Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Add features to Rune Quake to replace CRMOD
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:43 am 
Site Admin

desh wrote:
Another thing I would like to see implemented for match mode is the ability not be forced to spawn in immediately after being killed. After being killed, the player would need to actively choose to spawn back in (usually by pressing the jump or fire key), and if the player does not actively spawn back in, then they are then forced back into play after 5 seconds.

I thought I made it work exactly like CRMod match?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:07 am 

you might have. I noticed this on the bigfoot.quake1.net server and not on the quake.shmack.net that has the latest version. So, I guess i should test it out there first.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:18 pm 

Yah, so i tested out the spawning on the quake.shmack.net:26002 server. Here are my observations for match mode only:

I think it still forces you to spawn in too early. It should wait 5 seconds before being forced to spawn back in after a death.

If a player leaves (disconnects), the match should Pause automatically.

There should be a way to pause and unpause the match. CRMOD uses the commands "timerstart" for unpause and "timerstop" for pause. Both require 50% votes to take effect.

I'm not sure if this is already implemented, but once the match starts, it should lock-in the number of teams (only if match mode supports more than two teams) and the number of players per team so that observers can't join in at will. CRMOD uses the command "unlock" to allow new players to join the game at will. This requires 50% vote to take effect.

Match mode could be split up into three different modes: duel-match - 1on1 only, teams - two team-match only with at least two players per team, and multi-match - more than two teams, teams can consist of 1 or more players.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:28 am 
Site Admin

=peg= wrote:
what's the maximum number of custom maps that can be added to the custom maps list using the online script?

Rune Quake 1.3 officially supports 197 maps, however, most clients can't handle more than 150 map aliases sent at one time. My latest build fixes this and now supports 297 custom maps, 99 maps max for each level size (small, medium, large).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:34 am 
Site Admin

desh wrote:
Is there a way to turn off the quad and pent appearing on top of the player's head?

At the moment, no.

desh wrote:
I think it still forces you to spawn in too early. It should wait 5 seconds before being forced to spawn back in after a death.

Do you think any die hard CRMod fans will have a problem with this?

desh wrote:
If a player leaves (disconnects), the match should Pause automatically.

I have been putting this off for a long time. I don't know why.

desh wrote:
I'm not sure if this is already implemented, but once the match starts, it should lock-in the number of teams (only if match mode supports more than two teams) and the number of players per team so that observers can't join in at will. CRMOD uses the command "unlock" to allow new players to join the game at will. This requires 50% vote to take effect.

Yes, lock and unlock have been implemented.

desh wrote:
Match mode could be split up into three different modes: duel-match - 1on1 only, teams - two team-match only with at least two players per team, and multi-match - more than two teams, teams can consist of 1 or more players.

For what purpose? You can accomplish this without any mode switching.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:15 pm 

desh wrote:

For what purpose? You can accomplish this without any mode switching.[/quote]

I think what he means is that for ease-of-use, it would be nice if there were some special bundled commands that set a few of these different things for convenience.

For example, on the EuroQuake server it usually takes 5 different votes to switch between modes (vote-rotate to eliminate armor rotation, vote-spawn-shields to make sure there aren't any etc., vote-match, etc., discharge, etc.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

Baker wrote:
I think what he means is...

I would like to know what he means, cause I don't understand what you're saying.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:40 am 

Yeah, i know everything can be accomplished through the one game mode, I just thought it might be more convenient the other way. But if it causes too much bloated code, I can understand.

I was initially thinking of splitting up the 2-team match mode with the 3 or more-team match mode due to ppl creating more than two teams in order to delay or prevent a normal 2-team match starting. However, it is just as easy for a player to prevent a match from starting in the current 2-team only format, so this pretty much a moot point.

Making a distinct duel mode from the team-game match mode was due to some settings that are not the same between the two game-formats.

In Duel mode:
-All powerups should be turned off
-Turn weapon-stay on for duel matches. This is a setting that has much debate for 1v1 matches, some people loathe it, while others think playing dmm1 settings is antiquated.
-Initial spawns into match could be set. This is a new idea I had about duel matches. It would make it so initial spawns right next to each other don't occur which usually leads to one player with a significant advantage over the other. Setting the first two initial spawns (everything afterward being random) would allow for a more equitable beginning to the match. I realize this is probably more trouble than it is worth, but it might be nice.

