Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: vote-kick
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:08 am 

I have really been giving the vote-kick idea more thought. I realize the possibilities of abuse for this and I think I may have a solution that would make it work.

First, the reason why I believe there should be a vote-kick command... This command would be used to get rid of either annoying players or bots.

The command should be used something like this... you drop to console and type the command "vote-kick" and a list of the current players would come up with their colors and a number listed next to their name (0-15). You then enter a number and the vote goes out for vote. It sayd, "Type Yes in console to kick CrAzIcRaCkEr from the game". In order for this player to get kicked, it requires every active player to "yes" it except the one who is being voted on.

The exceptions to the rule is that there must be at least 4 players (or more) that are active in the game (not AFK) and the player that is being voted on must be in the game and not AFK and the player that is being voted on must of been in the game for at least 3 minutes. The 3 minute rule prevents people from pre-judjing a player. This would prevent a couple of buddies getting in the game and kicking every player that showed up just so that they could own the server. The player being kicked, would be kicked for the rest of the map and be allowed back in at map change.

I realize that good players could be kicked that are not annoying anybody, but I have seen games where one person beats everybody so badly that none of the players want to stick around. For example 1st place is super star player with 50 frags, followed by second place with 23, third place with 21, 4th with 15, and so forth. The 50 frag player is out of his league in this particular instance and should be kicked because this is no real challenge to him anyway.

I also think it is fair to say that if everybody wants you out of the game, then it should be their right to kick you out. This seems to me nearly impossible to abuse the vote-kick command with the aforementioned exceptions and requirements on kicking a player.

What are your thoughts?

Cc

Post subject: Re: vote-kick
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

CrAzIcRaCkEr wrote:
I also think it is fair to say that if everybody wants you out of the game, then it should be their right to kick you out.

I strongly disagree with this statement. In fact, this the key reason why I have not implemented a vote-kick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:29 pm 

Surely there would be at least one person on the server who would either not agree with kicking a player or be too much of a newbie to not know how to do it.

Cc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:26 pm 

There would be some players that would be constantly initiating a vote-kick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:17 am 

Then we limit the vote-kick initiation to one per user per map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:49 am 

If you remember trinicom, then you'd remember that there would always be someone spamming vote-kick when the room was pretty much full. They'd constantly say "YES IT" too. It was annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:01 pm 

Canadian*Sniper wrote:
If you remember trinicom, then you'd remember that there would always be someone spamming vote-kick when the room was pretty much full. They'd constantly say "YES IT" too. It was annoying.

Hmm, that is no different than the vote-map command now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:56 pm 

CrAzIcRaCkEr wrote:
Then we limit the vote-kick initiation to one per user per map.

One time I got vote-kicked off some miscellaneous server 5 or 6 years ago and hadn't done anything to provoke it. I never really felt welcomed/comfortable at that server again due to that incident.

If I got voted-kicked off Shmack, it wouldn't bother me because I've played there for years. I doubt it would bother you either.

But some people have a very different reaction to being kicked and even seeing their name on-screen for a vote-kick vote "Vote to kick ThatGuy" might be really disturbing to some players.

Plenty of times I've played at Shmack in games where there were 6 players including myself and the other 5 players are absolutely convinced I am cheating.

With the maturity level of some of the players that occasionally play on Shmack, I think a vote-kick would be major nuisance.

CAx had a vote-kick feature and it was only used to harass other players when some argument erupted; eventually it was removed because it was only good for disrupting games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:20 pm 

Okay, maybe its not such a good idea in the end. But I think you have played me enough (under enough different names) to know that I only complain about illegitimate players and your game would be safe when I am at the server.

;)

Cc