Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Voting bug
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:27 pm 

I haven't looked at the code, but I believe that observers are being counted in the total number of players for votes.

For example, if there are 5 active players and 2 observers, a vote requires 4 yes votes to pass, even though the observers (correctly) aren't allowed to vote.

Post subject: Re: Voting bug
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

The default vote percentage is 51%. If there are 5 active players, 3 votes would trigger the vote so long as nobody voted no. Each no vote contributes to the amount of lacked votes. To get a list of who voted and how many votes you need use the show-votes command. The player with the gold dot next to his name initiated the vote while your vote (if you voted) appears in bronze. The command also reports how many votes are needed to pass. Keep in mind that the default vote percentage for levels which have been recently played (last 3-5 levels), will have a 100% vote percentage.

On a related note and could be the contributing factor to your problem, the show-votes command would display the names of players who had auto-votes but were observers. This wouldn't disrupt the vote counts, but you would see more names on the list than had actually been counted. I fixed this as of 1.3.76.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:45 pm 

I didn't know about the last 3-5 level thing, so that might explain previous concerns. I already knew about show-votes. But this is still buggy. The problem might be with "no" votes.

Just now there were 5 active players. I initiated a vote (vote-shields, not a level vote), and it said it needed 2 more to pass. So far so good.

Then one player voted no. After that it said it needed 3 more to pass (which would be 4 total, out of 5 players). Bug.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:09 am 
Site Admin

Your description is exactly how it should work. A no vote indicates a vote against the active vote, adding a 1 to the total required to trigger it. This gives function to actually voting no, otherwise what would be its purpose?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:10 pm 

My understanding of a "no" vote as established in the mod is that it would not bother you to vote anymore for the same thing, and would essentially be the same as a non-vote. Useful mainly if someone keeps trying to submit the same failed vote.

I'll try to clarify my explanation of what happened.

5 active players. 1 of them (me) voted in favor of something. Vote counts show 2 more votes (i.e. 3 out of 5) needed to pass.

1 of the remaining players now votes no. Vote counts show 3 more votes (i.e. 4 out of 5) needed to pass.

How is that not a bug? Are you saying that a "no" vote should increase the required vote count needed to pass? Because that's how it was working.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:25 am 
Site Admin

funkify wrote:
Are you saying that a "no" vote should increase the required vote count needed to pass?

Yes, that's exactly correct.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:35 pm 

Thank God that's how it works.

I usually do 'never' though instead of no as it's usually someone trying to change the map to e1m7, start or end. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:08 am 

I left this discussion alone because of how ridiculous it was. What you are saying is that a "no" vote effectively cancels out any yes vote. Here's an example demonstrating that yes, this is a bug, and yes, it is rather absurd.

3 players on the server. 1 initiates a vote (yes). 1 vote for, 2 non-voters.

Another (me) votes no. 1 vote for, 1 vote against, 1 non-voter.

The non-voter should be able to vote yes to pass the vote as a majority, right? Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. After my "no" vote, now there are 2 more "yes" votes required to pass. But there are not 2 more non-voting players, and one of the players who voted already voted yes. So if any player in this situation votes no, even if a majority vote yes, the no vote cancels out a yes vote and prevents the majority from passing.

A "no" vote should not affect the weight of "yes" votes. In the past, a "no" vote would simply prevent the player from being notified about a repeat of the same vote during the same round. That's how it should work.

See attached screenshot.

Attachments:
quake09.jpg
quake09.jpg [ 75.21 KiB | Viewed 43937 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:17 am 
Site Admin

Voting no has always affected the outcome of a vote. While true initially 'no' was 50% of a yes vote, I changed it to 100% many years ago. As for your scenario, if player 1 initiates a vote and player 2 votes against it, it is no longer possible for the vote to pass regardless of what player 3 votes. You simply have to wait for more players to appear to vote OR you ask the player voting no to please vote yes.

Not a bug, a desired effect.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:08 pm 

Not to flog a dead horse, but why is this desirable? It sounds like you need 51% of the total voters, not 51% of the total players to get a vote through.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:17 am 
Site Admin

I can't please everyone so I just have it working in a way that pleases me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:04 am 
zop.runequake.com

Can we pay money to get a vote through? This is America, after all.