Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ideas for future consideration in Rune Quake
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:00 am 

There are 2 nifty things in RQuake (source - 200 KB or so) that are kind of neat that would be cool to have in Rune Quake someday.

1. Optional IP Masking cvar. No one knew how to take that IP masking code and make it not do it if the IP was local, so RQuake did the next best thing and made it a cvar.

I suppose that's better anyway for a LAN so you can tell what computer is what one if one of them is having a problem, but in reality the main reason it was a cvar so it could at least function in listen mode (yeah, there are drawbacks to that).

Other than Yugo's squake-ihoc, the only engine truly suitable for a public Quake server is ProQuake and it doesn't have inherent IP masking that I know of and most ppl that want to run a public server will want to have ip masking (if they have any common sense).

2. Optional return map. RQuake is heavily centered around the Intro map, which is a cool hub map. When the last player exits the server, 2 minutes later the server switches the map to the intro map.

This would be good for a server setup in Practice Mode or Rocket Arena mode in the event some funky map was selected by the last player.

Btw the way ... something I noticed that would improve 26001 for sure is the elimination of the time limit. It's only happened maybe 3 times to me in 1 1/2 years, but it is very weird to have a game prematurely end when the timelimit hits 30, especially in the middle of a fight.

But I can't complain because the last time it happened I won 14-13 and was going to be fragged when all of a sudden the round ended and I had like 5 health :D

Post subject: Re: Ideas for future consideration in Rune Quake
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

Baker wrote:
No one knew how to take that IP masking code and make it not do it if the IP was local, so RQuake did the next best thing and made it a cvar.

The code doesn't work because it assumes there to be a valid IP address. It will loop endlessly until it finds a dot (.) in the address, which it never does, and the server crashes. You can put a counter that returns when 16 is reached, or use a for loop which loops 16 times.

Baker wrote:
Other than Yugo's squake-ihoc, the only engine truly suitable for a public Quake server is ProQuake and it doesn't have inherent IP masking that I know of and most ppl that want to run a public server will want to have ip masking (if they have any common sense).

I do the masking in the engine, I guess that's part of the reason why I haven't included it in the mod. Also, QSmack does not work when done in the mod. The QC masking code is pretty simple to implement though, although as you noticed, it doesn't work out of the box when the server is local.

Baker wrote:
2. Optional return map.

I can see why this might be convenient for the practice server, but why rocket arena? Do you really want to join the arena server and always start with arenax (or whatever default map)? I don't like that idea.

I'll add the practice map return to DM6 on my next update.

Baker wrote:
it is very weird to have a game prematurely end when the timelimit hits 30, especially in the middle of a fight.

I agree, but I also want the timelimit on so the levels cycle. I could stop it from changing during a battle?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:59 pm 

Quote:
Baker wrote:
2. Optional return map.

I can see why this might be convenient for the practice server, but why rocket arena? Do you really want to join the arena server and always start with arenax (or whatever default map)? I don't like that idea.

I meant for the mod, not the 26001 server -- just the optional ability for a server operator to be able to set a return map if they choose.

I think it would definitely get used by server operators. I can already think of some examples.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:03 pm 

Slot Zero wrote:
Also, QSmack does not work when done in the mod. The QC masking code is pretty simple to implement though, although as you noticed, it doesn't work out of the box when the server is local.

I didn't know QSmack didn't like that. That makes things different.

Slot Zero wrote:
Baker wrote:
2. Optional return map.

I'll add the practice map return to DM6 on my next update.

I didn't mean for the server. I just meant for the mod. I can think of some uses for optional auto return map, even for Rocket Arena.

Baker wrote:
it is very weird to have a game prematurely end when the timelimit hits 30, especially in the middle of a fight.

I agree, but I also want the timelimit on so the levels cycle. I could stop it from changing during a battle?[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

Baker wrote:
I meant for the mod, not the 26001 server -- just the optional ability for a server operator to be able to set a return map if they choose.

Oh sure, I can add that. You'll even be able to select a different default map for each default mode (normal, practice, arena, match).