Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Custom Maps Code?
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:56 pm 

In a post from a while back, you integrated a much easier method of putting custom maps on the server.

Would it be difficult to get custom maps on 26002? (If difficult, then ignore this post).

The reason I bring this up, with team-play so few maps play well. DM3, DM2, DM6 and that's about it. Anyone who plays any CA at all should be bored to tears with DM3.

I'm not asking for any maps to be added to the map "rotation", just that they are available in "CUSTOM" so they can be voted (for team games mostly).

Among some of the better team maps:

Q1Edge
Fragtwn5,6,7
Croctear (looks like a good team map)
GENDM1 (oddly enough, not at ftp.runequake.com although GENDM2 is?)
DAMAUL7 (not at ftp but DAMAUL2 is?)
SOFDM1
SOFDM4 (not at ftp.runequake.com?)
OLDWEST (looks cool)

In my spare time I am going to examine the missing holes at ftp.runequake.com/quake/maps and I'll assemble a list of missing maps.

My goal with looking at the maps is a map download that will allow one to play custom maps on any well known server (download one map pak and be set).

Any exceptionally good team maps, I probably make a locs file.

Btw, without having to look through all the quake docs for the answer, what is the command in Quake that causes X,Y,Z coordinates to be displayed? I need this to make ProQuake locs files for maps.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:58 pm 

Slot,

Does the 1.0 release available for download have the capability for players to select maps by typing the name in the console?

If so, then to add more maps to the console commands should I just add higher impulses than the ones are there? Is there a limit? Or do you suggest a different way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

funkify wrote:
Does the 1.0 release available for download have the capability for players to select maps by typing the name in the console?

Yes.

funkify wrote:
If so, then to add more maps to the console commands should I just add higher impulses than the ones are there? Is there a limit? Or do you suggest a different way?

In order to add custom maps without the hassle of modifying each function with the various impulses, etc., you'll need to run the map script using Perl. If you have access to a machine running linux, you can run the script on there or you can download ActivePerl (for Windows) or Cygwin (Linux emulator for Windows).

First you must modify the map script, in the src folder. I left a template of the maps I used to use on port 26001, this will give you an idea of how to modify the @custom_lev array. Once you've made your changes the last thing to do is comment out the line of code that wipes the array out.

Line 218 in rq 1.0 source same file:

Change from:
Code:
@custom_lev = ();

To this:
Code:
#@custom_lev = ();

Or, simply remove the line.

If for some reason you can't get the map script to run, zip up map script and send it to me and I'll run it for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:10 pm 

Thanks for your help, I'll try it as soon as I have a chance. By the way, I'm still looking forward to a new RQ release! :-)