Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternating Armor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:12 pm 

What do you guys think about the alternating armor at Shmack?

I have mixed feelings although I'm leaning against it. The modification introduces randomness and a little levity, but I like knowing where I have to go to get the desired armor. I've only played one full game, but it seems like since players can only upgrade (you will always end up with more armor than when you started), there was a preponderance of armor strength. I often picked up red armor when I wasn't expecting it, and if I didn't get red armor when I looked for it, I sometimes made sure I got it the next time. This mod may make stronger players harder to kill.

toyo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:37 am 

Might and at the same time make the weaker players boogie..

I played at Ihoc the other day.. They randomly change where items are there.. I hated it when I first got in there.. But.. could I adjust to it.. Yes.. I could.. Would I want it there all the time.. No I wouldn't. Does that make sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

I'll keep it rotating for the rest of the week and see how it plays out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:42 pm 

OK. nothing like Ihoc.. you can keep it!!! I didn't understand what it was doing!!! I like it.. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:58 am 

basicly any armor is red armor if you have a spare 5 seconds. I dont like or dislike it. It would stop every player racing for the only red armor on the map which could be a good or bad thing.

Post subject: Hmm...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:19 pm 

Well, I've played with a few times and I am still unsure of whether I like it or not. I love it when I get red armor somewhere I normally wouldn't, but hate it when I don't get it somewhere I should. :)

Plus I am a highly impatient player, nine times out of ten I am going to take whichever armor is there when I get there, so I guess that will help out some newbies along the way. I don't know. I am still undecided, but it does make things more interesting. I say keep it for a little longer, why not. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:33 pm 

Quote:
but I like knowing where I have to go to get the desired armor.

How bout Slot put little signs above each rune so you know what runes has what power. Would that make the game less difficult for you Toyo?

Sorry, but.....WHINER!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:54 pm 

Alternating armor, in my opinion, makes the game easier. By chance alone, you are guaranteed a 1/3 shot of getting the red armor at EVERY armor spawn point and you can greatly increase those odds with a little patience.

I like to make judgments based on known constants. Which route should I take to get armor and weapons? Should I take a longer route to the red armor if I can pick up a yellow armor along the way? Route planning is less important if all armor spawns are basically equal in value. And if I hear an opponent pick up armor, I know what he has even if I didn't see him. This factors into how I'll proceed.

Chuck, I don't want Quake to be easier. On the contrary, I want it to be more challenging and strategic. I think having armor alternate to the highest color it originally was is one idea. For example, an original yellow armor would never become red and a green armor would always be green.

I've played several games with alternating armor and I still have mixed opinions.

toyo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:02 am 

True Toyo.. You sure don't need it easier.. But the lower end players do.. Maybe Slot should put a silencer on some of these items.. Just to keep you High enders guessing :) And put a tad of a challenge in there for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:38 pm 

Pita:
"True Toyo.. You sure don't need it easier.. "

Heh, thanks. I don't want to come across as someone who thinks he's mastered Quake though. After years of playing, I still have lots of room to improve, but I don't want to get "better" by having the game made easier. :)

toyo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:03 am 

Sooo? What would be interesting.. is to have a server that had silent grapple and silent armor.. I would really like to see how you headset boys
playout when the game is changed.. You can still hear doors and lifts.. Some of those sounds are deceiving so no big deal. Lower end players are too busy running around to pay attention to alot of the sounds so it shouldn't matter to them. Try as they may.. That can't peg where that sound actually came from. Or by the time they do.. They are dead anyway:) The way I see this is it would put spunk back into your game.. Aggravate you at first.. ;Þ Not a perm server unless you guys like it. But a fun twist.

Some know that I play without sound.. and trust me.. some of you guys manage to scare me right out of my chair! It DOES effect my game.. And was hard as hell to put that headset away.. :) But did wonders keeping the game interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:04 pm 

Pita wrote:
Some know that I play without sound..

I couldn't begin to imagine how to play w/o the sound. :shock:

Post subject: No sound...
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:53 pm 

The closest I come to playing with no sound is when I play with music. I've found hip-hop and alternative music to be the best for Quake. Something uptempo with a beat. I forgot to weed out my playlist once, and a country song came on and threw my whole game off.

Playing with music is rare for me though, I don't know how anyone would consistently CHOOSE to play without sound. But Pita's a special girl, she seems to manage just fine without it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:53 am 

I can see i'm a little late, but i'll chime in.

I'm not a big fan of the alternating armor either. I'm used to it now, but i still think it'd be better off the normal way. Or at least just have the armor be random. Like it could be green, yellow, or red armor in any location where armor normally is. So it would be spawn as a random color, but it wouldn't rotate. Even that would be better than it just alternating. I'd still prefer it to be the normal way, where different color armors are always in their usual places, and don't rotate.

It's not a big problem though. Rotating armor just doesn't seem to make much sense.

Hope these forums aren't too dead, I still love rune quake. Nice to see some people i know here, mainly toyo_mr2. You've been playing forever haven't you? I guess since i know that i've been playing quite a while as well. You may know me as "Teisel", which has been my rune quake name for a long time...for some reason. Hope to see you around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Teisel,

Use vote-rotate to toggle rotating armors on and off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:30 am 

Chuck wrote:
How bout Slot put little signs above each rune so you know what runes has what power. Would that make the game less difficult for you Toyo?

Sorry, but.....WHINER!!

Always an uneducated post from you, Chuck. With no value or substance. Thanks for being consistant.

Good point to bring up, Toyo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:15 am 

i hate rotating armor. hate waiting around for it to turn red. ID made the armor that color for a reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:23 am 

I have a bit of a different take on the rotating armor. I have found myself spawning and 1 out of 2 times can sneak up on a player who is waiting for that red armor and steal it from them. This gives me the upper hand and I can grapple the player and usually cause his death because I'm now a tougher player.

Also, this seems to piss off a player. You steal there armor and they have a tendancy to follow you if your not interested in fighting them right now.

If everybody has the opportunity to get the red armor, I really don't see this as an advantage to better players. It does increase the rune of armor strength though, but then again, when I die with this rune, I usually cough up a 200 point red armor for my opponent. I usually drop this rune after I get it into the yellow zone anyway.

The thing that I do like about the rotating armor is that we are not all fighting for the red armor room. A skilled person can control the red armor and I believe this is one of the reasons that we went to a rotating armor. I believe that it does help newbies because players (like toyo) can't walk in with the strength rune and give one shot and his opponent is dead. At least the other dude can get a shot of before I come around the corner to finish him off.

I do like the random armor idea. That is you never know what armor will spawn there. Another idea is to slow the rotation down to discourage a person from standing there for 5 seconds and waiting. Newbies will stick around, but mor savy players would probaly just take what they can get. I was thinking like every 10 seconds it rotates. This would be boring and not worthy of the wait for most players, but still have the same effect of rotating armor for the noobs.

Cc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:43 am 

keep it as is.

again, this gives weaker players some fighting chance, the same with the ice/ death spots

the idea of randomness is a prevalent quality of RQ. i mean, runes are random, so aside from the weapons, i think rotating armor is a fair deal.

with it disabled, the whole game will be divided into 2 tiers.
the "noobie" tier will pick up anything they can
while the "elite" tier will be fighting for the strongest armor in that particular room (like cc said) and trying to control it, thus creating a division within the game -- not good.

toyo, you can not predict and plan out everything in the course of the game, everything is random, life is too, you have to adjust and adapt, nothing is a set fixed pattern that you can control.

so, sorry again, but keep it the way it is.