Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rune Quake; The Next Episode
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

As you might have read on the news section of this site, in my spare time, I'm going to start adding new runes to the Rune Quake source code. A lot of the rune concepts will be taken from various other rune variants, including, but not limited to,

Zol Quake
Zopmod
Blue Cherry Artifact
Hampton Roads
Rocketland Mod
Dead Zone
RQA
RQP

It is my goal to provide as many unique runes as possible and allow the server op (admin) to choose which runes are best for him.

In addition to runes I will be adding more weapons; a lot more. My goal is to have as many weapons as there are runes. I've also got a nice little twist on how to accomplish this, which I'm anxious to implement, but my first priority is getting some more runes added.

Finally, I would like to add that feedback is extremely important. If you discover a bug or an oddity, please let me know. I will try and make small additions, such as bug fixes and suggestions on a daily basis, but my time really isn't what it used to be. The 30-60 hour Quake weeks are a thing of the past for me. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:44 pm 

Great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:57 pm 

Feel free to use anything from any code I've worked on with no questions asked (eh, it's GPL anyway so you don't even have to ask 8) ).

Also to address this issue for your 1.0 goal: a frozen shambler can still attack you

This may be simple to fix as Sub_nulling the Shambler's .th_melee field while it's frozen, then setting it back to default afterwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:09 pm 

IEEE, that's the spirit :P

Er, except the thing about organ and tissue donation that's on the gif. Well, I dunno, that's up you guys, maybe you can do that too. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:25 pm 

Well if you think of runes as organs and tissues as weapons it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:39 pm 

My suggestion ... These features need to be added

This is a special feature of the Ammo Rune. If you have the ammo rune and manage to MAX OUT on rockets + cell, press Rune-Use and initiate a nuclear detonation sequence.

A warning displays for all players on-screen that a 10 second countdown has been intiated (and perhaps a sound).

If the player is not killed in 10 seconds, EVERYONE dies ... not even Pent or Environmental protection can stop it.

If the nuke detonation occurs, everyone sees a flash grenade-like effect (the explosion) and EVERYONE dies ... no backpacks remaining.

The user gets 1 frag for each dead player -1 himself. During the 10 second countdown, KILL command doesn't work.

If a user can achieve 150 health + 200 armor + 100 rockets + 100 cell +100 shells + 100 nails, all weapons become the equivalent of the AirGun/RQP Wind Blast rune. Using the force requires no ammo and effects all players visible when it is being used.

The user looks in a direction, fires any weapon which instead of firing a grenade/etc blows back all opponents in sight like a super airgun and inflicts a good amount of damage. This attack uses no ammo.

If the player's health drops under 150 or armor drops under 200, it's gone. So even a single shot might end "the force" or natural mega health decay. In fact, if a user gets "The Force" ... they should lose their rune too (don't want a vamp or lumberjack or jack of all runes or good health situation).

I made these little promo banners for inspiration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:38 am 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

I have a few suggestions not related to runes (layout of source files, new admin features, monster power ups, etc.). Are these items beyond the scope of this project?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Diazoild wrote:
I have a few suggestions not related to runes (layout of source files, new admin features, monster power ups, etc.). Are these items beyond the scope of this project?

Absolutely not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:37 pm 

Diazoild wrote:

You mean like in Rune Quake Plus, DZ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

Ideally, it would be nice if all of the developers of Rune Quake projects could work together and edit the same source. Eventually, the features you see on Dead Zone, Rune Quake Plus, or any other Rune Quake variant, will end up in Rune Quake. There is no reason why we can't all work together. I may not have been willing to do this in the past, but I am now, so whoever else is willing, welcome aboard.

I would also like to extend the invitation to those developers who don't work on any Rune Quake project, but want to get involved in the action.

Rune Quake is already one of the greatest mods ever created. Why not be apart in making it even greater!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:41 pm 

It would be helpful to have all the files an operator needs to edit within one folder, if possible. Include files like settings.qc, rune.qc, admin.qc, users.qc, etc. Some of this is done in RQA/RQP.

Take a look at the admin features in that code as well. There is a system to enable a user number and admin code for as many people as you want. This is rather helpful when you have several admins. It also records the user number when an admin feature is used (I don't think this was in Rune Quake).

The monster power ups IEEE created on various levels are rather popular with most players and adds something new and fresh. I would put them high up on my wish list.

What about more lines of text on the splash screen? My hunch is that this is not a trival matter or it probably would have been down by now.

Can the rider key be toggled in the existing code (I don't mean in admin-mode)? If not, that would be a good option. I've never understood why someone should be alerted that they are being observered.

There have been discussions about some anti-cheat code running at IHOC. Everytime I bring the subject up it dies. I saw a post where an IHOC player stated that our stats are not valid because we don't run this code, but no one seems to want to share it. From what I gathered, it checks the number of successive dead on shots or something. I'm sure there is much more to it than that, but it would be nice to incorporate such code if it doesn't give false positives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:53 pm 

The rune-list command would come in handy too, I added it to Rune Quake Plus so players could tell which runes were active (or disabled) at the server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

All of these are great suggestions and will be incorporated in future versions of Rune Quake, at the very least, as an option.

Thank you,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:01 pm 

Im not sure if you would really want to, but you can use any of the things I made. Nothing special but my things arent going anywhere anyways.

SpeakNow.QuakeOne.Com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:55 pm 

I thought that box in your mod was original and interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:09 pm 

Dreadful wrote:
Im not sure if you would really want to, but you can use any of the things I made. Nothing special but my things arent going anywhere anyways.

No Dread, don't get down on your mod. You invested a lot of time and effort into what you did and that effort and creativity shows.

By the way, you should get a kick how of that pic, anyway, isn't it the most heinous thing you've seen slapped together :shock:

[Btw, Dredd, your site is listed at http://hypergate.runecentral.com/]

Last edited by Baker on Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:10 pm 

If that pic above is my making you guys laugh your a** off, something's wrong with you. :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:22 am 
Site Admin

Where's Reid when you need him? Oh wait, when do you ever need him!!?? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:36 am 

And the "coolexits" would be "cool" to make standard. They're changes like episode exits teleport to other exit teleporters (start map) or they give you health/armor/ammo. Check out coolexits.pf in my code, they're just two modified functions moved to a new file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:41 am 

I don't know about standard, there are people that don't care for them.