Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What did everybody think of painkiller mp?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:54 am 

i tried to play quake4, but the game did nothing for me.
even quake3 felt better, but it feels like no other game came close to quake1's feel and speed.
the only game i can think of is painkiller
anybody tried this game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:17 pm 

Crazicracker, FireLLA and a few others played Painkiller for a while. They seemed to like it but eventually returned to Quake.

Last edited by Baker on Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

I love Painkiller, not only for it's outstanding single player game, but as you said, it's one of the closet MP games to Quake I've ever played. If that isn't enough, it also has switch attacks, which is the ability change and fire your weapon while returning it to your previous weapon by pressing one key (known as sattacks in rune quake and very useful for lobbing a grenade while switching you back your RL or LG).

There were quite a few bugs with the MP code when PK was first released though, as well as a lack of linux support and official SDK which made me stop playing. I didn't give up on the game though, I tried again a year or so later and a good portion of the bugs were fixed, a linux dedicated server was released, and I was made aware it was possible to modify some aspects of the game via LUA scripting language.

Unfortunately, it's easier to find players in Quake than it is for PainKiller these days and that has put a damper on my playing. All in all though, this shouldn't discourage people from trying it out. If you can't find someone for a MP game, the singe player game is amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:25 pm 

PK was quite a good game. I finished it twice.
It had bugs tho, that even hindered the completion of the SP game. I had to resort to cheatcodes just to make it past some portions of the game. Which is pathetic, because I hate to cheat (number 1) but I did want to finish the game (and a bug) won't hold me back.

MP was nice. I thought the network code for it was very good. I mean even with 150 ping, it seemed I moved with like 50, with very little lag.
So I played on a variety of servers.

I won a few games (not many though), esp. when I didn't know the maps. I mainly played it just to see what the MP maps were like. But I didn't find them highly re-playable or worth going back to like in Quake1. So I played it for like 2 or 3 months (the MP portion of it that is) before un-installing the thing altogether.

But people should deff. get this game and play it. Esp. if you liked Quake1. I agree, the game does have an old school feel to it, yet the graphics are very good and gameplay is addictive and the whole enviornment of it all is very engaging.

I especially liked the BOH expansion (which comes with the Gold Edition). However, there are some very frustrating parts in it. Like a VERY difficult jump, and a crash that occurs on the level with the psycho nurses attacking you with the syringes (when they are first introduced). I had to cheat (again, grr!) so I could advance. I tried that dumb jump for 3 days before I finally gave up. I mean it shouldn't be there in the first place, esp. when the rest of the game is a pleasant walk. I also couldnt finish the last level in this expansion. Also the water monster that you have to shoot the air bubbles to hurt him was quite stupid. Took me half hour to kill him.

BOH had it's moments. One of my favorite levels was the circus one, and the military base (those really stuck in my mind) and Leningrad. The music (as well as the ambient effects) to those maps were also excellent.