Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Continuing Name Forging Problem...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:27 pm 

The last couple of days people have been litering the server using other peoples' names. A regular player, Lord Arthos, was using my name today on Shmack. The IP of this player was 68.226.80.xxx... just a few minutes ago someone was using Surfer Girl's name on the server and talking shmack. Someone was using frenzy's name as well earlier in the day.

This is starting to ruin the community....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:12 pm 

There is one name forger I know of who is a habitual problem, and also extremely annoying. He threatens to ban everyone, I'm sure everyone knows who I'm talking about even though he doesnt use a consistent name. He'll start riding someone and, thinking this lags them, will say "feel the lag" and he also says very often "you're done" ie you're banned, or "that was all i needed". His IP is 68.9.199.XXX and I have him in my iplog (which I will send to anyone who would like it) as having used, among others: spooker, SLOT, gov't mule, and happybunny_tu. He will put someone's name on and talk shit to everyone. But of course slot supports the rights of people who forge names and act in other ways that are obviously destructive and antisocial. Why doesnt he take action on this stuff? Its a mystery to me....... I agree; it ruins the community. Lets have a gag function!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:14 am 
Site Admin

spooker wrote:
But of course slot supports the rights of people who forge names and act in other ways that are obviously destructive and antisocial.

How would you know what I do and do not support? Do me a favor and please don't speak for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:59 am 

Slot Zero wrote:
spooker wrote:
But of course slot supports the rights of people who forge names and act in other ways that are obviously destructive and antisocial.

How would you know what I do and do not support? Do me a favor and please don't speak for me.

don't blame spooker, he just saw a player named "slot" who was really the name forger and listened to everything he/she said about what Slot supports :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:54 pm 

i dont need to speak for you, your actions in handling the server does it. Im merely pointing out. So, if you wish to speak for yourself, do you ever take action against name forging?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:40 pm 

spooker wrote:
i dont need to speak for you, your actions in handling the server does it. Im merely pointing out. So, if you wish to speak for yourself, do you ever take action against name forging?

Don't be a smart ass to Slot Zero.

It's offensive to me and most likely other veteran Quake players when you talk disrespectfully to someone who has given this community so much over the years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

spooker wrote:
i dont need to speak for you, your actions in handling the server does it.

I couldn't agree more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:27 pm 

tsk tsk ...good thing i never use my name in-game :evil:

Quote:
It's offensive to me and most likely other veteran Quake players when you talk disrespectfully to someone who has given this community so much over the years.

Indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:23 am 

i dont think i was being a smart ass at all. sorry to slot if it came that way, but if you think giving feedback from the server is disrespectful, then i dont know what to say to you. "your actions speak for you" is a neutral statement, because actions can be good or bad. if youd prefer for me to state my feelings of frustration from toleration of antisocial behavior in a calm, polite manner using short, direct "I" statements, get real--people always respond to rhetoric better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:15 am 

I don't understand why people come to play a game to be disruptive instead of playing to have fun. When a player uses another players name it's to be offensive and disruptive to other players playing. There is no other reason. Magn3tar was using my name today (catgirl) AND I know it was to make me look bad because he doesn't like me. Not only for that but what's the sense of keeping stats on gamestat site if people use someone elses name... the person whose name is being used by another then has his statistics all screwed up. Might as well get rid of the stat keeping. No one can tell if there is improvement in one's gameplay etc. I have the screen shots of him using my name but if nothing will be done to kind of police this to prevent it, what's the sense of all these posts in this thread. I think a 2 or 3 day ban should take place as these people do nothing but disrupt good game fun for others. Yes, I agree that Slot should be thanked for keeping the server going so we all could play.... Thanks Slot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

If someone is using your name, open the Quake console, type status, type screenshot and send the screenshot to me via e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:59 pm 

Slot for president!

Hey I think I'll make that my new signature.

Slot for president!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:26 pm 
Slot Zero wrote:
If someone is using your name, open the Quake console, type status, type screenshot and send the screenshot to me via e-mail.

are you able to support this even with the private ip ordeal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

Yes. Please include your IP address in the e-mail so I'll know which one is the impersonator when I check the logs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:34 am 

Slot, I tried to email status screen shots of the name abuse problem showing 2 different players using catgirl. the email failed 3 times when I sent it to your email address listed in the member list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:42 am 
Site Admin

I'll try e-mailing you, then you can reply to my e-mail and we'll see if that works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:58 pm 

i've witnessed slot taking care of this subject several times recently.

Post subject: I have used..
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:57 pm 

I have used other players names, but simply for fun. I do not do it to start any kind of drama. For example, when Surfer Girl has not shut up about me cheating, etc, I've put her name on, and said things like "Frenzy doesn't cheat!" or just things to have fun. I've also put on the name "slot" just for fun to win matches, and hear people say "oh my god! is that really slot!?", I don't abuse any name in anyways, none the less, I have not done this for quite some time, and don't plan on making it a regular habbit, I just get bored sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:06 am 

not a good thing to do, stick to your own name.