Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: why are people using netquake still?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:18 pm 

Even with the fast connections of today there's no question about which plays better; quakeworld definitely does. I checked the server listings today and the regular netquake quake.shmack.net runes server was packed. WHY is this!?? I just don't understand, netquake wasn't even a standard even back in the day except if you were lan. it wasn't bad with 14/16 players that i was playing against so maybe it's not that bad with less, but i can tell you quakeworld is definitely much more playable.

i was just curious as to WHY people are using netquake? i guess ill have to keep both clients, but there's no way ill be able to even play at my fullest potential in netquake :/. on the other hand the rockets did feel nicer than in quakeworld :D, suppose it's a trade off really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

I play Quake for the exact same reason you play Quakeworld. It's much more playable for me and therefore much more enjoyable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:51 pm 

I played Quake (netquake) as it was 10 years ago. I have no reason to stop playing. I've gone to a few QW servers so I can compare the differences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:25 am 

Its been a long time since I've played qw, but as I recall its main advantage was for really high ping players. These days, most people have broadband connections and regular quake is perfectly playable, so I don't see the reason to use qw at all.

If you're still using the original ID netquake client, I'd recommend upgrading to a modern client, like proquake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:31 am 

no i was using joequake which is basically fuhquake i thought? this isn't about bandwidth limitations of back then. quake2 uses quakeworld code, quake3 uses quakeworld code, i'm sure quake4 uses quakeworld code. this is what carmack wanted the game to be played like, and although i do not mind the way it feels after playing a few games now with a faster connection, it still doesn't account for the times your ping may spike 50-100ms while in the heat of a battle whereas quakeworld accomodates for this latency.

i understand both sides now, i just always had a grudge on the people who never went with qw back in the day and i think some of that old longterm bias is still holding with me today. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:08 pm 

grindking wrote:
no i was using joequake which is basically fuhquake i thought? this isn't about bandwidth limitations of back then. quake2 uses quakeworld code, quake3 uses quakeworld code, i'm sure quake4 uses quakeworld code.

Well that explains why I only like Quake and none of the sequels. I'll stick to Netquake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:01 pm 

I just got a new keyboard. I'm a little faster now, it added a couple frags per level for me. Cool huh? I added some more RAM too. So Windiws Vista is coming out on the 30th....I just upgraded to XP a couple weeks ago. I figure in about 5 years they will have all the bugs worked out in Vista, then I might upgrade.

Sincerely,

Ole' Hog Bowel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:20 am 

It's not just a small number of players at THIS forum that prefer classic Quake over Quakeworld.

In the USA there are -- in fact -- more players playing classic Quake than are playing Quakeworld. Case in point -- 50+ players playing it up last night.

629 registered members @ QuakeOne.com - Opened March 10, 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:26 pm 

that's just wrong, as i said in my original post, carmack designed quakeworld because it was the way quake was originally intended to be. the players who broke off from quakeworld when quakeworld was released are the SAME players still causing problems today, even after quake has become a less popular game. quakeworld will and always will be the real way to play the game, im sorry that i can't agree with your group, and i guess ill just be staying away from shmack.net because it feels nothing like quake to me. there's too many differences to get used to if i'm going to even consider playing competitively on there. nice playing with you guys for the short time it was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:55 pm 

grindking wrote:
that's just wrong, as i said in my original post, carmack designed quakeworld because it was the way quake was originally intended to be.

I don't think that Quake was invisioned with fullbright skins, bunnyhopping to amazing speeds and solid textures.

As a conservative Quake player, I don't feel those are authentic features and feel Quakeworld is a very different and distinct game from Quake.

Quote:
the players who broke off from quakeworld when quakeworld was released are the SAME players still causing problems today

To each their own. Everyone likes different things, I don't see how players playing what they prefer hurts anyone.

Most of the players that play Quake have tried Quakeworld.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:05 pm 
zop.runequake.com

You lost me when you said people that play on different servers cause problems for your quakeworld servers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:06 am 

I used to think the same, quakeworld was better blah blah blah, but that was when i was a little shit punk kid that was a competitive player(ALWAYS wanted to win and if I lost, I wuold get the absolute shits) and always wanted my quakeworld client to be up to scratch, what i find with normalquake, its a blast from the past when i first got quake, and it's whole atmosphere is dark and schemey, which -I THINK- is the way it was meant to be, it was meant to be a dark game, not fullbright skins and max brightness so you can see people hiding in the shadows, when fullbright skins came out I was spewing because hiding in the shadows was one of my tactics.(the good ol hiding spot just behind the lightning gun on dm4, theres a good shadow there that i hid in and fragged a many years years ago)

in my case

QuakeWorld put quake on a whole different level, for the good or worse varies between people, it made people accel in the game past the point they were even suppose to, if you played someone who could aim extremely well and bunnyhop like a freak on DM2 , your completely screwd, they can control the map, they can kill you say at the rocketlauncher(low), and bunny hop like a freak all the way down to the yellow armour teleport and get you before you even push that button to open the gate, this whole concept in australia of complete ownage made alot of people quit the game simply because they couldnt keep up, now NETQUAKE lowers the capabilities, which keeps everyone on more of a equal level, and then the beloved runequake came along, and even stabalized the game even more in my opinion

Thats my two cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:16 pm 

didn't you hear? qwsucks!

Post subject: Re: why are people using netquake still?
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:11 am 

I know this thread is a little old but I couldn't agree more with Spekyr[Z].

Since the last Netquake server died in Australia back in 2002 (our beloved QuakeSW@Camtech), I've tried several times to move over to Quakeworld as it is the only low-ping option available to Aussie quakers. However, time and time again I've been disappointed with the gameplay and unrelenting skills of the relics that dominate the servers in strictly 1on1 or 2on2 scheduled teamplay matches on a very limited range of maps.

As Spekyr[Z] described so accurately, that style of gameplay does nothing but discourage the less quakeworld experienced players from continuing to play as it is impossible to ever catch up to the level of skills and experience of the quakeworld veterans.

Which is exactly why I choose to play on quake.shmack.net with a high ping. Not only does shmack offer a more interesting style of gaming than the dull FFA Deathmatch, it also incorporates all original quake levels with a larger quake community of varying skills and experience.

Although I usually rank last or second last on the scoreboard, I enjoy the matches far more immensely than any quakeworld match I've ever had to endure.

And to Spekyr[Z], thanks for putting your two cents worth in - from reading your posts you seem like one level-headed player with a couple of years experience under the belt. It appears that I've discovered shmack a little too late - I never see you on there.

Regards,

Sam.