Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vampire trolls
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:17 pm 

Lately the fad on the Shmack RQ server is for players to vote to enable rune drop, then search for the vengeance and vampire rune so they can do their little trick whereby the vampire-holding player throws gas on the vengeance-holding player, triggering a chain reaction of death/resurrection, and rolling off a chain of frags for the vengeance-holding player.

If it happens organically it's probably one of the coolest things that can happen in RQ. But what is happening is that Sheep FKR and his band of followers are doing their best to impede the game. I thought this "fad" would go away after a day or two, but they keep on and on and on, round after round, day after day, week after week.

Sheep FKR and his vampire troll followers berate and insult any players actually trying to play the game so that they can do this little trick. I am not fond of this, but it actually is pretty fun to frag on them while they are doing it. However, it absolutely does drive away players which I am definitely not fond of. I see that as a big problem.

The other big problem is that Sheep FKR now connects to the game with 2 clients. If none of his band of trolls are on the server, he uses his 2nd client as a pawn so that he can still do the trick. When he does it in the middle of a game of actual players, it pretty much defeats the purpose of the game. I've attached a demo of him doing this. The demo was in a mostly empty game (3 players). But even in a server full of players, he will still do it, effectively ruining the game for every other player.

I have called him on this behavior and his response is that he thinks it's funny, he thinks all the other players think it's funny, and he'll stop doing it if Slot Zero tells him to stop. Lame! I'm sure we'll hear from Sheep and his band of vampire trolls telling everyone how cool they are and how funny their trick is, and how much of a whiner I am. Har har. It was funny once. It's not funny round after round, day after day, week after week. And I'm definitely not the only one who hates it.

I'd like to suggest a couple of ways to address this major nuisance:

1. As an immediate deterrent, disable rune drop voting. The result of rune dropping is that after a few minutes, only the strong runes remain because they are the ones that people hold until they die. This tremendously increases the chance that any rune will be vampire or vengeance, which are the two runes needed by the vampire trolls. Disabling it would make finding the runes much more difficult, and serve as a deterrent to their nonsense.

2. As a permanent solution, fix the vampire rune so that a long series of death/resurrection events is more difficult or impossible. Perhaps max it out at 3 or 5, or add spawn protection for 2 or 3 seconds after resurrection, or disable it entirely. Resurrection is a cool feature of the rune, but not at the expense of the entire game. Vampire rune would be plenty strong without resurrection at all.

Attachments:
File comment: Enclosed demo shows Sheep FKR switching between his two clients to shamelessly ruin the game.
idiotsheep.zip [88.83 KiB]
Downloaded 1276 times
 Post subject: Re: Vampire trolls
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

I agree, the vampire rune needs to be addressed to avoid this abuse. Hopefully doing such will make it more difficult for those players who want to be a nuisance on the server.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

This should be fixed now. Let me know if it does the job.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:48 pm 

Seems to have done the trick, thanks a bunch.

Sheep and I and some others had a constructive discussion about the whole thing this evening. According to him, what the vampire bunch was looking for is something new and fresh. Even though this is really an old trick, it was new to a lot of the players on the server.

Maybe time to add a new rune or two?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

Zop has taken over the rune making portion of the mod. He's very hard at work on some new runes, I think. It could all just be a dream.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:44 am 
zop.runequake.com

I can't let it all out just yet, but we are looking into an advertising rune. We are already getting sponsoring bids from the usual: romero, ballmer, baker, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:14 am 

i guess im in the band of followers. That trick was funny, and your right it was new to me up to a month ago. In the words of Mindz: Why so serious, brah???