Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:22 am 

steve wrote:
So the game should be suited to your style of game play? Maybe you should adapt your style to the server instead of having the server adapt to you?

I could bind +sattack14 to a key and spam away with the gas grenades like a number of players do.

But what is the point? Gas grenade spam trivializes the play on a lot of the maps.

An example, some of the things in RQP that people didn't like:

1. Monster transformers (which gave absurd health or abilities)
2. Happy Ammo Rune (gave weapons and a lot of ammo)
3. Permanent armor (RQ's armor gets picked up, RQP's armor just reverts to blue and the item still is on the map for pickup if someone takes it)

No one objected to those features in RQP due to playing style, but rather because they devalued the fundamentals of the game and made finding weapons/ammo meaningless.

Among all of the issues that the gas grenade spam cause, on certain maps like mysteri points out the gas goes thru walls and kills you in areas you can't leave.

A great example is E4M2 where it is completely possible to be trapped and/or killed by gas grenades from players you can't even see (in main RL room, you can spam the corners of the room. Another example is that you can spam the underwater RL with gas grenades (although most players do not presently think about that).

E1M5 gets completely ruined because you can spam gas grenades into the lower rocket launcher area.

The gas grenade spam is a legitimate issue and eventually what it does to the balance of the game will probably be recognized (or maybe not), but either way I still enjoy playing.

I'm not bringing this up because I care about winning, I win plenty of games and don't need to win to enjoy playing anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:02 am 
Site Admin

Baker wrote:
A great example is E4M2 where it is completely possible to be trapped and/or killed by gas grenades from players you can't even see (in main RL room, you can spam the corners of the room. Another example is that you can spam the underwater RL with gas grenades (although most players do not presently think about that).

Sounds like Zop's playing guide needs to be updated! Good suggestions, Baker. There are a number of maps where these tactics can be used. Start map, when players are waiting for mega to spawn, lob a few in the grenade room or main lobby area if they're hiding close to the nails and shells.

Oh and Steve, you can shoot BFG through some walls, very thin walls, you have to have FAITH though, because if you don't you're essentially commiting suicide.. The reason is the ball of the BFG sticks out in front of the player ever so slight but it's enough for it to protrude some thin walls and the result is BFG through walls. I wonder if it works on the e4m3 teleport room? That would be a treat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:27 pm 

Steve says "So the game should be suited to your style of game play? Maybe you should adapt your style to the server instead of having the server adapt to you?"

Are you blind or is it you can't read Steve? If you would have read further on in my post, I said enhance the game for all players styles. Or is it you're to dumb to see my post in it's entirety. Take your dislike for me elsewhere and stop trying to make me look bad by quoting only parts of my posts to suit your needs. Your typical old Widow style of posting comments/quotes doesn't cut it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:13 am 

I wasn't referring to your whole post, I was referring to what I quoted. You were saying that gas and stuff go through walls and that hurts your game. I simply said, adjust your game to the server and don't wait for the server to adjust to you. Simple as that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:59 am 

oh get a room already you two. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:38 pm 

Steve, I'm not asking for my very own special fixes to the game, I'm asking that if new things are being developed for Shmack then develope things that help or affect all styles, offensive and defensive... just make the playing field level for all. Gees... you make it sound like I want everything for myself. That's why when you quote what someone says, quote the whole meaning not just part of it. I don't care about winning games or I would play differently... to me the game is to have fun, not to be able to beat my chest and say "owned" like alot of players, including you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:58 am 

Staying on topic on New Rune ideas, here's one that I thought of.

When you have this rune, you do normal weapon damage + the difference between your health and max health (100). If you have more than 100 health, you don't do any extra damage.

For example: if you have 60 health, you will do normal weapon damage + 40 damage. If you had 1 health, you'd have an extra +99 damage. And if you have 200 health, no extra damage.

Of course this rune has a disadvantage as you need low health for it to be effective, which is why I think it would be a well rounded rune.

Just a thought. I don't know if Slot actually adds new runes :)

and yes, I'm well aware on how this rune can create easy frag points on large maps where snipers can hide and use the shotgun :D