Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Awesome Replacement for Internet Explorer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:55 am 

I hate Internet Explorer and Microsoft Outlook/Outlook Express.

Internet Explorer lets too many suspicious activities occur. One example is that it will pop-up unrequested dialogs to install programs. Others are some perverse things that you can do with VBScript, go to http://www.anonymizer.com and click on Snoop Test and it will provide some examples.

About every week, a new security exploit is patched for Microsoft Outlook and I find it funny when I get a virus email from someone I know. I don't use Outlook, so I'm not vulnerable to them but just laugh to myself because I know the guy who "sent" the email has a virus that emailed itself to everyone in his address book.

Mozilla 1.2.1 is an open source, free browser that is basically an improved version of Netscape. Features include ...

Built-in anti-popup option
    Ability to right-click on ads and click "Block Images From This Server and never get ads from that server again (Doubleclick.net, etc.)
    Built-in email with support for multiple email addresses. (I have 5 email addresses it checks and if I send mail I select from a dropdown what email address is sending it)
    A Download Manager, basically a screen that tracks your downloads
    Built-in anti-popup option
    Ability to open documents in tabs, instead of having 100 windows open. Alternative to Open Link In New Window

It has many more features, but those are the ones that come to mind as some of the best. It has other things built-in like Cookie Managers and Form-Filler Managers and other features I don't personally use myself. I like it and you can lobby the open source developers to add features to it.

It's not an experimental browser or anything gay. It has fully HTML 4 support and full CSS and is more or less a project initiated by AOL/Netscape a few years back. It's a professional open source project, like OpenOffice.Org (an open source Office suite started as an offshoot of StarOffice by Sun Microsystems).

It rules! I've been disappointed in other browsers in the past, Netscape 6 was a dud in my opinion. I found this browser about 2 months ago, and it is a great Internet Explorer replacement.

Download it at http://www.mozilla.org (Mozilla was the codename for Netscape back in 1995)

(One thing ... if you have an old computer, like less than 700 Mhz, I don't recommend it. On my old computer it seemed a little slow.)[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:18 am 

Is there a program to block "baker posts"? Your "ads" are almost as obnoxious as the real thing. :D

Post subject: Mozilla
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:55 am 

I just installed Mozilla 1.3 today, it's cool. It's way faster than IE. Of course it can't display a lot of internal websites that are designed for IE only, but I just use IE on my little break-me machine for those. It's pretty funny that I'm using Mozilla to help give tech support for Microsoft at my job, hahaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:10 pm 

About the only web site Mozilla doesn't display well for me is Microsoft.com, especially the support and knowledgebase portions of the site.

If you click Edit-Preferences in Mozilla and select Scripts and Plug-ins, uncheck "Open Unrequested Windows" and pop-ups are gone forever. If those sites that annoyingly change status bar text annoy you, you can uncheck "Change status bar text" and no sites will do that, nor will any sites override the status bar text when you move the mouse over links.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:23 am 

I have been using 1.3 Alpha in Linux for a couple months now and it runs great. Stable as hell for an Alpha release. Then when 1.3 Beta was released it was buggy with weird things like some links that completely disapear when you mouseOver them. So I went back to Alpha. All major plug-ins are well supported too (Java, Flash, etc.)

MagnesiuM

Slot for president!

Post subject: Re: Awesome Replacement for Internet Explorer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:35 pm 

lol @ this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:24 pm 

So this was what I was doing 6.5 years ago!

Mozilla later became to be known as FireFox!

Yes, I am a legend and who can see into the future. Today FireFox has a 23% share of usage and has been downloaded over a billion times.

I'm awesome like that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:04 am 
zop.runequake.com

I use Opera. You can ctrl+z closed tabs to reopen them.

Is this a record for time length of a revived thread??

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:01 am 

Opera pwns all over that memory leaking, open source, bloated because every jackass who thinks they can code is screwing with its innards browzer known as Firefox.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:53 am 
Site Admin

FireFox, the new IE.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:34 am 

Something occurred to me, Opera which I use, only has about a minuscule 1% market share but M$ sure hassles them up one side and down the other. They seem to pay way more attention to Opera than they do to FF, which owns nearly half the market share.

Then I thought, if I was M$, I had all their resources and their seeming drive to rule the world, and my biggest browser competition was an open source community that anyone who knew their stuff could get involved in... what would I do????? hmmm...