Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removal of "The Installation"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:12 am 

The "Installation" map is incredibly annoying.

You can have 13 players on the server and a great thing going. Then that map hits and for some reason it is impossible to ever obtain a vote-exit when more than 8 players are present.

What happens is that about 5 of them leave within a couple of minutes because the map is so dull. Then 2 or 3 recommend either another server or playing RA or something. Then, as far as I can tell, a couple of other players decide it is a good time to eat or take a dump or whatever and go obs.

Then five players, usually all of them 3-fraggers, duke it out for the full 30 minutes (of course) struggling to locate one another on an awkwardly complex map that is difficult to navigate.

It would be really nice for that map to be eliminated from the map rotation the next time you change the code. Players could always vote to play that level if they wanted to play it.

Other than that, the map rotation is perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:40 am 

You forgot to describe the perpetual pent room campers!

Actually I think it's fun (in a challenging way) when they do that... that is my favorite campsite to raid in all of Quake, hehhehhhehe.

I like the map. :wink:

The one in the rotation that I can't stand is E4M2, The Tower of Despair... it is so dark, all the good weapons usually get camped, and I just generally don't care for the flow of the map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:26 am 

funkify wrote:
You forgot to describe the perpetual pent room campers!

That is so funny, considering how few players venture down the well to go there.

funkify wrote:
The one in the rotation that I can't stand is E4M2, The Tower of Despair... it is so dark, all the good weapons usually get camped, and I just generally don't care for the flow of the map.

I don't like that map a great deal, but at least there is a fury of activity.

Several players like that map.

I'd have to say that my favorite maps are probably Azure Agony, the Ebon Fortress and other E4 maps minus E4M1 and E4M2.and E4M6.

Not my favorite Quake map, but since many players love it, it ranks up there in my book.

I like this level but only with a lot of players. It can bog down with less than 8 players.

Really good map to own a botter on.

This is my 2nd favorite map. Can't recall any dullness on that level and it has several campsites to raid. Most campers love the squisher, wonderful level.

I can remember a camper-style player constantly bitching about this map and encouraging a vote-exit. I was playing Hydro and I think we had this map quickly over. (The camper guy was still complaining when Hydro and I had 40+ frags and I was just thinking "Dude, this map is going to be over the natural way soon enough, why are you still complaining about it?")

Has the appearance of being a good camper map, but unless a camper is camping the squisher with the Environmental Rune, none of the tent-sites are much of a bother.

A nice level for players of any skill. Everyone gets squished once or twice and everyone loves that feature.

My favorite Quake map. I'll do a vote-exit if other players are unhappy about it, but the size and various structural elements allow for full use of all Quake weapons and tactics.

This map plays really well, but is subject to some aggravations as well.

Contains some impenetrable camp locations and some skilled players semi-camp this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:06 am 

Baker wrote:
Contains some impenetrable camp locations and some skilled players semi-camp this one.

Impenetrable? Hahaha, there's no such thing! :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:54 am 

The Nameless City has, of course, the hole where a bunghole can grenade spam above the red armor. And, usually a bunghole will be there.

You can take the elevator and waste time with it, but you'll lose the game if you are trying to win because it is unproductive. He'll just go back there anyway.

I'm not complaining. Campers represent an interesting diversion -- a "treat" if you will.

As Lefty says, "Tastes like chicken."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:17 am 

Depends whether it is close or not. If it's a close game I usually won't go for the difficult frags because of the challenge of keeping ahead/catching up, but if I'm way ahead or way behind, I always will take the difficult campsite challenge, hehehhe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:43 am 

You what know? The Pent camper guy did a vote-E2M1, he's done this before, and others voted for it. So I guess some players do like the level.

I might try to get one of these levels voted some time, as far as I can tell they are not in the map rotation.

Last night there was a game on DM6 with 16 players and that just doesn't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:52 am 

e3m5 and e2m7 are good maps in my opinion. e3m3 actually IS in the rotation, and it gets played frequently. The others that you showed shots of in the above post aren't my cup of tea. I don't think e1m8 or end are in the rotation, but I love those. Once not too long ago e1m8 actually got voted through on a full server, and people were loving it. :-)

Oh, there is not just one pent room camper on e2m1. That's a typical newbie craze... there are several people who will do it. Heck, I've even done it. I even caught someone there last night... empty server except the one guy, was on that map, and where was he sitting? The pent room, of course... lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:24 pm 

Quote:
Oh, there is not just one pent room camper on e2m1. That's a typical newbie craze... there are several people who will do it. Heck, I've even done it.

I have a demo of Lit*Nonpoint racking up 50 frags in less than 5 minutes by camping the rocket launcher on Vaults of Zin. Camping can be funny ;)

I can't quite bring myself to do it, I may experiment with camping as some of the maps with the sheer number of players there are usually 5 or 6 campers.

I might start taking their spots 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

e1m4 The Grisly Grotto
e1m6 The Door To Chthon
e1m8 Ziggurat Vertigo
e2m3 Crypt Of Decay
e2m7 Underneath
e3m4 Satan's Dark Delight
e3m5 Wind Tunnels
e4m1 The Sewage System
e4m6 The Pain Maze
end Shub-Niggurath's Pit

These levels are not in the rotation.

I semi-liked e2m7 as well. Maybe I'll sneak it in the rotation this week and give it a whirl.