Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: +official command? Life after the CLQ...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:44 pm 

As a few different people know, I really liked the CLQ ... especially for the purposes of competing against myself.

I only used the name "E 175" on the RuneQuake server so the stats would be pure and I could gauge new tactics week-to-week to see improvement.

The CLQ is dead. It's not coming back. So here is a potential RuneQuake suggestion ....

Quote:
What if a command were created called +official. If a player pressed a key bound to this command, it would display for all players present a message such as "E 175 has set official stats mode on."

At this point, the server would track all statistics for that player until the end of the level and output the data to a server log. It would track frag-rate, who the player killed and who killed the player and the date/time of the game. Frags not involving that player would be ignored.

The second purpose of the command would be to advertise to any other competitive players present that the player was going to try to kick your ass. Other competitive players could, in turn, activate the +official command ... essentially saying "I accept your challenge".

The stats could then be summarized by week, by player.

Ladders and tournaments don't appear to work. The raw prototype of the stats thing that Chuck set-up doesn't keep stats by week.

I think player against other players stats + fragrate would be the most interesting stats.

I don't claim to be the greatest Quake player that ever lived, I'm certainly not. But I can't deny that the majority of games I played, I played to win and I never felt satisfied on any given day if I hadn't won 2 or 3 games against some bad-asses.

Without stats tracking --- which is how it is now --- Quake has less meaning. I liked the competitive aspect of Quake. I didn't need to win every game, just put up a good fight and have something to measure it (and prove it).

I don't know how ambitious of a project this would be ... perhaps easy, or perhaps hard ... but I think it could add some new interest to the game.

Especially player v. player stats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:10 pm 

Being a fan of statistics and someone who plays hard whether I'm being recorded or not, I'm more interested in how the data is collected and interpreted than the actual data itself.

Players shouldn't have the ability to pick when they are being recorded because that severely restricts data collection and easily leads to it's manipulation.

A player's stats should reflect his overall playing style. Ideally, if a strong player plays very casually (doesn't care if he gets killed), the records should show a sample variance.

For a rating to be accurate, the strength of opposition should be factored.

Furthermore, a player shouldn't be penalized for chatting/idling during the game. Therefore, a frags to fragged ratio is a better index than frags per minute. The CLQ rating used frags per minute yet by using only the best x minutes, allowed for players to chat or be idle w/out hurting their score.

toyo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:14 pm 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

I think Jduck mentioned someone pick up on the CLQ and made their own site. You might ask him for details when you see him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:44 pm 

Toyo, I think it is fair to say that no one tries equally hard every game. That's why everyone somewhat writes it off when some highly skilled comes on a server anonymously and catches everyone else off guard (in those situations, had you known it was someone very formidable, you would have tried harder.)

Finally, such a system as I described above could also track situations were Player X decides to bail because he isn't winning. You have complained about a certain other individual doing this. That would fix this problem.

Quote:
I think Jduck mentioned someone pick up on the CLQ and made their own site. You might ask him for details when you see him.

DZ ... In the old days, I can remember Chuck being upset that CLQ didn't show Widomaker for quite a while. The Deadzone dropped off the face of the planet as far as the CLQ tracked over 18 months ago.

Besides, the CLQ didn't have per server stats. I will look into this effort that JDuck knows about, but it could be gone tomorrow just like the CLQ.

Why allow others to control the destiny of Rune Quake/RQ+?

I would love stats per server showing player summary + player vs. player stats. A tournament will probably never happen, and if it did, not necessarily mean anything. With goods stats --- you don't need a tournament.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:29 am 

Check this out. http://quake.snoot.org/

edit: err... just noticed the use of q3.

Post subject: Stats
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:29 am 

I bet if enough players expressed an interest in it that Slot could get some kinda stats thing going. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:42 am 

I've never been that excited about Quake statitics, I see enough numbers at work. :? But I do see that there are folks interested in same. What was the program you used a while back Chuck? Maybe I could give it a try on SINGED.

Post subject: statz...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 2:13 am 

http://www.gamestatus.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:17 pm 

That's interesting, but it just for the IHOC servers?

BTW - I saw your post over on the Deadzone board... guess I caught it in that small window of time after you posted and before ole Painkiller found his delete key!

Post subject: yep...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:20 pm 

Yeah whats up with that guy?

I come from the world of IHOC QUAKE
but I do have a old artifact server that
I have ran for years! It use to be on Slots
rune server list.

XMD servers are mine!
http://www.quakeboard.net is mine
http://www.gamestatus.net is also mine
+others

Post subject: also...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:37 pm 

Oops forgot to aswer your main ?'n

I can add any server to the list!
It keeps track of everyone that plays longer than 2 minutes!

sort by: server list, frags, players/clans, all player list, fragsall list,
and players/clans all list.

updates every 2 minutes and resets every sunday at midnight!

also archives all old stats!

It would be easy to setup a private runeserverlist just for RuneQuake...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:05 pm 

Cool. Maybe you could add my server?

Website with link to Message Board

The IP of your server looks close to a player I see on the Rune Quake Plus servers. Have you played on my server under a different name?

I'm running a mod called Rune Quake Plus Website which is based on Rune Quake. It has many new runes and other features.

Post subject: ok...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:25 am 

I added your server to the list!

I have several connections but today is the first
time I have ever tried your server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:48 am 

Great thanks! It seems to be picking up players already.