Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ProQuake Launcher
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:07 am 

Out of beta, has already proved to be very popular even though it is has only been available for 18 hours now.

Download: ProQuake Launcher 1.0 EZ Installer - 4.9 MB
Download: ProQuake Launcher 1.0 7-Zip - 5.1 MB

Features:

Built-In Quake Name Maker
Auto-play of demos -- both .dem and .dz (like click this demo link and it will play.
Auto-converts screenshots to .jpg for easy sharing

Has an optional ability to set ideal settings for multiplayer automatically (pq_moveup 1, etc. etc.) and makes available new aliases +superzoom, +rocketjump (for those that can't manually do it), +quickgrenade (works on any server) and a some others. It is optional and can be set to off.

It's fast, lite and simple and geared towards levelling the playing field for non-Quake experts. It makes everything easy including the ability to turn on transparent water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:30 am 

Add:

Now has a home page at http://www.quakeone.com/proquake

It's getting downloaded like crazy -- over 100 already. In fact, it has been downloaded 3 times in the last 5 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:41 pm 

Baker, just tried out this contraption today while helping my friend install Quake on his system.

The version of Quake he has is 1.06. I put in the CTF folder and the ctf files needed. Forgot to put -ctf in the command line or target line.

CD with WinQuake files I had saved is toast.

So this is basically what I did. We put Quake v. 1.06 on his system. Installed what was needed for grapple/ctf. Forgot to put -ctf in command line.

Wasn't able to put the 1.08 or the WinQuake patch on his install. A bit impatient I decided to try your ProQuake launcher thing.

I have to say it seems to work excellent.

A few questions. Does it put the Winquake files into Quake installs?

Does it handle the -ctf command?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:14 pm 

Fuzznut wrote:
A few questions. Does it put the Winquake files into Quake installs?

Yep ;) It installs GLQuake too. And ProQuake + cheat-free + all the locs too, of course. And QView ;) And sets up QView completely ;)

Fuzznut wrote:
Does it handle the -ctf command?

I'm not certain what you mean about the -ctf and the grapple? If you mean ThreeWave CTF, just have him install the ThreeWave EZ Installer -- or he could use the ThreeWave Pak Files instead.

Neither need a command line, so you wouldn't need -ctf or anything else.

/Yellow and I don't believe in command lines, hehe ;)

Download: ThreeWave CTF EZ Installer (no expertise required)

OR

Download: ThreeWave CTF Pak File (some expertise required)

Did that answer your question?

Quote:
I have to say it seems to work excellent.

Thanks!

I have to say, it has been more popular than I had anticipated. It has 650+ downloads now. I tried to make Quake newbie friendly ;)

It has a home page now, by the way: http://www.quakeone.com/proquake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:50 pm 

This app is excellent Baker! It truly is. :)

How does it know what updates/patches to put in? Does it just put all of them in?

both 3wave downloads were installed/unzipped to his system in the quake directory into a directory called ctf.

Usually for grapple to work I have to put -ctf in the target line of my Quake shortcut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:57 pm 

OK to be clear on this, I DO NOT have this on MY system. I used the ProQuake Launcher on my friends system.

My system is too old for something like this. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:18 am 

Fuzznut wrote:
both 3wave downloads were installed/unzipped to his system in the quake directory into a directory called ctf.

Just have him use either the ThreeWave Installer (linked above) and he won't have to use a command line.

No one playing on the ThreeWave CTF servers are using a commandline, they are using either the ThreeWave CTF installer or Yellow's ThreeWave Pak File, both of which place the files in a place that doesn't need a commandline.

OR

He can follow the instructions for the ThreeWave CTF Pak file (toss the download into c:\quake\id1 and name it pak2.pak).

Fuzznut wrote:
OK to be clear on this, I DO NOT have this on MY system. I used the ProQuake Launcher on my friends system.

My system is too old for something like this. ;)

Yeah, I remember now :D

Fuzznut wrote:
How does it know what updates/patches to put in? Does it just put all of them in?

It just sets up all of the important ones.

