Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:37 pm 

Yes, I dont use +hook anymore. I changed my config last year. I'm using alt-hook now (pressing axe twice to get it). I play similar to SLUGNUT, but of course he is better then me in shooting. I used to be an air player, and being a ground player, is a whole diff skill to learn (and getting used to). Why did I do this? Because most games don't have hook, (and I already mastered hook), so I changed my style, I want to be a strong ground player. I don't want to be a hook dependant monkey. And another thing changed my mind, Tical was nailing me from the ground, and still beat me badly with me using hook and runes and all. So the real strength lies from attacking from the ground up, plus, by doing this I gained 2 extra keys which I bound to RL and LG, so i can switch back and forth, without taking my fingers off the keys. It's gonna take me a while to get very good with this, but i strongly believe it will carry me further then my previous config. I felt when i abandoned it, that i reached its saturation level, and i was still getting beat by others, and i was predictable. Plus my philosophy is, if something is better, you have to adopt it and change, letting go of the old...

For those interested, my match with Mith was a mixed bag. We strated out on DM6, with hook (and no runes, as he wanted), i started to get an upperhand on him, then he wanted another level, specifically e1m7, so i agreed to that. i pretty much went on his terms, (no hook, runes, or powerups). on e1m7 he was hook-whoring all over the place (for lack of a better term), and i had an extremely hard time hitting him. he was gaining on me, and i was pretty fed-up with this hooking around and chasing him, so requested the hook off, he admitted he sucks without it, but he accepted and we turned it off. like i said he was ahead of me by a few, so of course with the hook off, i started catching up, and I even surpassed him a bit, then he requested hook back on again, i agreed, and so we struggled for the remainder of the map, and he won by 1 point thus beating me 50-49. since he was hooking all over, u can't really hit him with rox (at least on e1m7), so not much splash damage could be caused (because there are not many surfaces), so the only solution was to try to get him with shaft, but since my shaft isn't that good, i was only partly successful.

i have to say, on his own terms like he wanted to fight me, he is without a doubt awesome, but if he would have fought me on MY terms, i would deff. beat him easily.

i agreed to his terms, because he approached me in a friendly manner. so im not gonna act like a bitch with any reason to lol.

i also had a headache and felt a bit queasy. but im not making up excuses. thats the way it was, and i even have a demo to back up my words (if some) dont believe me.

oh well, i don't want to blab so much.
later,
-T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:14 pm 

Quote:
It's gonna take me a while to get very good with this, but i strongly believe it will carry me further then my previous config. I felt when i abandoned it, that i reached its saturation level, and i was still getting beat by others, and i was predictable.

Its interesting you say this because I had the opposite approach. I was a keyboard player for a *long* time - way longer than I should have been since I was reluctant to change my config. And so I didn't really do much with the hook, but I was usually able to beat people including weak grapplers, but the good grapplers always easily beat me.

When I decided to learn how to grapple my game definitely went up to a new level although it took time to get good at it. Now I feel that in a level with lots of room to grapple I could beat anyone or at least draw with them.

But I consider myself a strong player in more cramped spaces too although not as strong. I think I would have done well in DM6 but I just don't like that level. E1M7 is my favorite level so thats why I requested it, but as you mentioned it is nice and wide open so good for grapplers.

Quote:
i have to say, on his own terms like he wanted to fight me, he is without a doubt awesome, but if he would have fought me on MY terms, i would deff. beat him easily.

I agree here .. with the hook enabled the whole time I would have dominated, but without it paradise would have dominated. She did convince me that ground skills are very useful and I will start trying to add that to my game. I used to be decent at rl jumping but its been so long hehe. Playing without hook on e1m7 kinda sucks cuz when you fall in lava you're screwed. Plus I hate the fact that there's life saving health right above you and you can't get to it!

The match was pretty intense. But as it went on I think we both started respecting each other more. I for one stopped being mad at her at around the 10th frag :). The 1 pt win was meaningless - the match was a draw for the reasons mentioned above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:39 pm 

@baker

Quote:
The hook is a great tool. To be considered a solid player, you have to be able to hold your own without the hook and should be able to easily rocket jump when/where required ... especially to the DM6 red armor or the bridge/mound in DM3 and to the quad in DM2.

There are some conversative players that hate the hook (Tical, heh) but I think any complete player can should be able to use the hook with ease.

Yeah, I think the best quake style would be a hybrid of para's and mine. Against most players ground fighting is probably best since you would usually kill them faster than grapple+shooting. But against a good grappler, I don't think there's any choice but to grapple yourself, cuz a ground fighter will on average miss more than the grappler will and they will usually die first. Thats just my experience. Plus, grapple vs grapple air fights are just awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:08 am 

mithril wrote:
But against a good grappler, I don't think there's any choice but to grapple yourself, cuz a ground fighter will on average miss more than the grappler will and they will usually die first. Thats just my experience. Plus, grapple vs grapple air fights are just awesome!

