Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad packet loss now
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:11 pm 

So my ping issue resolved itself. Now with the aid of net_stats I'm seeing really bad packet loss now instea. This is under "droppeddatagrams" I get about 700 dropped packets per map. Immediately joining I'll have at least 10-- seems to increment quickly afterwards.

Everyone I talk to in the game has "0" packet loss. It really makes playing difficult as it literally skips/jumps while moving about-- though the ping response is good so firing and turning are still quick. But with packet loss you'll miss things like sounds picking up ammo packs-- or sometimes a long delay when you pick up a rune before it shows you what you picked up (upwards of 2 seconds) As well as really jerky movement when grappling across large areas.

I've already tried it on a separate laptop-- also tried directly connected wired to my modem... no luck. Wondering if there is any kind of game setting in the config files that would handle packets better (or network card settings)

Post subject: Re: Bad packet loss now
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:32 am 
zop.runequake.com

A this point, you might need to do weird things, like try another Quake client, hard reset the modem (keep trying it with a direct connection- and turn off wireless if it's built in), test the connection at server port 26001, reinstall the network card driver, try another modem... who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:43 pm 

It has been resolved finally. I set the MTU from 1400 to 1500 on the router and everything is normal again. I'm not sure if that is a factory default on the N600 (WNDR3700) Netgear routers or not. What is strange is that I reset my Motorola Docsis modem out of bridge mode and ran directly from that-- had the same issues. So I was sure it was something with Time Warner... hopefully this can help others as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:03 am 

I have the exact same problem as you Killa,
I checked my MTU it is already at 1500.

Killa wrote:
So my ping issue resolved itself. Now with the aid of net_stats I'm seeing really bad packet loss now instea. This is under "droppeddatagrams" I get about 700 dropped packets per map. Immediately joining I'll have at least 10-- seems to increment quickly afterwards.

Everyone I talk to in the game has "0" packet loss. It really makes playing difficult as it literally skips/jumps while moving about-- though the ping response is good so firing and turning are still quick. But with packet loss you'll miss things like sounds picking up ammo packs-- or sometimes a long delay when you pick up a rune before it shows you what you picked up (upwards of 2 seconds) As well as really jerky movement when grappling across large areas.

I've already tried it on a separate laptop-- also tried directly connected wired to my modem... no luck. Wondering if there is any kind of game setting in the config files that would handle packets better (or network card settings)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:40 pm 

I've asked several others in the game to check their droppeddatagrams and seems like many are having this issue now. Unsure if hosting changed or where the server is physically hosted. Who runs the server again?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Server is in Chicago, IL and has been for many years. Other than normal Linux updates, no recent changes were made.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:12 pm 

Packet loss is quite bad as of late. Just confirmed this with players from different places all over the world (I am in Canada). I dunno what's up, But it's been pretty jarring to play the past 1 month or so. I get the 'network ethernet' icon. Ping is the same as always but the server has been jarring to play lately.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:43 pm 

Worse than ever now. I had 1150 droppeddatagrams in just 5 minutes. Nothing changed on my side and worked a couple of days ago. Anybody else?