Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A List of Rune Quake Notes/Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:07 am 

I noticed that there haven't been a lot of ideas for Rune Quake posted lately, but Rune Quake is clearly the most powerful Quake mod due to all the vote-commands.

Just a list of ideas:

1. Maybe add an FFA or VOTE-FFA command that would automatically change the mode to vanilla DM FFA mode (runes off, hook off, spawn shields off, etc.) to easily switch the mode to a classic style.

2. Maybe change the vote-match command to automatically do all the things that make it a vanilla DM match mode like turn off rotating armor and such.

3. Maybe make vote-match or match mode use the classic mega health respawn time, disable button shooting activation and use classic item placement (versus the small changes on E1M1, E1M2 and such that change the RL and red armor locations).

4. "FOV-fix". Right now, a lot of players notice that when you ride someone, your FOV gets changed to usually 90, like in Rocket Arena, so if don't use that FOV you have to type it back in the console. The weirdness rune messes up FOV too.

5. "Streak". I remember the idea was once floated to print on-screen if someone killed 5 or 6 players in a row.

6. Map Rotation in external file option? Rook has CAx somehow read a levels.cfg and the Dredd server uses that levels.cfg to do the map rotation. It's kind of convenient and you don't have to recompile to set the rotation or include custom maps.

Other Ideas

Lardarse and RocketGuy apparently fully de-QCCX'd RQuake.

The run it using a ProQuake server modified with Frik_File support added so it doesn't need the QCCX functions.

Lardarse told me he has been working on de-QCCXing Rune Quake 1.2, but that things have been going slow.

Relevance of de-QCCX'd mods

LordHavoc has done some things to DarkPlaces within the last year that make the server engine a lot more desireable than in the past.

About a year ago, he made the "Quake" protocol compatible with all standard Quake clients again. Prior to that, DarkPlaces server was pretty much only compatible for DarkPlaces clients.

More recently, LordHavoc has added 2 great features to DarkPlaces server:

1. Anti-wall hack measures. There is a server setting sv_cullentities_trace 1 and it simply does not send entities to clients that they cannot see.

This is actually on by default in DarkPlaces if you play single player and it is so effective that I didn't notice it was on until 1 day I discovered I couldn't see an ever so slight corner of a healthbox I knew was there.

2. Automatic map/model downloads (Quakeworld style). Connect to a DarkPlaces server -- even if it is running the "Quake" all-clients compatible protocol -- and it will automatically download the maps/models.

I am personally wondering if this couldn't be added to, say, Qrack and JoeQuake (I'm assuming that ProQuake isn't going to be further developed in the future).

Non-DarkPlaces clients, of course, don't download the map. But they can still connect and play just like normal.

Anyway, these are just ideas. I think Rune Quake should and will eventually be the mod of choice for vanilla DM as it already is in Rocket Arena.

I've personally been working on a total conversion, fully Quake compatible project (for online use) that was greenlight'd by id Software using the Quake map sources they released last year.

It is my hope when this is done, there will be a lot more players than in the past because #1 the Quake compatible total conversion is free and legal and #2 it looks a hell of a lot better than Quake and #3 it runs like a champ. (But the player sounds need a lot of work and there is much work to do.)

[url=http://synq.quakedev.com]Image

Image[/url]

Post subject: Re: A List of Rune Quake Notes/Thoughts
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:11 am 
Site Admin

Baker wrote:
1. Maybe add an FFA or VOTE-FFA command that would automatically change the mode to vanilla DM FFA mode (runes off, hook off, spawn shields off, etc.) to easily switch the mode to a classic style.

While not so easy in 1.2, you'll be able to easily configure the default settings for ffa/vote-ffa in 1.3. As for making ffa a standard of no runes, etc, I'll need to think about that.

Baker wrote:
2. Maybe change the vote-match command to automatically do all the things that make it a vanilla DM match mode like turn off rotating armor and such.

Rotate armor is already off when you switch to vote-match. What did I miss?

Baker wrote:
3. Maybe make vote-match or match mode use the classic mega health respawn time, disable button shooting activation and use classic item placement (versus the small changes on E1M1, E1M2 and such that change the RL and red armor locations).

I could probably add a vote command to turn those options off, with the exception of the mega health respawn time. The problem with mega is that vampire would increase your health and further increase the respawn time. This might be addressed by only enabling the feature when runes are off.

Baker wrote:
4. "FOV-fix". Right now, a lot of players notice that when you ride someone, your FOV gets changed to usually 90, like in Rocket Arena, so if don't use that FOV you have to type it back in the console. The weirdness rune messes up FOV too.

More than likely I will get rid of any fov adjustments in 1.3.

Baker wrote:
6. Map Rotation in external file option? Rook has CAx somehow read a levels.cfg and the Dredd server uses that levels.cfg to do the map rotation. It's kind of convenient and you don't have to recompile to set the rotation or include custom maps.

Like CRMod, CAX uses an executable that modifies the progs.dat, similar to compiling, but much easier and far less flexible. I don't share your Microsoft approach to making things as easy as possible as to not have to do any work yourself, so I have no sympathy for those who can't figure out how to compile.

The custom map rotation in Rune Quake supports a lot of maps. In addition, it allows you to run these maps based on size, placement in list (linear), random, and sized plus a combination of linear/random.

Baker wrote:
The run it using a ProQuake server modified with Frik_File support added so it doesn't need the QCCX functions.

I certainly don't need QCCX, but I enjoy getting the most out of it. I hear what you're saying though.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:47 am 

Slot Zero wrote:
Rotate armor is already off when you switch to vote-match. What did I miss?

Maybe I didn't notice, I was just looking thru old notes to aggregate things.

Slot Zero wrote:
More than likely I will get rid of any fov adjustments in 1.3.

That's great to hear. I myself didn't mind or even notice when I used 90 ;)

I've heard a lot of different players notice this during RA or the europeans like Polarite mention this.

Baker wrote:
Like CRMod, CAX uses an executable that modifies the progs.dat, similar to compiling, but much easier and far less flexible. I don't share your Microsoft approach to making things as easy as possible as to not have to do any work yourself, so I have no sympathy for those who can't figure out how to compile.

I know changing that would probably be a ton of work, but I just wanted to mention the idea. I personally don't think compiling is that big of a deal and linear map rotation has a lot of weaknesses because the server doesn't do it based on circumstances.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

Baker wrote:
Like CRMod, CAX uses an executable that modifies the progs.dat, similar to compiling, but much easier and far less flexible.

I know changing that would probably be a ton of work, but I just wanted to mention the idea. I personally don't think compiling is that big of a deal and linear map rotation has a lot of weaknesses because the server doesn't do it based on circumstances.

It's not even that it would take a ton of work, but more so that it's not helpful in any way, unless if you want to prevent releasing the source code, which is silly.