Not really, Tical nailed me from the ground dead on, so it just takes time to get good at it. Air fights are good and all that, but it's a redundant skill for other games, since none have hook, and rely ONLY on ground fighting. So if you plan to move on to other games better work on your ground-fighting (I am too). :wink: To me runequake(1) is a game I love, but I also use it as a training tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:48 am 

Quote:
But against a good grappler, I don't think there's any choice but to grapple yourself, cuz a ground fighter will on average miss more than the grappler will and they will usually die first. Thats just my experience. Plus, grapple vs grapple air fights are just awesome!

When someone is grappling, they can't aim as well as someone on the ground.

Grappling in a free-for-all game is advantageous because players tend to focus on players that are the easiest to hit, which are the slowpokes.

In a 1 on 1 situation, an elite player is going to shaft you. Tia happens to not have shaft aim, hehe ;)

The 2 best Rune Quake players that I have seen are DFG and Quazy. DFG, who hasn't played much in a year, never uses the hook except when he needs to get somewhere and he sucked with the hook.

At first this seemed like something that could exploited, but against DFG you were dead so fast it didn't matter.

Quazy has hook skills but is mostly a ground player. It is difficult to spot Quazy, except that he always plays as red (according to Bam) and if he says anything at all, other than GG, it is "=}"

Quazy is probably the best Rune Quake player past/present/future and is considered one of the best CA players and a very, very strong DM player.

Anyway, Quazy plays anonymously with some frequency and doesn't rely much on the hook and I don't think anyone has seen him firsthand lose a game of Rune Quake in at least 5 years (It could probably happen on a spam map like START).

Post subject: noob!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:02 am 

I now have a new look on you SOLE, since you thought of me as your favorite noob.

All I want to say is thanks.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:03 pm 

well we love you POLICE!!!!!

your not really a noob, u finished with 40 on e1m7 while i was there, I think that's a new record for u 8)

good jop and keep playing with us.
love
-T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:19 pm 

hehe, Paradise reminds me of Madonna.
Quote:
I believe that every one of you can be just like me if you work hard

JOKE ;) :lol:

Last edited by Canadian*Sniper on Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:57 am 

did I actually say that..? or where did you get that quote from.. lol.
yap, im a diva alright, i like to sing around the house and in the shower too haha :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:35 am 

it's no one's quote. Infact, I need to change something :O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:16 am 

Noob is meant as an offensive term towards someone who is not nessicarily new, and quite often is directed at someone that is |somewhat| experienced but at the same time stupid/disruptive and/or totally incapable of learning.
A noob is almost always someone who thinks they're cool but obviously aren't.

My vote goes for Paradise.

Anyways, I'm not one to get into it, but I'm going to talk about my opinion here :D

Paradise, you showed how awesomely immature you are by that post cussing, screaming, kicking, like a baby. That was comedy if I may say so myself. You didn't "win" or "shut anybody up" with that post - you made yourself look 11 or 12. If you're going to have a debate/conversation with somebody, lets find a more mature way to go about the situation. Mith on the other hand, handled it awesomely, and has my respect for that.

You will never get much respect as a player or a person acting like that. Lets graduate from pull-ups to underwear and stop acting like a newborn. This is all I will say to this, and that is final.

Again - my vote goes to Paradise. (tia)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:47 pm 

Hey Frenzy,

Haven't seen you on shmack in a while - do you still play?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:29 pm 

Now that you 2 noob bitches are done with your fued, how about taking on a true quake legend and get a taste of my boot upside your lip? You have a problem with that I will slap you, k? How would you like a 12 gauge upside your head? Yea that's what I thought!

Sincerely,

Ole' Hog Bowel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:03 am 

Post removed as it no longer represents my current views, and yes, Frenzy is a great person and player. :wink:

God Bless All!
-Paradise.

Last edited by Paradise on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:33 am 

but RQ IS easy to win at....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:26 pm 

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/c34b772c17.jpg

Enough Said. And look - there you go again with the namecalling. Maybe you and I should do a 1-1. Add me to yahoo with varner05 , or AIM with thefrenzy1 - lets rock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:27 pm 

Oh - and if you want to improve your ground skills, come CA with us at rage.quakeone.com or come DM with us at quake.crmod.com - we'll teach you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:39 pm 

Things have gotten a little crazy here.

The problem with forums is they only capture still images of thoughts, or moods. So you only see one small, miniscule slice of a person at any given time. You see one moment of bragging, whether due or undue. Or the posting of someone in a bad mood on a bad day. You don't really see the whole fluid human beings personality. You just see snapshots of certain aspects of their personality frozen in time.

@Paradise.

Frenzy is one of the most responsible people I've ever met at such a young age. Taking care of his daughter all alone and working two jobs, plus running a tourney every sunday for this community.

Also, if you hang out with him in IRC you'll find he is one of the nicest people in the community. Very friendly and helpful. If the rest of the people I know in life were as responsible as Frenzy and their only fault was a little bragging, whether deserved or not, the world would be a better place.

We're very proud to have him in our Clan and I stand behind him as a member 100%.

Also, I believe Frenzys' Avatar is of Al Pacino in Scarface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:35 pm 

I've found Frenzy's play a little annoying at times but it's easy to see he's a very good guy. Taking care of a daughter as a single parent too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:35 am 

Fuzznut wrote:
Also, I believe Frenzys' Avatar is of Al Pacino in Scarface.

His character's name in the movie is "Tony Montana" which is what Paradise was saying...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next