You can't go wrong with this and you can customize it if you know how to compile :D

you can't go wrong with simple things

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:31 pm 

As far as qrack vs. joequake, they are very similar graphically. Qrack does have a few extra graphical enhancements that are pretty snazzy....such as r_outline 1 and 2, gl_celshading, gl_textureless, decals, etc.

Joe does deserve a great deal of credit for Joequake, as it's a great client that 2 other clients are based on. I like qrack though, because not only does it have a few extra bells and whistles but it's made specifically with multiplayer in mind, and has every relevent proquake feature. R00k (the author, aka sputnikutah) is an active player, so he understands what a multiplayer client needs.

As far as other clients focusing on graphics such as tenebrae, telejano, mhquake, tremor, they aren't really made for multiplayer, I'm not real interested in non-multiplayer quake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:51 pm 

yeah, i have tenebrae. it chops up on even my comp. it is AMAZING THOUGH. it looks just like doom 3!/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:17 am 
quake.intertex.net

Dark Places is the BEST coded quake engine :shock:
Tenebrae has alot of cool stuff. MHQuake has a lot of great rendering optimizations, FitzQuake is fast and small, QMB has nice EYE candy small requirements, JoeQuake,Fuhquake, Tremor, and Qrack all use same QMB particle engine.. so theres little difference...

If you get the DIB error its cause either the default 72hz is not supported by your monitor or you have set the -refreshrate too high on the commandline.
IE -witdh 1024 -height 768 -refreshrate 100, might not be supported on some flat panel screens. I have reverted the default down to 60hz since alot of people requested this. Also please not that now you must supply both -width and -height if you dont use the default 640x480 this is in hopes to support widescreen resolutions. ie 640 x 1024 etc...
to fix this just lower the -refreshrate value (100, 85, 72, or 60) until it works
the higher the better but if its not supported by the monitor it wont work :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:12 am 
zop.runequake.com

Was it Dark Places that had blood smearing on walls?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:43 pm 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

Yes, this movie was made using DarkPlaces and you can see the blood smears all over the place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:33 pm 

I think Telejano has the best visuals (non doom style).

The special effects are good and has options to vary them.

Unfortunatly I dont think it supports Runes because I get this error everytime I try running Runes with it. :?:

At the moment I recommend Fuhquake because you dont need a heavy rig to play it.