Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gooland III is Back!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:57 pm 

I am editing this post as it mentions Q3, the server is Original Quake - Artifact Runes

Last edited by Troy McClure on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Gooland III is Back!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

I might have to dust off the Q1 CD. :P

Post subject: Re: Gooland III (Quake 3) is Back!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:05 pm 

Slot Zero wrote:
I might have to dust off the Q3 CD.

And write the CD key down on a piece of paper everytime Q3 messes up and asks you for it for no reason :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:04 am 

Put up the Q1 Rune server back up :!:

Me and the few elites left are tired of kicking noob's butts and their whining.

I heard you are good, well am I too - a new generation player! I am coming for you! :wink: Seriously, we really need competition!

RuneQuake 1 is still alive and well and still being played extensively. We have a full house on Shmack on Fridays, the weekends and everynight, with a moderate amount of players in the morning and afternoon everyday.

If not many will attend, I guarantee you, we will have tight, edge-of-the-seat games, even with the few of us left.

Yes, and ask Slot of the Anti-Wallhack cheat module to be installed on your server as well. This way we can guarantee clean games, and when we kick some poor player's ass, he will not be able to scream "cheat." :)

Yes, and if you remember Phenylalanine, I Hate Humans or the other 50 stupid names he goes by, I believe he was your former admin at Gooland, he really turned soft in the brains and crazy and calls everyone now-a-days that whips his non-strafing ass a "cheat." I think we should let him on the Gooland server and give him a good ass-whopping. I believe that would be in order to straighten out that old fart. :lol:

He is really stupid now and annoys everybody. I feel sorry for him, maybe a talk with him followed by a good Quake beating will straighten him out - if the former fails. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:38 pm 

After more than 5 years Rah and I hooked up last night and I have to admit, we had a blast playing Rune Quake. Quake 1 that is!

I've decided to toss out Quake 3 as I cannot make a better server than the one I already play at so I will be running Rune Quake 1!

The only reason it is not up right this second is because my POS Linksys Router is giving me some headaches with the game. From some reason, the only way I can play it is if I DMZ the router. Oddly, Quake 3 works just fine when forwarding the ports. DMZ the router is out of the question for me as the machine I am using is on my local network and causes a security risk.

Hopefully I'll get time to iron it out today so keep the address in mind (gooland.gotdns.com) when firing up Quake. Rah's ping was pretty good to me whereas I was lousy going to him when he setup the server so I am thinking it should be a good experience for anyone wishing to play.

Paradise or Slot, if you could point me into the right direction to get the wall hack it would be much appreciated. I think the reason I stopped hosting Q1 in favor of Q3 in the past was due to not being able to stop the bots and I do not need that becoming an issue again.

My skills are definitely off, Rah gave me a run for my money! but give me some time, I'll be back! ;)

Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:17 pm 

Great! :D

What mod are you running on your server? How is it different from Slot's RQ? Do you have bugs in yours, keep in mind that while you put yours away, Slot has been polishing his. What runes do you have in your mod? What features does it have?

Most importantly, does your mod support axe-hook (CTF style hook)? Because that is what I use, and some may use it too.

Apart from getting anti-wall hack you should also get his ban-file list database to keep bots banned at Shmack from coming to your server, it is better this way then to ban everybody all over again.

Being an Admin is not always easy, and cleaning up your server is part of your job. Nobody said it was easy, but it sure is fun to play on a clean server. Ask anybody that plays at Shmack. :)

Tell us when it is going to be up. :mrgreen:

Best regards and good decision to bring back your Q1Rune server, I am sure there will be lots of players who will be very grateful for a new server to play on. :P
-Paradise.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:36 pm 

We are running Artifact-RJS as modified by Rah back in the day. I'm not looking for a server competition, I just want to throw the old server up so Rah and I can play and if any of the old-timers find this (which I am sure they will) they can appreciate the old days.

The server is up and running at gooland.gotdns.com although I have to admit I need some testers as I "think" I have the port issues worked out.

One thing that is perplexing though is all of the different versions of the executable. At my desktop (Vista) I am running GLpro 3.99e but at the server (XP) it will not run, I have to use the 3.99c version, makes no sense.

Anyways, I'd appreciate some feedback if you test the server.

Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:44 pm 

Troy good to hear from you. I will see if I can retrive my Q3 Disk from my bother. I'll pass on the news to my buddy Necro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:49 pm 

Let me glarify GF, Q1!!!!!!

I decided to change it Q1. Good to see you around! Hope to see you at the server.

Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:28 pm 

Got server ID see ya there

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:56 pm 

Troy McClure wrote:
One thing that is perplexing though is all of the different versions of the executable. At my desktop (Vista) I am running GLpro 3.99e but at the server (XP) it will not run, I have to use the 3.99c version, makes no sense.

I've been rapidly evolving the client and server to modernize ProQuake, but I do this incrementally so I can identify problems easily, so there are a lot of incremental releases. If I introduce a problem in an incremental release (like I did with 3.99e) I can easily trackdown the mistake.

Yes, 3.99e has a flaw in it in that was introduced last night. Probably will be corrected tonight.

Paradise wrote:
Most importantly, does your mod support axe-hook (CTF style hook)? Because that is what I use, and some may use it too.

Artifact Quake has always supported pressing 1 twice for the hook, I believe.

Quote:
Apart from getting anti-wall hack

He mentions he is using pq 3.99c as the server, so he's got anti-wallhack running. Type STATUS in the console there and will say "(antiwall-hack on)".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:29 pm 

The only concern I have guys, is the old mod - no offense to you Troy - and players using modern clients. There could be lot of conflicts as the code - for Troy's mod - is not up-to-date and in-sync with the clients players use for today, which could cause a lot of potential problems.

Enough talking by me :lol:, I will get my butt on that server later this day and report back.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:08 pm 

I could not connect, "no response," what is going on :?: 3:06 EST.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:26 pm 

I was having some issues with crashing but have it worked out. It's been up since about 5pm yesterday with no glitches. I do want to do some other work on it though so you could find it going in and out the next hour or so.

Troy