Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: why is shmack always populated?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:42 pm 

Cheats. It can be seen very easily when a frag occurs that without cheats it would never have happened. Example is you have camo rune, you are not moving, 3 players run past you, the 4th player runs by, comes back looks at you, and fires rl to get frag. How is that player able to see camo when you are not moving. Key to your answer is "not moving". No other rune negates camo so it's cheats. Now this should be good. I'd like to hear all the "well you moved, even tho you didn't touch you mouse, quake will move you" type answers. And no, the player didn't have rune that would make me move. She's been accused of cheating before, by others, so maybe, just maybe, there is some fact to it. Especially when she was a below average player and now, by the grace of god is a star all of a sudden.

Post subject: Re: why is shmack always populated?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

mysteri wrote:
How is that player able to see camo when you are not moving. Key to your answer is "not moving".
  • You were seen picking up the rune, maybe by an observer who was about to join the game.
  • The person who walked past you touched you and could feel a blockage so she went back to investigate.
  • You killed someone in that general area by hiding with camo and they realized how they were killed and came back to seek vengeance.
  • You shot at someone who wasn't looking at you, but someone who you couldn't see spotted you.
  • Someone took a blind shot in an area they always shoot.
These are just a few possibilities.
mysteri wrote:
No other rune negates camo so it's cheats.

That's not true. Any rune that causes you to move or does damage to you makes you visible. There are well over a dozen runes that can do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:57 pm 

Bind one of your keys to record a demo, like bind home "record demo". Also bind end "stop" to stop recording. Each time you start a new map hit p, if you see something rename "demo.dem" in your id1 directory before you hit home again. As you pointed out, it's diffifcult for people on the board to speculate over what happened so this way you can show everyone.

Shmack is a busy server because runequake is an appealing mod for newbs. Even if you suck you will stillf frag some very good players sometimes. Slot has also made it as easy as possible for newbs to figure out how to play. If you're refering to Tia, she's not a cheater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:27 pm 

"You were seen picking up the rune, maybe by an observer who was about to join the game."

Nope, player was in the game and playing and I had the rune for a while

"The person who walked past you touched you and could feel a blockage so she went back to investigate. "

Nope, player was well away from when she ran by

"You killed someone in that general area by hiding with camo and they realized how they were killed and came back to seek vengeance."

Nope, I hadn't shot at anyone from the spot I was in

"You shot at someone who wasn't looking at you, but someone who you couldn't see spotted you. "

Nope, I hadn't shot at anyone from the spot I was in

"Someone took a blind shot in an area they always shoot."

Nope, as I said player came back, looked at me and shot.

"That's not true. Any rune that causes you to move or does damage to you makes you visible. There are well over a dozen runes that can do that."

Please understand what you read... i stated this in previous post...

"And no, the player didn't have rune that would make me move."

All of what you say is true Slot, but understand none of what you say was the case in this case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

mysteri wrote:
All of what you say is true Slot, but understand none of what you say was the case in this case.

Unfortunately I need more proof then just your observation to take action. I know that you're aware how to make demos because we discussed it on the 26002 server. If you have any demos you would like to show me, just e-mail them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:15 pm 

I'm not asking that you do something just on my word. I realize proof is needed, but at least when something happens again and proof is provided, you will have this as prior documentation to show that it is a consistent problem.

ok, demos will be made of each level played. Yellow no.5 told me i can start a demo at the start of each map as he does normally. I'll start doing the same from now on. Thanks Slot... I know it might sound like all I do is complain but with 12-16 players in a game everyday, it's hard enough to just join. get a weapon and play for a few minutes, sometimes seconds, before getting fragged, plus have to worry about players who use "enhancements" to their skills.

By the way, it was not Tia... it was another female player where she was the focus of a bot/cheat discussion once before by other players. I don't want to say who at this point, but with a demo and if it or something else fishy happens again then I will name her. Funny thing is I asked when it happened how she was able to see me with camo when no one else who came near did... naturally she didn't reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:35 pm 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

It is my understanding that when you are "invisible" using the Camo rune, the player model does not exist. If this is true, even a "PAK2" cheat would not detect someone standing still with Camo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:59 pm 

I'm pretty sure Diazoild is right, not even a cheater has a possibility to detecting a camo player because there is no model.

