Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chat bans?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:10 pm 

In addition to the recent shmack chat-ban of scoffer, FatUglyBitch has also been chat banned. He has played at the server for years, but no more. It is sad for me, because he was a friend of mine. He can be a jerk sometimes, especially when he gets drunk on Friday and Saturday nights, but I see some much worse people than him tolerated on shmack.

I just wanted to know, do these recent chat bans signal some kind of change in policy? Shmack has always been the most tolerant of places, and I'm concerned about the direction things might be taking. Or did FUB pull some really horrendous crap? that is always possible. He can be a wild gun sometimes, but overall he's a good guy

Post subject: Re: Chat bans?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:12 am 

hm. FUB was cool alright, but he was pretty hostile and hateful towards catgirl, singling her out and saying some pretty nasty shit to her everytime the two were on together.

scoffer got chatbanned mostly for verbally abusing a female player. perhaps the same went for FUB.

be nice, folks. thats all it takes. just dont be disrespectful to your fellow players and we'll all get along just fine. if you cant do that, then perhaps you shouldnt play with us. i think the majority of the community can agree on that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:14 am 

This is an excellent trend. These people need to learn respect, if not on their own, then the hard way. I am pleased that Slot is coming down on them, enough is enough. He has been tolerant enough and look where that got us, a slew of problems. If you see what crap is going on when I am on, you would be horrified. Swearing, harassment, racial epithets, inappropriate sexual innuendos, the list goes on and on. It must be put to a stop. Now.

I still strongly believe IHH must be chat-banned, he must not get away with what he did. Driving players away from the server with false accusations. It is the same what Scoffer did and he must be punished equally. In addition, he must be kicked if idlying after 2 rounds, as he stays connected to the server for days at a time from morning until night, and people need his unused play spot which he takes up in vain. Come to think of it, it should be implemented for everybody, the server would be much smoother.

All of these are improvements to the server we love. For change, we must push for change, fight for it and voice it out to our authority the issues which bother us. And inappropriate behaviour is a major one of them. I am extremely glad it is starting to be put to an end now.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:40 am 
Site Admin

spooker wrote:
In addition to the recent shmack chat-ban of scoffer, FatUglyBitch has also been chat banned.

Under normal circumstances I would have kicked FatUglyBitch from the server, but because I recognized him as a veteran and valuable player, I decided to institute the chat ban instead. It's still under development, I might add.

spooker wrote:
I just wanted to know, do these recent chat bans signal some kind of change in policy? Shmack has always been the most tolerant of places, and I'm concerned about the direction things might be taking.

There is no need for concern. All that has changed is a new solution to an old problem. Although, I must admit, I probably wouldn't have kicked Scoffer from the server if I didn't add the chat ban. But I get so many complaints about him I thought I would give my inbox a rest.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:49 pm 

okay thanks for explaining slot. i just wanted to check that 1) it was done by you and not one of the other admins, and 2) that it didnt signal some sort of big change on the server.

one more question: how long do these chat bans last?
even if they were temporary, it doesn't sound like FUB is going to come back. I've been chat banned before (on a CA server, and we all know those have draconian behavioral laws), and it's a big insult and really upsetting--I never went back to that server. It's a good halfway measure between doing nothing and kicking the player, but you still do risk driving players away, even if they've been playing for years
My guess is that FUB was being a jerk one friday or saturday night when he was drunk. he pisses me off at those times too

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:17 am 
Site Admin

spooker wrote:
how long do these chat bans last?

It depends on how the person reacts to the ban. Generally, when someone is banned from the server they reach out to me and see what was the cause and ask what they can do to rectify it. FUB has made no such attempt.

spooker wrote:
My guess is that FUB was being a jerk one friday or saturday night when he was drunk. he pisses me off at those times too

Unfortunately, it's a little bit more complicated than that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:19 am 
zop.runequake.com

I'm just mad that he wasn't sharing the booze.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:20 pm 

FUB always harasses Catgirl, it is not just a one night thing.

