Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: An idea
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:58 pm 

Hey Rocket Guy, that thought about being able to switch between coop and deathmatch was probably a bad idea. I was just trying to think of something to add an extra dimension to a server limited to shareware maps.

Scratch that idea (unless you've worked on that ;) It's not a bad idea but probably a little complicated.

Let me ask you this:

Many Quake clients will run custom maps with only shareware paks. FuhQuake, Trermor, QRack, JoeQuake and probably others but that's all I can think of right now.

Anyway ...

Question

With xCTF, we have to run QBSP.EXE against the maps to add entitiies like extra ammo and the flags into the map.

Could I take custom maps and use QBSP.EXE to add pak0.pak monsters into the maps so that the shareware mod could offer some new and exciting things?

I'd like the shareware servers to not be "second best" type of servers, but rather ones that offer some excellent game play and things players have not experienced before. And taking some no-monsters custom maps (Aerowalk, Q1Edge or whatever) and adding monsters into them (I could use viewpos or whatever to find good locations for the monsters and add them to a .ent file, if this idea would work).

If this is possible to do, are you interested in making an auto-exit feature where the map ends on the death of the last monster ... a lot of these maps simply do not have Exits. Also could QBSP do whatever is required to add a "start point" to those maps.

I'm willing to pretty much do all the work (if I knew what I needed to do, I could easily do all the QBSP.exe and entity file work).

Baker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:40 pm 

I am sorry but I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about map making. So, here I can't help you. I have never tried to do anything like running QBSP.exe to add entities to a map. And the idea of auto-exit when all monsters are dead I also don't like because:
-A player that recently died might not be able to reach his pack.
-In some maps the monsters that are supposed to teleport, just stay in those black boxes outside of the map so that would make the map "unexitable".
-It would make it hard get to a secret level( or normal next level if players don't want to go to the secret level).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:23 pm 

RocketGuy wrote:
I am sorry but I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about map making. So, here I can't help you. I have never tried to do anything like running QBSP.exe to add entities to a map. And the idea of auto-exit when all monsters are dead I also don't like because:
-A player that recently died might not be able to reach his pack.
-In some maps the monsters that are supposed to teleport, just stay in those black boxes outside of the map so that would make the map "unexitable".
-It would make it hard get to a secret level( or normal next level if players don't want to go to the secret level).

Never fear, I'll ask Zop or someone about the QBSP.EXE aspect of this and let you know what I find out.

You raised some good points, I investigate some of the those.

I think you have done an excellent job writing this mod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:05 pm 

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:29 am 

According to Zop, I can QBSP monsters into a map with entity files:

Code:
"classname" "monster_shambler"
"origin" "-1384 -256 -72"
"angle" "0"
"spawnflags" "769"
"target" "t169"

I'll give it a try and post a map link of a map I did it to. In the end it might be more convenient to add the entities on the Quake-C side but it's better to do it this way first because it's easier to try out.