Quake/WinQuake/GLQuake comes with a lot of files that are unnecessary (DOS drivers, unnecessary 3DFX stuff). The old instructions for upgrading Quake have long been obsolete since no one uses DOS Quake anymore and almost no one uses 3DFX cards since they haven't been sold since the 1990's (although you have one, right?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:28 am 

Yes I am on a P I with dual 3dfx voodoo 1 cards.

You keep saying it just sets up the important files. Isn't the update from 1.06 to 1.08 important? Does it install this update?

I have a version of Quake that is 1.01 I do believe. When I used it I had to update to 1.06 then from there to 1.08. Then on to WinQuake.

You might consider covering all the bases and having it put in ALL the patches. What could it hurt if they are already there? It's just overwriting files with the same file isn't it?

It is still a really sweet app. You did good Baker. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:27 am 

Here's basically what I wanted to say. When I went to use the ProQuake launcher, I was looking for somewhere that told me what minimum version of Quake it needed. 1.01, 1.06, 1.08 or WinQuake.

As it didn't say anywhere that I could see, I just shut my eyes and prayed, then hit install. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:34 am 

Fuzznut wrote:
Here's basically what I wanted to say. When I went to use the ProQuake launcher, I was looking for somewhere that told me what minimum version of Quake it needed. 1.01, 1.06, 1.08 or WinQuake.

It doesn't actually need Quake executables/upgrades at all, it installs the newest versions. The only file requirements for the ProQuake Launcher is that you have pak0.pak and pak1.pak, the Quake datafiles.

The ProQuake Launcher comes with ProQuake (Win+GL) and WinQuake 1.31 and GLQuake 1.31, all of those are a lot more recent than 1.01/1.06/1.08 and the install would overwrite those with 1.31 anyway.

Quote:
What could it hurt if they are already there? It's just overwriting files with the same file isn't it?

Yep :D

Quote:
As it didn't say anywhere that I could see, I just shut my eyes and prayed, then hit install. :P

I don't know that the ProQuake Launcher will work (well) on your Pentium I. I haven't tried it on my old Pentium II-400 Mhz, I bet it would be slow on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:31 am 

Baker wrote:
It doesn't actually need Quake executables/upgrades at all, it installs the newest versions. The only file requirements for the ProQuake Launcher is that you have pak0.pak and pak1.pak, the Quake datafiles.

The ProQuake Launcher comes with ProQuake (Win+GL) and WinQuake 1.31 and GLQuake 1.31, all of those are a lot more recent than 1.01/1.06/1.08 and the install would overwrite those with 1.31 anyway.

OK. I was wondering if it needed those files to use as a foundation. I was worrying my friend would find out later on that things weren't working right because stuff was missing from the files, like the 1.06->1.09 patches.

Baker wrote:
I don't know that the ProQuake Launcher will work (well) on your Pentium I. I haven't tried it on my old Pentium II-400 Mhz, I bet it would be slow on it.

Yeah I'm not trying it on my old system. My 'install and pray' approach was regarding using it on my friends system. :P

Thanks again Baker! I can't say this enough, a damn incredible app whose time has come. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:39 am 

And this easy installer was written in Quake C correct?

I don't know why the Prolauncher wouldn't work on my old 200mhz system. Quake 2 runs great on my system and it's more advanced graphically than Quake is by a bit. :)

Ah, but it doesn't have the 3dfx fixes in it. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:41 am 

And a suggestion. Somewhere on the Prolauncher description maybe put that it doesn't matter what version of Quake you use. Or that you just need a couple of the pak files.

Fer pak togglin'. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:57 pm 

Fuzznut wrote:
Somewhere on the Prolauncher description maybe put that it doesn't matter what version of Quake you use.

That would be encouraging what I consider misinformation, the myth held by a small few that you would need certain engines already installed to try other engines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:47 pm 

Baker wrote:
Fuzznut wrote:
Somewhere on the Prolauncher description maybe put that it doesn't matter what version of Quake you use.

That would be encouraging what I consider misinformation, the myth held by a small few that you would need certain engines already installed to try other engines.

Well ok. Then you might want to put what you do need and what you do not need. And perhaps also let people know that if they have another version of Quake already installed, then that's ok too.