As for Scoffer he has been circumventing his chat-ban by using his name to talk. This must be fixed as well and his name must be freezed.

He changes his name aiming insults at me as well:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:11 pm 

A better way to deal with this would be a server-side ignore player# command, that if used the activating players messages aren't seen by the ignoree and vice-versa that makes it clear upon activation that a given player will not be able to read your messages. Most players don't talk to themselves.

An even better way is just to learn to ignore someone yourself. It's only words, unless you decide to make it more than that.

Otherwise it will always be a "I will tell the admin on you" process that attracts drama and unfairness. Some people are too easily offended.

And does it matter if someone stays connected most of the time? Prior to the change eliminating the need for the Qsmack admin tool, one player slot was constantly used by "runequake.com".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:22 am 
Site Admin

Baker wrote:
An even better way is just to learn to ignore someone yourself. It's only words, unless you decide to make it more than that.

For the most part, I totally agree, however, if someone was spouting your mother's social security # and her home address, ignoring would be the last thing on your mind. There is a limit to what you can say, legally and otherwise.

Baker wrote:
Otherwise it will always be a "I will tell the admin on you" process that attracts drama and unfairness. Some people are too easily offended.

This type of behavior is frowned upon. If you're not an admin, don't pretend to be one or know how one would react, it can get you banned.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:34 am 

Very true. I think most of the long-time regulars would say that this has long been the best run server.

I'm sorry to see that anyone does things like that. It's none of my business, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:08 pm 

Baker wrote:
Very true. I think most of the long-time regulars would say that this has long been the best run server.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:40 pm 

Me ignoring those players will not help as their messages will still be visible to others.

Putting my head as an ostridge in the ground will not make issues go away. You must realize that.

Well put Slot.

For IHH, since you are that lazy to exit out and double-click the Quake icon again and re-connect, I offer the following final solution. That idle players can be on the server as long as there is room for it. If players pressing 2 in the que and wishing to join and play can not play because you are taking an unused spot, then you must be kicked.

This is in all fairness, if you disagree with this you are a complete hypocrite. Be considerate and nice to give your spot to players who wish to play - do not be a Llama - and as you can not manually do that as you have to be present all the time on the server, I strongly believe and it is easier for everybody that the server does it for you.

Thank you.

Last edited by Paradise on Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:56 pm 

Fatuglybitch got what he deserved. The chat ban is a great idea for people like FUB and if he can't handle it and not come back to play, it's his loss not ours. All he ever does is harrass me and/or brag to others about himself. Spooker, you say he is your friend, that's fine, but he doesn't seem like a very good friend if he doesn't come back to play when you play. With FUB, everything is about him. I didn't mind the personal attacks on me, except that he went on for way too long with it. Night after night for months. Then he started with my Mom, about her and him doing vulgar things together, telling other players, blurting out my email addy to all, then my hubby, calling him a coward etc. The chat ban he got was deserved. The problem is that he is just too stubborn or stupid, maybe both, that if and when the chat ban is lifted and he comes back, I know he'll start all over again, right where he left off. Then he'll cry when he gets another chat ban, probably by sending out 30-40 emails about Slot, like he did with me. I wouldn't be surprised if and when he reads this, he'll post with the same BS insults here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:18 pm 

Paradise wrote:
Baker, it does not bother me if they say something to me only. It bothers me as other people see it. I can ignore them, others can not.

Yeah, I kind of know what you mean and yet I don't completely.

People have tried to troll me while I'm on a server. It doesn't work. I only respond if I feel like it; usually I don't.

They type and type and type and type and after I while they realize I'm not reading it. (Some of the time I admit I am laughing at them because they look dumb talking to someone who isn't responding. :D)

I show up to play, I don't have an obligation to read to anything anyone types and if the game is boring I leave and find something else to do. Every once in a while I do feel like responding, but either way, what I do is my choice.

