Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reigniting runequake, and to a larger extent, quake
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:10 pm 

I was brainstorming with r00k about ways to get Quake the traffic it used to have, even 4 years ago compared to now. The popularity of servers like quake.hating.com, intertex, or even shmack back when it would fill up cannot be understated compared to now.

Runes seems a bit stagnant, players are not playing nearly as often anymore. What better way to get traffic back on the server than to add a voteable flags & teamplay mode to runes at shmack? Of course pub style, not clanring. This would get the current players interested in ctf while maintaining the runes that they already enjoy, and bring back some of the people that may have quit due to stagnancy. R00k says he can code this into the runequake mod.

Thoughts on this idea?

Post subject: Re: Reigniting runequake, and to a larger extent, quake
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:12 pm 

I'm in for that idea....
EzJacK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:43 pm 

I loved how many of the kids became over-night "gods" a few years back. Was enough for me to say fuck it and play sim-city instead...

I'd have to see much more security before I'd ever think of playing again. Has NOTHING to do with the game going stagnant.

I left because of the script-kiddies.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:35 am 
zop.runequake.com

CTF servers already exist, and people join them. I believe they are made of mostly previous CAx players and some dm'ers, both of which basically have no regard for RQ.

Perhaps a better shot would be something brand new, yet also somehow based on popular things... as examples; a team mode with preselected runes (different rune for each team, or more TF-like wherein certain members choose from offense/defense/trap/whatever runes) or some variant vaguely like ctf, like king of the hill. Personally, I like the last man standing aspect of CAx, and that can be added to anything. Another thing to consider is that those rq+coop games still happen at times.

However, Slot added midair and headhunter modes over the years, and it was more or less ineffective... and, perhaps, even forgotten. Other mods (not ones made by me) have been put out, and they don't have a following, either. So, I don't think anyone will be too interested in coding a new one without some... research? or something.

Right now, at least, there is already a way to vote for plain ol' teamplay on RQ. Additionally, some (all?) of the runes' traps emit the particle color of the team.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

IHATEHUMANS wrote:
I left because of the script-kiddies.

Could you please provide a list of names? I am short of entertainment this week and I could really use a good laugh.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:19 am 

Zop wrote:
CTF servers already exist, and people join them. I believe they are made of mostly previous CAx players and some dm'ers, both of which basically have no regard for RQ.

Perhaps a better shot would be something brand new, yet also somehow based on popular things... as examples; a team mode with preselected runes (different rune for each team, or more TF-like wherein certain members choose from offense/defense/trap/whatever runes) or some variant vaguely like ctf, like king of the hill. Personally, I like the last man standing aspect of CAx, and that can be added to anything. Another thing to consider is that those rq+coop games still happen at times.

However, Slot added midair and headhunter modes over the years, and it was more or less ineffective... and, perhaps, even forgotten. Other mods (not ones made by me) have been put out, and they don't have a following, either. So, I don't think anyone will be too interested in coding a new one without some... research? or something.

Right now, at least, there is already a way to vote for plain ol' teamplay on RQ. Additionally, some (all?) of the runes' traps emit the particle color of the team.

I disagree. None of what you describe is the same as pub CTF on shmack. It already has what little traffic there is left in the community. The servers you describe are CRCTF with a 3wave hook and have no traffic in the first place.

Shmack already has the traffic and if we add a vote-able non clanring CTF option I think the audience will enjoy it. Maybe even with Scrags instead of flags (i.e. capture the scrag).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:51 am 
Site Admin

I vote for Zop The Fish.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:48 pm 

I'm game for a re-awakening, without my usual BS...let's make it fun. :up:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:27 pm 

Flags in CTF?I dont think thats very appealing.

How about new rune's.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:21 pm 

I know I'm a grouch, but what's killing it for me are the gimmicks. Enabling LG discharge and camping water, rune drop filling a map with berzerk/shield/quad, turning off spawn shield, etc. Constantly running around DM4, start and E1M7 has also gotten really stale. The traps are driving me kind of nuts too. Running over "anti-packs" when I run around a corner is really starting to annoy the piss out of me. My two cents.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:07 pm 

sprax wrote:
I know I'm a grouch, but what's killing it for me are the gimmicks. Enabling LG discharge and camping water, rune drop filling a map with berzerk/shield/quad, turning off spawn shield, etc. Constantly running around DM4, start and E1M7 has also gotten really stale. The traps are driving me kind of nuts too. Running over "anti-packs" when I run around a corner is really starting to annoy the piss out of me. My two cents.

type "never" in the console. It'll auto-vote no all the time.

I always use the "never" command before i enter the game.

or bind a key for never, such as bind m "never"

and if you want to yes a vote, you have to yes it twice.

bind a key for voting as well

such as bind b "yes" and bind n "no", it makes it so you don't have to open the console.