Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recording Demos
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:21 pm 

How come when I try to record a demo on shmack it says "client demo recording must be enabled before connecting." What does that mean?

Post subject: Re: Recording Demos
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:36 pm 

you can only start recording a demo before you are connected to a server. So disconnect, type in your record command, then connect back. Some engines are like this but Proquake allows you to record while in game I think.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:41 pm 

Ole' Hog Bowel wrote:
How come when I try to record a demo on shmack it says "client demo recording must be enabled before connecting." What does that mean?

What are you using to play Quake?

With ProQuake, JoeQuake and Qrack you can record a demo at any time.

That message doesn't sound like the winquake/glquake error. Are you using DarkPlaces or some other client?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:39 pm 

It means you are using an outdated client that does not support anytime on the fly recording.

What are you using Dos Quake or Q95? lol.

Get GLPRO for the classic look but better graphics, or the above mentioned engines for a redesigned look.

With the newer engines you can record anytime, you do not have to start recording prior to connecting to a server. They also have some on the fly recording options.

If you have an old computer the newer clients may not work or move very slow as they are fairly demanding on your system.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:25 pm 

I use winquake right out of the box. If I use GLQuake or Proquake will that slow my game down? My machine is pretty old...it's a 1GHz Duron Processor, lol. Only 750Mb of RAM and a 32MB video card. I will give GL or PRO a try if you think it will help and won't slow down my game. Thanks for the recording info.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:30 am 

for the longest time i used Q95 :)

good times

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:01 pm 

Hog, you really need to change that video card, buddy.

I did the research for you and came up with this excellent card at an excellent price. If you can afford $140, you can surely bring back life into that PC which is not bad to begin with with this nearly top of the line card for a great price which will juice up your computer considerably - guaranteed! :d You can also enjoy most of semi-recent games as well as rock Quake in GL.

Here is your new card (notice all the good reviews of it):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195031

I have one very similar to that one and it rox! All my games run great and at maxed out resultions.

GL will run with what you have but you will get lower performance. It will still be faster then software. I have a very powerful computer and it is slower for me in software mode then in GL accelerated mode. GL takes into account your graphics card which software mode does not, in any case, GL will run faster then in software mode in any situation. The only exception would be if you have no graphic card at all, or very low megabytes on it - such as 8 - will surely give you trouble because the last ProQuake GL release was in 2002 and at that time nobody had that low MB on their vidcard but the standard was 64 going to 128.

Here is another card, but this one is for dreaming purposes only. :P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814195056

If you do go for that card - which I highly recommend - and enjoy some other games, but if you need help setting up GL Quake, I will help you out, brightness and all.

Later,
Enjoy.
-T.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:20 pm 

Ole' Hog Bowel wrote:
I use winquake right out of the box. If I use GLQuake or Proquake will that slow my game down? My machine is pretty old...it's a 1GHz Duron Processor, lol. Only 750Mb of RAM and a 32MB video card. I will give GL or PRO a try if you think it will help and won't slow down my game. Thanks for the recording info.

If you are using winquake, use the winquake version of ProQuake (wqpro.exe). It won't slow down your game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:14 am 
zop.runequake.com

If you can even use an AGP card that runs 4x, I've seen my card on ebay for $10 (ATI All-In-Wonder 9600) It even does two monitors (make sure it comes with the dongle cord else it's impossible to use). I run glquake (joequake) at 1280x960 and it rarely has problems.