Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Y'alls be votins?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:35 am 
zop.runequake.com

I registered as Republican so I could vote for Ron Paul in the primary (California has a closed primary election)... lot of good that did! But now, I'm not sure who should get my vote. I don't like what Hillary has been saying about video games and family, so she's definately a no. So, then what?

Post subject: Re: Y'alls be votins?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:28 pm 

I think Obama would be a nice change from the usual as a president.

Seems like too many presidents have been from very wealthy families for a long time. Obama is fairly close to normal compared to most of the presidential nominees in the past.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:55 pm 

vote for scoffer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:52 pm 

A black person for President, I thought I would never see that day...

Not that race matters, I was going to root for Hillary - as she seems very professional, and Clinton did a good job back in the day - but she started throwing dirt at Obama on a few occasions and that totally turned me off. Seems as Obama is the only choice now.

McCain has the face of a huge liar, in fact, I get a huge kick out of watching him talk with the volume muted on my T.V., and you can see his funny face and lips moving in a comical way with all the lies coming out. And when he smiles he looks as the Scarecrow. All silly, very funny! :D lol. :P :lol:

Last edited by Paradise on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:57 pm 

I think it's cool that McCain is a veteran and all, but I don't trust someone who speaks the way he does. (This is from Wikipedia, so I know it's not a "great" source, but it is interesting to read what kind of things he says)

In his 1986 senate campaign, he referred to the Leisure World retirement community as "Seizure World", where "97 percent of the people vote and the other 3 percent are in intensive care," a joke whose offense he made worse, as he later conceded, when he did not forthrightly apologize for it.

In 1998, McCain was chastised for making an off-color joke at a Republican fundraiser about President Clinton's daughter, Chelsea, saying "Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because her father is Janet Reno." McCain later apologized to President Clinton and Clinton accepted his apology.

McCain openly used the term "gook", in reference to his Vietnamese torturers during the Vietnam War, even since his return as a POW. During the 2000 presidential campaign, he repeatedly refused to apologize for his continued use of the term, stating that he reserved its reference only to his captors. Late in the primary season, with growing criticism from the Asian American community in the politically important state of California, McCain reversed his position, and vowed to no longer use the term in public. Most Vietnamese Americans, who are mostly refugees from the Communist government, did not find his terminology offensive, and overwhelmingly supported him.

During a campaign appearance in Murrells Inlet, South Carolina on April 18, 2007, McCain was asked a question about possible military action against Iran. He responded by singing “Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran” to the melody of the Beach Boys' song "Barbara Ann", reminiscent of a 1980 parody by Vince Vance & The Valiants. When later confronted about the matter, McCain stated, "My response is lighten up, and get a life." Asked whether the joke he made was insensitive, McCain retorted, "Insensitive to what? The Iranians?"

During a taping of The Daily Show on April 24, 2007, host Jon Stewart asked McCain, "What do you want to start with, the bomb Iran song or the walk through the market in Baghdad?" McCain responded by saying, "I think maybe shopping in Baghdad ... I had something picked out for you, too – a little IED to put on your desk." On April 25, 2007, representative John Murtha demanded an apology from McCain on the floor of the House, where Murtha said that to make jokes about bringing IEDs back for comedians was unconscionable when so many soldiers are dying from IEDs in Iraq. McCain responded by telling Murtha and other critics to "Lighten up and get a life."

On May 18, 2007, during a meeting to negotiate immigration legislation, McCain swore at fellow Senator John Cornyn (R-Texas) after Cornyn expressed concerns about the number of appeals that illegal immigrants could receive. According to multiple sources, Cornyn told McCain, "Wait a second here. I've been sitting in here for all of these negotiations and you just parachute in here on the last day. You're out of line," to which McCain replied, "Fuck you! I know more about this than anyone else in the room."

On February 23, 2008, McCain stated that change would not come to Cuba until Fidel Castro was dead: "I hope he has the opportunity to meet Karl Marx very soon."

Sorry, it may make him seem "more human", but I just can't trust someone who is that critical about others.

I consider myself independant because I really don't care about all the techical stuff about Democrats and Republicans, but this year I'm going to vote for Obama.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:09 pm 

McCain is too old and too isolated. He's lived in Washington D.C. for about 20 years.

It's about time to have a president that is touch with the times.

Does McCain know firsthand the issues that really matter in modern times? I don't think he does. The only things I have ever even heard him express an opinion on are issues that only "Washington pundit" losers care about (Iraq micromanagement, campaign finance reform and other such jackassery issues that only someone who thinks the Washington D.C. insider scene is the world would care about).

To me, McCain comes across as someone who enjoys attention and being on TV. And he will be getting attention and getting on TV, that's for sure.

I really don't think there has been a candidate more out of touch with modern times since Bob Dole ran :lol: :lol: :lol: