Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lag or what?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:55 pm 

I just started back playing Q1 and sometimes the server plays great. Just like it should! Then other times it stalls out when I fight certain players, but other players are normal. When this happens, the top few players are hard to hit. I will have to shoot behind or beside them in order to get a kill and I never can tell what area I need to shoot at and when I shoot there is a delay in firing! I am sure some of it’s my lack of skill and after not playing for the last few years, I am bit rusty. My ping is around 56 to 60 and at times I will see these other players ping jump from 59 to 300 and then back low again, but for the most part everyone’s ping is about the same as mine. This is not the same server lag that is mentioned in other post. When that happens, all pings jump high and low. It seems to be on my end and I’m not sure what it is. I am using an ATI All In Wonder X800 video card with a 2.6 GHz system with 3 gigs of ram. The monitor is 23” Apple Cinema Display and I just updated to the latest version of GLPRO399. 8mgs cable modem with four other systems plugged into the same network, but only one system is playing on line. My OS is XP Pro and I would like to know if Q1 will work on a Mac with Virtual PC installed. Great to see a lot of the old timers still playing!

Necronomicon

Post subject: Re: Lag or what?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:21 pm 

Necronomicon wrote:
My OS is XP Pro and I would like to know if Q1 will work on a Mac with Virtual PC installed. Great to see a lot of the old timers still playing!

I know the answer to this part:

You can use Mac ProQuake 3.50 on a Mac.

http://www.quakeone.com/index.php?ind=d ... ile_id=183

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:42 pm 

Thanks Baker! It works much better on the Mac. Dosn't freeze frame when fighting, but I still suck. It was years ago when I played regular (96-2001, played someone that was called Mr. Green in those days and Your Girlfriend!) and now I will need to get use to playing on the Mac. The monitors are 30" and it's hard to whatch everything around me when in a fight, but maybe I will get used to it. Have there been any new binds added or is it still forward, back & side to side? I tried the 399A & B glpro on the PC and it worked great at first, but now it freezes when I play on Shmack. 399 works great on Fear or in single mode. Not sure what's up with 399 and Shmack! Glad you and Slot are so quick to help.

Thanks,
Necro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:30 pm 

Necronomicon wrote:
I tried the 399A & B glpro on the PC and it worked great at first, but now it freezes when I play on Shmack. 399 works great on Fear or in single mode. Not sure what's up with 399 and Shmack! Glad you and Slot are so quick to help.

ProQuake 3.95+ has been used by a lot of players for a month on a lot of different servers including Shmack, I play there myself.

I'd be interested in seeing your commandline and your config file to see what settings you are using and I could see if I could duplicate your problem (and if I can, then I can fix it -- unless the problem is video drivers).

Find c:\quake\id1\config.cfg and post it here with [ quote ][/ quote ] surrounding the text and I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:05 pm 

[ quote ]
// *****************************************
// Generated by ProQuake 3.99
// Video Information:

// Vendor : ATI Technologies Inc.
// Renderer: ALL-IN-WONDER X800 Series x86/SSE2
// GL Version: 2.0.7058 WinXP Release
// Your last commmand line:
//
// C:\Documents and Settings\Pilk\My Documents\games\QUAKE\glpro399.exe
//
//
// Your maps folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Pilk\My Documents\games\QUAKE/id1\maps
// Your demos folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Pilk\My Documents\games\QUAKE/id1
// Your screenshots folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Pilk\My Documents\games\QUAKE/id1
//

