Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2016 Quake Server Donation
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:51 am 
Site Admin

I've setup the annual GoGetFunding project to help fund the Quake servers for the following year (2017). If you enjoy playing on the Quake servers and don't want to see them go, please consider making a donation. The server is running on a dual Intel Xeon processor (8 cores) w/ 32 GB RAM. Hopefully the new host I got last year has been good for everyone. Here is the link to the project page:

http://gogetfunding.com/2016-quake-server-donation/

Thanks in advance to all who donate,

Post subject: Re: 2016 Quake Server Donation
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

Only 30 days left to donate! The donation link has been up for 30 days already with no donations. Please spread the word if you want to keep the servers alive!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:26 am 

I may be out of line for saying this, but I am curious of the answer

We have many servers pretty much empty throughout the day over at Quakeone not seeing much activity for years and years (or at least not filled to capacity frequently), would it be so hard to just copy the mod over to there? I am particularly thinking of the Rage server, as it plays best, maybe runequake can rest on a separate port there :) I have no idea about the costs and who is running, paying or operating for that one, I'm just throwing an idea here

We are just one community so, here and there - it's still our beloved Quake and we can all work together :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

If the server doesn't get funded I am pretty much done and I am not interested in relocating elsewhere. I also do not like being dependent on other peoples equipment, I know the fate of this server depends on me and its community so I don't have to worry that one day whoever is hosting me will just up and quit. At least this way I know the community was tired of it and we had a good run. Thank you for the suggestion though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:27 pm 

Ok I understand, you can be done, but a copy of this can be put elsewhere and we can continue to play. I still see some players around on shmack. You don't have to do anything like relocate etc.. At most maybe you can register at Quakeone have a subforum there if you want or not.... ehh... and I don't think it will die out, because Rage and the Quakeone servers have been around constantly. And you wont be dependent because you are done, it is just the mod running elsewhere

I did notice that somewhere (and I'm not a programmer) that you have released the source for this mod and I think some do play with their friends at their lans..... so someone could even take this mod and put it elsewhere and we could all connect there...right? which is kinda like the same thing I was saying above about hosting it

But yea, the order is donations (because it's a whole community like you said), and if that won't work out then my suggestions maybe :)

Again I don't mean to be rude or anything, it's your stuff here, I'm just saying it's better than nothing at all.... and I think that's a cool idea :) I'm just throwing suggestions at everything that could be done, you know, trying all the possibilities :)

Last edited by Gem on Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:35 pm 

I guess what I'm trying to say overall is that if there is desire for this mod to be played, it shouldn't die just because of lack of funding regardless of situations

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

The mod isn't going anywhere. As you say, the source code is available for anyone to use and the server can be run by anyone who wants to do so. It's the server specifically known as Shmack (quake.shmack.net) and the CRMod servers (quake.crmod.com) that I hold annual donations for. These servers are community funded and I will continue to keep them alive as long as people want me to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:55 pm 

Ah ok, I understand now :) Right, it won't be Shmack anymore :( maybe like Quake with runes or something.. yea..

Well I am satisfied with your answers and they were very interesting because I had this on my mind for quite a while and honestly I was curious about the answers to my questions lol The mod may run anywhere but it's the sense of the whole community (the servers and this forum) that will be lost I guess.. at least that's how I honestly understand it as of now

I really do wish everything to go well, always :)
Cheers :up:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

I suppose it boils down to nostalgia. A place where time stands still in a game that is 20 years old.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:47 pm 

Oh yea, definitely!

The unforgettable levels, players you encountered online, tons of games played, memories associated with the time period, all crammed into just 50MB of disk space (original Quake file size) :) I always feel young playing Quake hehe

I feel as if this game will always live on somewhere or someplace and in some particular form, be it runes or all the other mods it has spawned. Viva la Quake 1 :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:23 am 
Site Admin

I added a donation reminder message to the mod and it now thanks a random person who has donated. Yes, I know some people hate the spam type messages and I apologize but it will help get the message out there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

Funding for 2017 is 100% successful. Thanks to all those who donated to keep the server alive and those who helped get the word out!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:53 am 

Wo ho!

Slot for president!