Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When does simple trash talk cross the line?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:00 pm 

Some seem to be very good at talking trash. It is something that can be expected, but....
Is there a line? If so what is it?

I think some get to bent out of shape over it.

I like when people call me a bot, makes me feel good.

Post subject: Re: When does simple trash talk cross the line?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:55 am 
zop.runequake.com

I think it's pretty subjective. Cross-the-line implies a line is defined, which it really isn't.

My line would be when it's physically affecting what I'm doing, like someone screaming into a team chat channel, or filling my screen with text. Quake doesn't allow that much chat text to appear, so it's not possible to cross my line with it... At least, far as I know!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:30 pm 

I think being called a bot is a really infantile, dumb and old insult, such as the lame "your mama" jokes you used to hear in Junior High School - if it was in your time period.

I agree, Sarah and Scoffer seemed to have sharpened their tongue to quite an impressive negative extent, although they still do not realize that while they are talking to us they glorify us. Every time I connect to play, these 2 clowns want to talk to me, ya and IHH too. I said that I came to play and do not have time for idle chit-chatter and that if they want to get an "exclusive interview" they must pay me, lol. :D Shit, my time is precious and I am a Celebrity cuz they keep talking about me. :lol: That worked really well, and I was laughing my butt off cuz they had nothing to retort to that. They said they would not pay then shortly left thereafter, lol. I said that to Sarah.

Just earlier today, Vixen was on and she started whining after I was kicking her butt, for no reason at all. Before I disconnected, I told her I was happy to see her and wanted her to return to play more. :)

I think all these clowns should get their game up or just shut their traps.

I cannot wait for Slot's new client-side silencer code to stuff a sock into their diarrhea-induced mouths. Only if there were saying anything interesting, they just say the same crap every day, are dumb for all their lives and the garbage talk poluting the air-waves needs to be eliminated.

Regards.

P.S. Making threads about troublemakers does not help the situation because that is what they thrive on - getting off seeing you get upset. Ignore them totally.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:00 pm 
King Scoffer

OMG. if tia only knew how much she was disliked in this community, there would be no trash talk.

all I got to say about that.

King Scoffer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:36 pm 

A certain quaker has been making some pretty elaborate and specific threats lately, including actual street addresses, phone numbers, names, weapons and methods, etc. Death threats don't really bother me -- I can pretend to be as big an ITG as anyone -- but if there's a line to be crossed, I imagine that would cross it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:22 pm 

I believe trashtalking takes 2 people or more and is in itself a health sub-sport to most parent sports. Harassment is completely different and should only belong to criminals and law breakers. Everyone deserves their right in the public world to be, believe, think, feel, say, whatever they want, as long as it doesn't make another feel physically threatened, Once another person feels they will be physically threatened then its beyond the point of freedom and turned into crime.

trashtalking is something that even the best of friends do almost like second nature in some aspects. Its all part of the game. Once the person who is taking the time to listen to the trashtalker takes in that information and assesses it to be leading to physical harm then they to the take it upon themself to weight the situation and decide "Will this person actually harm me? - Should I take physical action?" etc etc etc...

So in a sense, If you let the trashtalker get under your skin where you actually communicate with them and give them information you are enabling that individual to make mental choices as to push more "trashtalk" your way. If they aren't your buddy then ignore them, if they keep doing it them its harassment and thats illegal.

In a nutshell, if they're "talking shit" then ignore them, if they are "shit talking" then they are probably just playing the game and being verbally competitive, which you can chose to ignore or respond with little to no repercussion.

Joined forum - 12/04/07 - Legends don't die, they fade away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

Yugo2Heck wrote:
A certain quaker has been making some pretty elaborate and specific threats lately, including actual street addresses, phone numbers, names, weapons and methods, etc. Death threats don't really bother me -- I can pretend to be as big an ITG as anyone -- but if there's a line to be crossed, I imagine that would cross it.

There is absolutely a line, but this line varies from person to person. When in doubt, the person affected should contact me via e-mail or private message. Do not post about it in a public forum and do not complain about it if it doesn't involve you. If you are receiving death threats and have a genuine fear, please contact your local authorities as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:26 am 

shit be gettin gangsta up in here haha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:42 pm 

mindfieldzx wrote:
shit be gettin gangsta up in here haha

lol...

I've received a few death threats over Quake in the past, its really no big deal to me as people usually don't know I'm 6' 2'' 260 pounds of fury with a machete within arms reach most of the time (nunchucks got confiscated :() just incase daddy needs alittle more pep in his step when it comes to putting people to sleep or scare off the night crawlers.. anyway...

I'm not concerned about the internet losers who throw death threats around, i'm betting 90% of them don't even know how to shoot a weapon let alone deal with the mental consequences and repercussions of taking another person's life or even how it should be executed (not that i've killed anyone :P). Its those people in real life who act like they have something to prove that I watch.

Joined forum - 12/04/07 - Legends don't die, they fade away.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:20 pm 

The threat I'm talking about wasn't like "stfu yugo ima cut u up irl" it was more like, "hey <real life name>, i have a friend in <city>, he's going to show up at <street address> and look for <accurate physical description> and follow you for a while, then <detailed description of torture>. that'll teach you not to call me bald." The guy had plenty of time to cool off while doing all that research.

Once again, I'm not complaining, and I'm not at all scared or worried, I just think it's a good example of trash talk "crossing the line" (if there is such a thing).

BTW, Phenom, that was a very nice illustration of the archetypal ITG -- the only thing missing was your extensive military and martial-arts training. I was going to whip out my own, but I like to keep it in my pants until I'm actually ready to use it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:38 am 

Wow, Yugo that is pretty scary!

Consider ever eliminating your trash talk that could have generated *that* much anger at you?

I know that you annoy me pretty much too sometimes, and we have our exchanges. :lol:

I think trash-talk is unnecessary and detracts from your own focus of the game. Besides take advantage of the trash-talker typing and you get a free frag :!: :P

I never do it.

I hope all Quakers are safe, because taking shit from the game to real life is just stupid!

Take care.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:44 pm 
King Scoffer

this is the dumbest shit Ive ever heard, even here in this place.

people, remove heads from ass, then wipe.

paradump, leave yours in....

King

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:00 am 

Scoffer... why so grouchy?

Last edited by Yugo2Heck on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:31 am 
King Scoffer

grouchy? I thought it was funny....

scoffer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:52 am 

No, King Skullfuck is funny..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:34 pm 
zop.runequake.com

Whoever has been rubbing their feet on the carpet shound ground themselves before a dozen more posts show up!