Quote:
For IHH, since you are that lazy to exit out and double-click the Quake icon again and re-connect, I offer the following final solution. That idle players can be on the server as long as there is room for it. If players pressing 2 in the que and wishing to join and play can not play because you are taking an unused spot, then you must be kicked.

This is in all fairness, if you disagree with this you are a complete hypocrite. Be considerate and nice to give your spot to players who wish to play - do not be a Llama - and as you can not manually do that as you have to present all the time on the server, I strongly believe and it is easier for everybody that the server does it for you.

Tia, you seem to lack focus and get easily distracted :D

Maybe twice a day, there are 16 players at Shmack for 5-10 minutes. He isn't hurting anyone.

And you've probably wasted 3-5 hours thinking and posting about it. If it were someone else doing it, would you care?

I actually thinks it helps get games going when someone is idling on a server, because usually it takes them 3 minutes to find out no one is there and in that time, 2 or 3 players connect seeing a couple of players there.

/My take on stuff, right or wrong

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:30 am 

Baker wrote:
And you've probably wasted 3-5 hours thinking and posting about it.

No I have not, you have no idea what you are talking about. Your assumptions do not define me. After I read the post, I wrote my reply instantaneously.

Last edited by Paradise on Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:58 pm 

Here's me two cents worth.

Fat Ugly Bitch has stated about everything vile I think I've ever heard come out of someone's mouth and hurled it at catgirl. Not just on several occasions but for months. I'd give him another month to get that out of his system. He wasn't playing to the best of my recollection just slandering and spamming cat's email address to everyone.

I think we are a small community and should realize it is hard to get everyone together for some decent blowing each other into fragments. Most come online to blow off some steam and Id Quake 1996 is the one I choose for same.

It's hard enough to focus on fragging toyo, paradise, sarah, spooker and yugo without having to listen to voluminous spamming of slanders to anyone. I've been on both ends in the past and realize at this juncture how juvenile it is. Even though I consider it "adult like" to take on a fantasy name and spew ownage on a game where players do 20 foot swan dives after I frag them, heh heh heh.

On another note...

I just ask that certain "pro" players understand our gaming community is losing members and it's not much of a learning experience to play a 50-17 map in 13 minutes. I note from many comments on other servers that Slot's Shmack is considered a noob server but I try to point out that his generally doesn't gather dust like theirs and the twenty some odd others do. If you're that good and have a decent lead make it interesting and let someone get withing 20. Use the shotgun a while.

Never the less some of these "pro" players come onto our beloved rune server and turn everything off including hook, spawn shields, pent & quad to make it as close to what they do on one of those empty servers. Then they still cry noob when something other then dm3 isn't voted. Please allow me to spew on a few on these fine souls without chat banning me. :o

Slot thanks for your time and resources. I will look forward to playing fub and scoffer. Catgirl hang in there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:46 pm 

SaToon wrote:
I just ask that certain "pro" players understand our gaming community is losing members and it's not much of a learning experience to play a 50-17 map in 13 minutes. I note from many comments on other servers that Slot's Shmack is considered a noob server but I try to point out that his generally doesn't gather dust like theirs and the twenty some odd others do. If you're that good and have a decent lead make it interesting and let someone get withing 20. Use the shotgun a while.

Mr. SaToon, you must please understand that not all dominating players will cater to your playing requests. If everyone will play according to your requests then it is possible, but everyone will want to do their own thing. That is true for the most.

You must keep up with others and improve yourself.

In a 1vs1 situation, this is another story, you can ask that of your participant, as you know I did it it for you.;) I recognized that getting blown to bits and pieces at every turn is not a fun way for others to play the game.

As long as all the participants in the game agree to the set rules, I do take custom requests and play certain ways I am asked for in friendly matches to allow my participants to improve and for fun purposes.

I personally play at a pro level as I always do my best and to raise the playing bar of others. If you notice, everybody is lethal. There exist very few actual noobs on Shmack.

Shmack is not a noob server, that is a popular misconception.