Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:18 am 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

yellow#5 wrote:
...As Baker said, it's funny how excited people seem to get about cheaters....

You are kidding yourself if you believe there is no one currently using the "stick" pak on servers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:12 am 
Site Admin

Diazoild wrote:
It would seem logical to eliminate this functionality in tandem with the ride-key.

While you're at it, you might consider removing the "player joined the game" and "player became an observer" messages. This is yet another way for cheaters to keep an eye on who is in the game and who is observing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:16 pm 

Diazoild wrote:
You are kidding yourself if you believe there is no one currently using the "stick" pak on servers.

I never said I don't think anyone cheats. I'm just saying the very few people who actually want to cheat at a totally meaningless game don't keep me up at night. I understand that as an admin, you have an interest in preventing cheating, but I don't wanna see elements of the game I enjoy changed cause of fear of cheaters.

How about this for an idea: make it so that anyone who connects as a certain name, like "voyeur", will not show up at all to the players. They can't play or chat, just observe without anyone knowing they're even connected. That would actually be really cool.

In related news, some hpb name "Belphegor" was botting last night on shmack port 02. An hpb trying to bot is pretty funny. Hydro got a demo I suspect he'll submit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:25 pm 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

I'm not overly paranoid about cheaters and agree that they are the exception to the game. On the other hand, there are people that don't believe we do enough to track down and ban cheaters ( maybe this falls under you can't please them all).

My response to the few people that continue to make unsubstantiated claims about cheaters is to send me a demo. The response I often hear is that the rider key foils their attempts to obtain demo of the cheaters in action. This is why I initiated this thread.

I spend a lot of time plaing Quake. The only server operator I can think of that spends more time playing on the servers is Yugo. So I don't believe the solution is increasing admin presents on the servers.

I didn't intend to stir things up here and will now just claim up (I already posted I rest my case above). :?