Camo can unwittingly be detected by repulsion rune, radiation and gravity wells which all cause a player to be visible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:58 am 

If you have two computers side by side, you could run Quake on both of them, connected to the same server. Play on one, leave the other in "rider" mode so you always know exactly where your victim is, how much ammo and health, what rune, etc. I've never tried this so I don't know how practical it is. But in theory it will defeat even camouflage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:09 pm 

That's not real discreet with the the rider key and iplogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:25 pm 

"A female Urdead" I didn't think it was possible. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:40 pm 

No one, male or female, can compare to your buddy Urdead. He is one in gazillion. God didn't even have a mold to throw away when he made him, it was done freehand as a beta test to help iron out the kinks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:59 am 

Yugo2Heck wrote:
If you have two computers side by side, you could run Quake on both of them, connected to the same server. Play on one, leave the other in "rider" mode...

I doubt this happened in mysteri's case, but you can also ride each player briefly before respawning to check their status and location.

Humans aren't always rational, but why would a cheater attract undo attention to himself? If a cheat allowed you to see someone hiding with the camo rune, possibly with the intention of detecting cheaters, would you attack that player for an easy frag or dismiss him to not raise suspicion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:48 pm 

i would also point out that some runes, like zen, don't always work. i dunno how it is with invisibility becuz i'm not the type to stand still :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:02 pm 

spooker wrote:
i would also point out that some runes, like zen, don't always work. i dunno how it is with invisibility becuz i'm not the type to stand still :p

If you stop moving for 3 seconds, Zen protects you from everything except BFGs, Lumberjack, Kamikaze and being telefragged.

If you are moving, rockets and grenades can only hurt you with a direct hit and cluster grenades don't harm you.

Post subject: Hmmm, atleast there is more than one who has see it happen.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:01 am 

It has been a while, and I don't remember which server it was on, but I was playing and some "Player" came in and ran everyone off. Well they really were acting weird on how they would play. It got to the point where I could not do anything without being fragged in a split second. So when I got the camo rune and it was just him and I, I knew what was out, and there was nothing, he had regen, so that ruled out anything else. Well when he was on the other side of the map, I went and hid in a corner, in the dark. I sat and waited, completely away from the mouse and keyboard. No shots were fired anywhere at all, until he came around the corner and got me in the forhead with a rocket. Well, just to check and see, I got the camo rune again and hid in a different area where he would have to hunt to hit me, again he jumps around the corner and another direct hit to the head. I thought well this really looks like a BOT or a serious cheat. Well giving the benifit of the doubt, I thought I would try something else. So I grappled to a dark area, brought another PC online to check to see if I could be seen. The answer was no! I got down and ran around till I got fragged again, about 3 seconds. I then came back in and found he was on the other side of the map, so I grapped up to the hiding place and waited. About 3 minutes later he came flying by and fragged me again, directly to the head. So the way I see it is, this person was using a BOT, and it BOTs cannot see the camo rune when active, I will STRONGLY disagree. Camo, no Camo, Eyes, No Eyes, never missed, and never fired until there was a clear shot. All that kinda rules out the safety shots, the hope there is someone there shots and about everything else you can think of. So does anyone have any ideas on how they did that if the model is not there for anything to see?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:07 am 

I haven't looked into quake this low level but someone could easily sniff packets to find out your location. It's really not that hard to do that and quake has many flaws which allow that.

Post subject: Well that is a start Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:16 am 

Thanks for that, I figured that might be a fault. I am wondering tho too if there is a possible issue with someone creating a set of instructions to read what the game code sees. Example, with camo if a someone shoots at you, it still knows you are there to take the damage. I am not sure how the Quake code works, but was wondering is someone could monitor that.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:31 am 

Well if it makes you feel any more insecure, I could replace a packet being sent to you with an "altered" one of my own (for reasons I will not disclose how). I could basically crash your OS because your system would accept the quake packet. Security is my hobby so I know a lot about finding flaws and preventing attacks.

Buuuuuut I'm not a cold hearted bastard so no worries. Quake = Fun

Post subject: Re: Hmmm, atleast there is more than one who has see it happ
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:34 am 
Site Admin

EGO wrote:
So does anyone have any ideas on how they did that if the model is not there for anything to see?

Do you have any demos of this incident?