// Key bindings

bind "TAB" "6"
bind "ENTER" "+jump"
bind "ESCAPE" "togglemenu"
bind "SPACE" "+jump"
bind "+" "sizeup"
bind "," "+moveleft"
bind "-" "volumedown"
bind "." "+moveright"
bind "/" "impulse 10"
bind "0" "impulse 0"
bind "1" "impulse 1"
bind "2" "impulse 2"
bind "3" "impulse 3"
bind "4" "impulse 4"
bind "5" "impulse 5"
bind "6" "impulse 6"
bind "7" "impulse 7"
bind "8" "impulse 8"
bind "=" "volumeup"
bind "\" "messagemode"
bind "`" "toggleconsole"
bind "a" "+lookup"
bind "b" "color 13 13"
bind "c" "+back"
bind "d" "+forward"
bind "e" "rune-tell"
bind "f" "+moveright"
bind "g" "BESTWEAPON 5"
bind "i" "color 5 5"
bind "j" "impulse 96"
bind "k" "impulse 99"
bind "m" "color 5 7"
bind "n" "color 4 4"
bind "o" "mlkoff"
bind "p" "color 4 0; r_drawviewmodel 0; crosshair 0; bind t messagemode; r_wateralpha .4; bind ` toggleconsole; echo *Back to Normal*"
bind "q" "rune-delete"
bind "r" "steroids_on"
bind "s" "+back +moveleft"
bind "t" "messagemode"
bind "u" "color 2 13"
bind "w" "color 0 0"
bind "x" "+movedown"
bind "y" "color 12 12"
bind "z" "+lookdown"
bind "~" "toggleconsole"
bind "PAUSE" "pause"
bind "UPARROW" "+forward"
bind "DOWNARROW" "+back"
bind "LEFTARROW" "+left"
bind "RIGHTARROW" "+right"
bind "ALT" "BESTWEAPON 8"
bind "CTRL" "BESTWEAPON 7"
bind "SHIFT" "BESTWEAPON 6"
bind "F1" "help"
bind "F2" "menu_save"
bind "F3" "menu_load"
bind "F4" "menu_options"
bind "F5" "menu_multiplayer"
bind "F6" "echo Quicksaving...; wait; save quick"
bind "F9" "echo Quickloading...; wait; load quick"
bind "F10" "quit"
bind "F11" "zoom_in"
bind "F12" "screenshot"
bind "INS" "+klook"
bind "DEL" "+lookdown"
bind "PGDN" "+lookup"
bind "END" "centerview"
bind "MOUSE1" "+attack"
bind "MOUSE2" "+hook"
bind "MOUSE3" "impulse 100"

// Variables

_cl_color "221.000000"
_cl_name "Necronomicon"
_config_com_baud "57600"
_config_com_irq "4"
_config_com_modem "1"
_config_com_port "0x3f8"
_config_modem_clear "ATZ"
_config_modem_dialtype "T"
_config_modem_hangup "AT H"
_config_modem_init ""
_snd_mixahead "0.1"
_windowed_mouse "0"
ambient_level "0"
bgmvolume "1.000000"
capture_codec "0"
cl_backspeed "999"
cl_bindprotect "2"
cl_bob "0.00"
cl_confirmquit "1"
cl_crosshaircentered "1"
cl_crossx "0"
cl_crossy "0"
cl_forwardspeed "999"
cl_keypad "0"
cl_rollangle "0.0"
cl_rollspeed "200"
cl_sbar "1"
cl_sidespeed "999"
cl_upspeed "999"
contrast "1"
crosshair "1"
default_fov "0"
fov "128"
freelook "1"
gamma "0.800000"
gl_flashblend "0"
gl_interpolate_animation "0"
gl_interpolate_transform "0"
gl_interpolate_weapon "0"
gl_picmip "0"
gl_playermip "0"
gl_polyblend "1"
gl_ringalpha "0.4"
gl_subdivide_size "512"
gl_triplebuffer "1"
in_keymap "1"
joystick "0"
lookspring "0"
lookstrafe "0"
m_directinput "0"
m_forward "1"
m_pitch "0.022"
m_side "0.8"
m_yaw "0.022"
pq_drawfps "1"
pq_fullpitch "0"
pq_haverl "I have RL"
pq_maxfps "72.0"
pq_moveup "1"
pq_needrl "I need RL"
pq_needrox "I need rockets"
pq_noweapons "no weapons"
pq_pent "pent"
pq_pentblend "0.3"
pq_quad "quad"
pq_quadblend "0.3"
pq_ring "eyes"
pq_ringblend "0"
pq_smoothcam "1"
pq_suitblend "0.3"
pq_waterblend "0"
pq_weapons "SSG:NG:SNG:GL:RL:LG"
r_drawviewmodel "0"
r_farclip "16384"
r_novis "1"
r_truegunangle "0"
r_wateralpha "0.4"
r_waterwarp "0"
saved1 "0"
saved2 "0"
saved3 "0"
saved4 "0"
savedgamecfg "0"
scr_conspeed "327600"
sensitivity "6.500000"
v_kickpitch "0.0"
v_kickroll "0.0"
v_kicktime "0.0"
vid_consize "-1"
vid_fullscreen "1"
vid_height "400"
vid_refreshrate "60"
vid_vsync "1"
vid_width "640"
viewsize "100.000000"
volume "0.7"

vid_restart
[/ quote ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:46 am 

Thanks for posting that.