All-in-all probably more trouble than its worth.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:05 am 
Site Admin

desh wrote:
I was initially thinking of splitting up the 2-team match mode with the 3 or more-team match mode due to ppl creating more than two teams in order to delay or prevent a normal 2-team match starting. However, it is just as easy for a player to prevent a match from starting in the current 2-team only format, so this pretty much a moot point.

Ah, that is what I originally thought you meant.

desh wrote:
Making a distinct duel mode from the team-game match mode was due to some settings that are not the same between the two game-formats.

OK. I understand now. Essentially it's match mode but different defaults for the various types of matches.

desh wrote:
It would make it so initial spawns right next to each other don't occur which usually leads to one player with a significant advantage over the other. Setting the first two initial spawns (everything afterward being random) would allow for a more equitable beginning to the match. I realize this is probably more trouble than it is worth, but it might be nice.

Do these need to be hard coded spots, or just have it so that the second players spawn point is as far away from the first as possible?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:52 pm 

Slot Zero wrote:
desh wrote:
It would make it so initial spawns right next to each other don't occur which usually leads to one player with a significant advantage over the other. Setting the first two initial spawns (everything afterward being random) would allow for a more equitable beginning to the match. I realize this is probably more trouble than it is worth, but it might be nice.

Do these need to be hard coded spots, or just have it so that the second players spawn point is as far away from the first as possible?

It would definitely be a more tedious task to make them hard coded spots, due to wanting to choose which spots for each map. So making the two players spawn as far away as possible from each other might be the better way to go, especially if it is an easier task.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

=peg= brought up an interesting suggestion. What about spawning the armor, mega, and powerups (if applicable) about 20 seconds after the match starts? Would that be as effective? This way regardless where you spawn, you have the opportunity to get the first RA, (on dm6 for example).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:37 pm 

That is an option, but I think that would alienate the players who currently like to play 1v1 matches. dm6 is rather balanced in that green armor+mega is only slightly less than red armor (280 vs. 300), so if one player spawns on red armor side and the other on green armor+mega side, then the it is rather balanced. However, if two players spawn next to each other with one getting red armor and then getting mega, as they would have complete control of the map, and it makes for a very unbalanced start.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:45 am 

desh wrote:
dm6 is rather balanced in that green armor+mega is only slightly less than red armor (280 vs. 300), so if one player spawns on red armor side and the other on green armor+mega side, then the it is rather balanced.

except that GA+MEGA deteriorates much faster then RA..

warsow has this delayed spawning of tactical items and it works really well i think..
anyways..
if there was a "vote-spawn-delay" option to enable/disable this behavior we could test it out and see how effective it is and how people like/dislike it..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:59 pm 

=peg= wrote:
if there was a "vote-spawn-delay" option to enable/disable this behavior we could test it out and see how effective it is and how people like/dislike it..

Don't work him to death ;)

He's the only the who can do this stuff :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:16 pm 

hehe, that's certainly not my objective.. in fact i was planning on doing it myself.. however.. since i never did any qc modding whatsoever it's quite a steep learning curve..
so i figured i'd make a list of the things i'd like to see added/changed/fixed and post it all at once.. (rather then bothering slot over and over ;))

also.. the spawn-delay can effectively already be done with rcon.. (or a server-side script/"bot"/"magic") ,
just not as convenient ;)

so i figured it wouldn't be too hard to add this in the mod itself.. (i may be wrong)

anyways.. its a tried and tested concept that will solve all "unfair-player-spawn" related issues..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:09 pm 

=peg= wrote:
hehe, that's certainly not my objective..

Eh, maybe I shouldn't have said anything. I just worry about stuff getting stocked up with features that get tried once or twice and then never again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:54 am 

Baker wrote:
I just worry about stuff getting stocked up with features that get tried once or twice and then never again.

*cough* runes *cough* :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

Baker wrote:
I just worry about stuff getting stocked up with features that get tried once or twice and then never again.

There are currently 34 vote options in the mod, more than 20 of those options are default options that will reset when the server empties out or changes modes.