Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: some players take the fun out of playing!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:27 pm 

Ive been back playing for a while and notice its hit or miss on amount of players on server. There's been one guy that seems to run off the handful that's still around. He goes by different names and uses BB-Gun (100.0.130.xxx) more than others. He can call me names and that's cool…I know I'm getting to him, but my 7 year old grandson has been wanting to learn this game and this guy is such an ass toward all players. Ive chatted with several players and he seems to rag them as well. I guess the best thing to do is point my grandson toward other games, but thats ashamed. Quake one is still a great game and I would like to see other continue to play.

Post subject: Re: some players take the fun out of playing!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:46 pm 
zop.runequake.com

I know there's an ignore list that you can enable, but I think certain players have to be added it by the server admin? I think some quake clients can be made to hide messages/console stuff, but again I'm mostly useless, since I don't know those details either.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:03 am 

Hi Necro
One thing you could try, depending on the quake engine you are using, is the cl_notifylines 0 command. It effectively shuts off chat messages from appearing on screen. I tend to use it quite a bit on some servers when certain individuals are present and admins are not intervening as it means you can have a game without abuse. You do still get the "beep" but no message so it may be sufficient to censor things for your little one :)

To reverse it type cl_notifylines 4

I know the Qrack Quake engine had a form of cl_mute command but I never tried that out.

Hope this is of some use to you

Kind regards

Monty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:58 pm 

Thanks guys...Ill add the command line. I assume it should work on the Mac client.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:57 pm 

Have no worries about the remarks, it happens all the time on all the servers I'm sure, the one your talking about is Sarah.....besides her rude remarks she's a good player. Maybe she'll come around, I think she gets picked on a lot here...maybe she has no filter, I'm not sure. I do enjoy her game play but I pay no attention to her chat most of the time. Sometimes you just have to let it go and enjoy the game, most players here are here just to have fun....happy hunting!
Ez

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:54 pm 

GOOD for you introducing a youngster (cannot believe I used that word) When I had my daughter playing last year I found nearly everyone super polite and "clean" mouthed once they learned there was a child online with us all. Additionally, everyone really went out of their way to encourage her and make it fun for a total newbie!

Q-N