I loaded up your config and used no commandline, just as indicated above.

I connected to Shmack and played for about 5 minutes, no problems.

So questions for you ...

1) When does it freeze after connecting to shmack? Right the second you connect? Or does it take a while? Do you get to play for a minute and then it happens? 5 minutes?

2) I saw that were you playing earlier today. Were you using glpro 3.50, I assume? Or were you using JoeQuake or GLQuake or something else to play? The answer might help me.

3) What kind of freeze are you getting? Does it end up doing an illegal operation with a Window saying something like "glpro399.exe performed an illegal operation and must shutdown" or was it some other sort of freeze like the screen goes black?

4) If the answer to #2 was glpro 3.50, you might try using the following commandline with glpro399.exe:

C:\Documents and Settings\Pilk\My Documents\games\QUAKE\glpro399.exe -width 640 -height 400 -gamma 0.65

ProQuake 3.99 actually has 2 different gamma systems in it. If you use -gamma in your command line, it uses classic ProQuake gamma and if you don't use -gamma in the commandline, it uses hardware gamma just like JoeQuake or Qrack. I'm just trying to think what would be different IF you answer #2 that you were using glpro 3.50.

If you try #4 and it doesn't have a crash issue for you, let me know.

Thanks for providing more information.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:21 pm 

1) When does it freeze after connecting to shmack? Right the second you connect? Or does it take a while? Do you get to play for a minute and then it happens? 5 minutes?
right when i connect, but only on shmack and it does it if I play or follow a player

2) I saw that were you playing earlier today. Were you using glpro 3.50, I assume? Or were you using JoeQuake or GLQuake or something else to play? The answer might help me.
yes I gave up on 399 and started using the Mac glpro 3.50

3) What kind of freeze are you getting? Does it end up doing an illegal operation with a Window saying something like "glpro399.exe performed an illegal operation and must shutdown" or was it some other sort of freeze like the screen goes black?
No shut downs or messages, but it just plays the sceen in a loop or hangs up and I will need to reboot, but again...only on shmack. The other servers play great. I will try the command line to see if that helps.

I am trying some new binds for Strafing and circle strafing and for some reason after using them, I can no longer run without going into my settings and turning it back on. For some reason, it changes the "always run" to off. I added this to the config and autoexc I posted before:
alias +cs_r "cl_forwardspeed 180;+moveright;+left;"
alias -cs_r "cl_forwardspeed 425;-moveright;-left;"
alias +cs_l "cl_forwardspeed 180;+moveleft;+right;"
alias -cs_l "cl_forwardspeed 425;-moveleft;-right;"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:17 pm 

Necronomicon wrote:
right when i connect, but only on shmack and it does it if I play or follow a player

Interesting. But at least it is being very consistent.

Quote:
yes I gave up on 399 and started using the Mac glpro 3.50

Could you try to use Windows glpro 3.50 on the same Windows machine and see if you get this issue when playing at Shmack?

What I am trying to determine is if there is anything I changed in glpro 3.99 that could be causing your problem or if the problem already existed in glpro 3.50.

In the event you have the problem in glpro399.exe and not glpro.exe (3.50), I know to look for something I changed. If glpro 3.50 has the problem as well, I know to look for something pre-existing.

I have heard of this kind of problem before. I know a player who says he crashes when he connects to a specific server (the server is a CAx, not shmack and he is using glpro 3.50. I'd very much like to solve this problem.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:58 pm 

I get the same result on two different PC's using 399 and playing on shmack, but I can play on both PC's using 3.50 on shmack. The only thing I can say about Shmack is when I fight certain players, it gets real choppy and my weapons will not fire when I click the mouse, but other players are fine when I fight them. The same players that cause the choppy action are always being accused of cheating by others and don't know what's up. I don't won't to go there and say anyone is cheating, because I don't have a clue and my playing skills suck these days. It may be there closer to the server or have fewer hops. I did have one player tell me I need to anticipate where I think there going and shoot in front, but it's only certain players I need to do this too and I usually need to shoot where they were...not where I think they are going, but the choppy part on 3.50 is no where close to what is on 399. 399 will lock up at times and play the audio in a loop as the screen blacks out.

Hope this helps.
Necro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:55 am 

Necronomicon wrote:
I need to do this too and I usually need to shoot where they were...not where I think they are going, but the choppy part on 3.50 is no where close to what is on 399. 399 will lock up at times and play the audio in a loop as the screen blacks out.

