Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ice and Death Spots Suck
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:13 pm 

Who else would like to see the ice and death spot runes retired? Other trap runes (glue, fire, anti-pack, etc.) are tolerable because normally they aren't lethal while ice and death spots are almost always fatal.

It would be fair if only players who made mistakes set off trap runes but this is often not the case.

toyo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:51 am 
Site Admin

I think ice traps and death spots help balance out some of the other strong runes like resistance and shielding. They're also a fun way to catch pesky blink users.

Is this a recent change of heart, or have you always felt this way about them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:54 am 

He's a whiner. He uses those damn runes more than anyone I know. He just got caught one to many times in an ice trap tonight, made him a little bitchy. He'll get over it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:39 pm 

Yeah, after you hear that "kzzrt!" ice trap noise 3 or 4 times he'll start complaining and finally suicide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:25 pm 

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
...he'll start complaining and finally suicide.

Are you referring to me? When did I ever complain about the gameplay during a game? In this case, it's highly unlikely since I believe players shouldn't be blamed for using runes or strategies at their disposal. Likewise, limited suicides are allowed and therefore opting to suicide to get back in the game rather than wait frozen is one strategy that I, along with many others, sometimes use.

toyo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:44 pm 

I'm just remembering what people used to do long long long ago, Toyo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:29 pm 

Ice and death spots are great runes. It prevents the experienced players from simply dominating on a map because they have to actually stop and think about if they should enter a portal or keep going around a corner because there may be a trap there. I say keep 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:33 pm 
zop.runequake.com

"When did I ever complain about the gameplay during a game?"

When did you ever talk in a game?

But seriously, I think they should be kept. Maybe add a slim chance of a trap being a dud! Though, after some though, now I think ice traps ARE a bit cheap. Maybe the rune holder should have to sit for a bit in order to place one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:48 am 

Traps are 80% of the fun of playing runequake. Remove them and you remove fun and me.

s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:47 pm 

ice traps and death spots are good. whether you like them or not, its the essence of gameplay for runequake.

if you get stuck in an ice trap, suicide. who cares? you only lose one frag and such when you only wake up and whatnot. and if you're a really good player, you'll gain frags back in no time, and at the same time you'll be laughing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:41 am 

on the "if you're a really good player" note, if you're a really good player than you avoid traps... go cautiously around corners, avoid teleporters when possible, etc.

It sucks when I am backpedaling through a map and hit a trap, but that's just part of the game. Newbies can actually get a few frags, it is what has kept runes popular for such a long time.

The other way to ditch traps is to set up a server and take them out. Back when I was involved in TLTQ, I set up Totalquake to have zero traps. I thought it was a great game flow-wise, but the newbies didn't like it and it didn't attract any extra attention from the oldies either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:48 pm 

One compromise might be to lessen the time you are actually trapped in an ice trap. I'm not with removing them completely because I like Toyo frozen. You walk up to him 'heh, whacha gonna do now tough guy huh?'

Its such a relief when he's finally frozen after having taken an ass beatin from him all night to be able to walk up and BLAM! :lol:

Sometimes I feel like smoking a cigarette afterwards. 8)

Last edited by Fuzznut on Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:06 am 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

LOL ... next time you catch him hop up and down a few times and smile before you kill him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:47 am 

Diazoild wrote:
LOL ... next time you catch him hop up and down a few times and smile before you kill him.

Oh you know I've thought about it. But just as soon as I'd do that someone would come up behind me and kill us both. Kill Toyo first, then dance! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:52 am 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

Probably a better plan. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:33 pm 

I like to shake my booty at them, but normally I get killed by a Bulldozer passing by (Bulldozer, technical term for a LPB with a mad firing rate and a quad rocket launcher).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:23 pm 

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
I like to shake my booty at them, but normally I get killed by a Bulldozer passing by (Bulldozer, technical term for a LPB with a mad firing rate and a quad rocket launcher).

Toyo hit one of my death spots tonight. Man he musta been pissed. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:05 pm 

i say keep em.they help me get a couple frags hehe :mrgreen: i like putting them in the water in the water camping at e2m1 cause noone can get in hehe :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:38 am 

The ice traps are hard to see with joequake :lol:

Don't get rid of the death traps, they are ever so funny stealing people's packs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:38 am 

I've noticed that Toyo's game style is blitzkrieg style. He likes to win a map in under 15 minutes. He doesn't talk nor talk back when in play and comes in with a serious game attitude. This is ok by me because we are all different. I really don't care, other than it makes him a very dull player who doesn't laugh or enjoy the oddities of the game play.

As far as the traps go, ice has got to be one of my favorites. I love to taunt players who are stuck in them and take them out with my axe to let them know I'm giving them a slow death. My objective is not always to win the game, but have fun doing it. Playing tricks on other players and out witting them is in my opinion what makes the game so fun.

I would like to see the death spots changed a little bit. I have never believed that they should explode. They should simply time out like any other trap. I have danced around these things before only for one to explode in my face. I used every bit of skill I had to avoid the darn thing and it still got me. Now if it were some guy with repulsion or gravity that is different and makes it quite hilarious to push an ice trap/death spot into another player.

Cc