Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EZ to config (settings.qc?) end/start of level msgs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:13 am 

There should be some easy to configure end of level and start of level messages. Probably in settings.qc ; would be even better if there were a way to do it in real time (change on the fly without restarting the server.)

Also ... a BIG ONE ... it should output to console at the end of levels how long it took to complete the level. I like to know. It is personally very desirable to know, especially if I won, whether it was 12 minutes or 18 minutes. Getting 50 frags in 18 is "ok", getting 50 frags in 12 minutes is outstanding.

http://www.GameStatus.Net stats, http://www.GameAholic.Net Q1 servers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:53 am 

It's used because it's easy to obtain the data and comprehend, as opposed to a rating derived from a complex formula, but frags per minute is a poor gauge of a player's strength.

50 frags in 12 minutes against 8 newbies on the start level is less impressive than 50 frags in 29 minutes against a highly skilled player on any map.

toyo

Post subject: Re: EZ to config (settings.qc?) end/start of level msgs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Baker wrote:
Also ... a BIG ONE ... it should output to console at the end of levels how long it took to complete the level. I like to know. It is personally very desirable to know, especially if I won, whether it was 12 minutes or 18 minutes. Getting 50 frags in 18 is "ok", getting 50 frags in 12 minutes is outstanding.

All you need to do is hit the TAB key and drop the console. The level complete time is on the bottom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:23 pm 

Quote:
50 frags in 12 minutes against 8 newbies on the start level is less impressive than 50 frags in 29 minutes against a highly skilled player on any map.

... or the fun of 50 frags in 12 minutes against 3 highly skilled players on DM2, heh heh.

toyo_mr2 wrote:
It's used because it's easy to obtain the data and comprehend, as opposed to a rating derived from a complex formula, but frags per minute is a poor gauge of a player's strength.

All of what you say is true. We presently only have so many statistics available to us. Spend time from time to time to advocate better statistics being available.

Frags per minute is kind of an empty statistic. It depends on the number of players present, the level and quality of competition. There is a thread I started at http://www.quakeboard.net/ where I talk with Jackhole about a statistically sound alternative and where he indicates that GameStatus.Net is going to a new ranking formula. The thread is called "Better way to do rankings?"

I also would like to develop a PHP/MySQL statistics package for Quake, but I'd need Quake to output data to a non-console log type of file.

Also, at RQPLus, I discussed with IEEE whether or not is possible to make a Quake Mile-O-Meter. This would measure how much a player travels on a level, which I feel is something that distinguishes a weak high fragger (defensive) from a strong one (offensive).

Slot, this may sound like a dumb question, but since I don't know, I have to ask. Do you have the ability to make changes to, say, the ProQuake engine? I am not thinking of any large changes, but merely simple file i/o at the end of a level to a non-console log file to output player/frag pairs + the name of the level and the time to support a statistics package.

http://www.GameStatus.Net stats, http://www.GameAholic.Net Q1 servers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Baker wrote:
Slot, this may sound like a dumb question, but since I don't know, I have to ask. Do you have the ability to make changes to, say, the ProQuake engine? I am not thinking of any large changes, but merely simple file i/o at the end of a level to a non-console log file to output player/frag pairs + the name of the level and the time to support a statistics package.

I do work on the ProQuake engine, but not publicly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:38 pm 

baker, there is also a mod called qdqstats, all it does is at the beginning it tells what skill the server is running on, and at the end it shows the precise time, down to i think .000001 seconds.