Hope this helps.
Necro

Yes, this is very helpful. It might have something to do with how pq399 deals with lag.

By the time this reaches 4.00, I want this to be a rock.

I plan to do some in-depth speed testing of the rendering and other parts of the code and look for any inefficiencies and do optimization.

It could be a week, but I'll post back when I have a newer version that I think would make a difference.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:41 am 

Will there be any new version for the Mac? I still have some of the same problems when certain people connect playing on the Mac compared to the PC, but think it's just the way it is! I was expecting other post of players having the same problem, but I guess not. I can tell my skills have improved, but I still feel like I start to move in slow motion when specific players log on. Then other times I play and it’s like I have the rune of Athletics…everything moves and plays fast and smooth. At those times, I feel like others are moving in slow motion and I can pick them off easy, but when it happens to me, the rocket launcher will not fire as fast and my movement is slow and choppy! I will have to see if I keyed the alt weapon for Rocket Launcher and now I know I have not, because this happens so much! I have a great ping…usually if goes between 49 and 65, but nothing that makes me think there is a problem with my connection. I now wonder if some players are closer to the server and have less hops or if the upstream speed on my cable service is so much less than my downstream, but this is just a guess and it my be something everyone goes through.

Thanks for your help,
Necro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:44 am 

Necronomicon wrote:
Will there be any new version for the Mac?

I don't have a Mac so there probably won't be a Mac version until I do everything I want to on Windows, which will be quite a while. Probably not in 2008.

Quote:
I still have some of the same problems when certain people connect playing on the Mac compared to the PC, but think it's just the way it is! I was expecting other post of players having the same problem, but I guess not. I can tell my skills have improved, but I still feel like I start to move in slow motion when specific players log on. Then other times I play and it’s like I have the rune of Athletics…everything moves and plays fast and smooth. At those times, I feel like others are moving in slow motion and I can pick them off easy, but when it happens to me, the rocket launcher will not fire as fast and my movement is slow and choppy! I will have to see if I keyed the alt weapon for Rocket Launcher and now I know I have not, because this happens so much! I have a great ping…usually if goes between 49 and 65, but nothing that makes me think there is a problem with my connection. I now wonder if some players are closer to the server and have less hops or if the upstream speed on my cable service is so much less than my downstream, but this is just a guess and it my be something everyone goes through.

Thanks for your help,
Necro

If it doesn't do it in single player and you play enough single player that it would have a chance for it to occur, it's probably your connection. If it happens in single player, it's probably some crappy app running in the background.

Btw, you might considering trying ProQuake 3.99r on Windows and seeing if you still have the crash when you connect to Shmack. A lot of code tightening and optimization has been done since 3.99 a/b/c and 3.99r is very tight as a result.

If 3.99r doesn't have your Windows "crash at Shmack" problem, please let me know.

http://www.quakeone.com/proquake/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:32 am 

I tried the latest update, but get the same results. It's jerky as hell and then locks up. I have my `98 directory backed up and can try and start over with the latest update on top of my old directory. I play on the Mac most all the time now and it plays fine. I still have problems when some players connect and then my game play turns to crap. Sometimes I think it's me, but other times I know it's something to do with the game play. Even on the rare occasions I win, it's like I have the upper hand and everyone else it moving in slow motion. It must be something to do with my cable connection, because I would think others would say something about how the game plays bad at times. One guy that I have trouble with was chatting and I fired three rounds off at his back and the first missed and the second didn't fire for a couple seconds and then I was dead and I don't remember the game doing this years ago, but I will deal with it. It could be something to do with these 30” monitors, but I’m not sure.

Thanks,
Necro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:43 am 

Necronomicon wrote:
I tried the latest update, but get the same results. It's jerky as hell and then locks up. I have my `98 directory backed up and can try and start over with the latest update on top of my old directory. I play on the Mac most all the time now and it plays fine. I still have problems when some players connect and then my game play turns to crap. Sometimes I think it's me, but other times I know it's something to do with the game play. Even on the rare occasions I win, it's like I have the upper hand and everyone else it moving in slow motion. It must be something to do with my cable connection, because I would think others would say something about how the game plays bad at times. One guy that I have trouble with was chatting and I fired three rounds off at his back and the first missed and the second didn't fire for a couple seconds and then I was dead and I don't remember the game doing this years ago, but I will deal with it. It could be something to do with these 30” monitors, but I’m not sure.

Thanks,
Necro

Well, I'm sorry you have those problems. It might just be a particular computer?

At least you Mac works fine!