Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Laptop Quake Losers due to kybd???
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:12 am 

LAPTOP QUAKE LOSERS? IS THIS WHY?

A while back (1996ish), I once had 2 desktop computers typically these were connected with a serial cable to play Doom II in multiplayer mode.

One PC was a Compaq and the other was some clone. The Compaq computer's keyboard WOULD NOT allow 3 or more keys be pressed simulateously (provided none of the keys was a key like CTRL, SHIFT, ALT).

The clone keyboard DID allow 3 or more keys to be pressed simultaneously. With the Compaq keyboard, if you were using 2 arrow keys for movement and then pressed some third key like "B", it would entirely ignore the third key!! You had to release on arrow key or the keyboard would not acknowledge the new key.

This was ANNOYING. The clone keyboard didn't do this. You could swap the keyboards and the clone computer using the Compaq keyboard would have the problem.

I don't know what controls a keyboards functioning (keyboard bios?) but it was the keyboard and not the computer. Using the Compaq keyboard made it harder to win. I have not run into such a shitty keyboard since on a desktop ....

2003 - DELL INSPIRON

I am breaking in someone elses new laptop and noticed the damn thing has the same "can't use 3 non-function keys" at the same time playing games. I am glad I noticed this, because I am looking to by a laptop and it sure as hell isn't going to be a DELL solely due to this issue!!!

Think about how shitty that would work in Quake? Can't use 3 keys at the same time ... bullshit.

The sucky part ... I am starting to fear that all laptops may be like that. I hope not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:12 am 

I remember having that same problem with my first computer. Was a Gateway 486sx and I still have it too. Had same problem running Doom then too, but I never checked to find the limit on simultaneous key strokes. Out of curiousity I just tried 5 keys at once on my old 400mhz Toshiba lap top. I didn't have any problems using the run, look up, change weapon, forward and side step buttons together. I used to play runequake on this computer with a 300 ping and DSTN screen which makes any movement blur the whole screen because the LCD pixels sort of delayed when transisting to different colors. Man I used to get totaly slaughtered but I still loved playing anyway.:)

MagnesiuM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:51 pm 

my laptop does that, dont know the number of keys i need to press tho. i've been playin quake on it for 2 years and its beeped at me a few times. i dont think it hindered my gameplay.