Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

In a winner takes all FFA, which player wins ...
Magnesium 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Smooth 44%  44%  [ 8 ]
Toyo MR2 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
WeirdQ 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Yugo2heck/Hex$Angel 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject: In a winner takes all FFA, which player wins ...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:25 pm 

There are a large number of formidable RuneQuake players. There are servers with different rules, and I feel that the way certain servers are setup give big bonuses to camping and "defending items".

But if on a server with spawn-protection and no hook at all using the standard Runes and these players participated, who would win:

Magnesium
Smooth
Toyo MR2
WeirdQ
Yugo2Heck/Hex$Angel (he of a 1000 names)

I know there are other players that do well on other servers, but it was my experience at Shmack some of these so-called "good" players were either mortal or run-of-the-mill players when camping-type strategies were neutralized by server rules.

There are certainly other worthy players that should be considered in an ideal poll, but the polls at this forum support 5 options only.

Post subject: Re: In a winner takes all FFA, which player wins ...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

Baker wrote:
[...] the polls at this forum support 5 options only.

Five is the default number of options for phpBB. I wasn't even going to leave the polls turned on, let alone worry about the number of options.

How many options do you think is appropriate, Baker?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:02 pm 

10 would be a better number. IMHO leaving the polls option active would make the forum more interesting. Am I correct in assuming that everyone has the ability to create a poll with a post?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

Baker wrote:
10 would be a better number.

I've changed the limit to 10.

Baker wrote:
Am I correct in assuming that everyone has the ability to create a poll with a post?

Registered members can create polls in the Rune Quake Developers Discussion and Rune Quake Pub forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 12:00 am 

Apparently you have to be a registered member to vote in polls too.

I was trying to figure out why I couldn't vote in the poll and then I realized I wasn't logged in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:05 am 

Oh geese now your gonna make me feel obligated to try and win more often. My game has been crap lately. I'm not even gonna vote for me:)

MagnesiuM

Slot for president!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:50 am 
Site Admin

Baker wrote:
Apparently you have to be a registered member to vote in polls too.

Stop guessing and just read the bottom of each forum; there's a list of what you can and cannot do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Is there a time reference to the poll? Am I voting on if these players played today or at their prime?

I'm with you Mag, I haven't been able to play more than a couple times a month (average) for the last six months. I think even Baker can beat me now!

:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:13 pm 

Quote:
Is there a time reference to the poll? Am I voting on if these players played today or at their prime?

If they played in the present tense, assuming that they had a couple of days advance notice to practice.

Quote:
I'm with you Mag, I haven't been able to play more than a couple times a month (average) for the last six months. I think even Baker can beat me now!

Hehe, I doubt it. That one game we played last September when I was at my prime I tried to bring you down but I couldn't seal the deal (neck and neck at 33 frags, but then you pulled away and I lost 50-39). And at that time I am sure that you were NOT at your prime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:39 pm 

Speaking of the new limit on polls, if I had it to do over again I probably would have added some or all of these players:

1. Gohan. When Dolemite talked me back into playing Quake in early 2002, I spotted Gohan on Wido. I was anonymous rehabbing HPB and he asked if I wanted to play him. I didn't want to but eventually he talked me into it. After being slaughtered 12-0 I yielded. I felt very bad about my game.

Then Hideo and several other strong players appeared on the server and I watched in observer mode as he kicked all of their asses simulteneously. It was like 5 players against Gohan ... 5 strong Quakers ... and he leveled them all.

I didn't feel so bad that my first game back playing Quake that Gohan had owned me so badly. He beat those guys very, very badly. He had like 50+ frags and none of the rest of them had as many as 15 frags.

2. Koopa. Man, I always wanted to play him as LPB and when he started playing some games again late last summer, I thought I might be able to take him out because he hadn't Quaked in a while and because I was an LPB. But when he came back he was as powerful as ever and inevitably I found more pleasure just watching him give beatings to players that don't normally receive beatings.

3. Ryu. Just so fast.

4. Fossil. Sometimes I have seen Fossil play far, far above his normal rate of play and his normal rate of play on a good day is enough to run with about anyone.

5. Lefty.

6. Magnetar.

7. Lightning Jack.

8. Slot Zero. Speaking of this, it is about time Slot fessed up to being Dr. Remulak and Waldorf and a few other mystery players from last summer that beat everyone playing. I know it was you when Yugo tipped me off after you left a game and said to me ....

E 175 (me): I'm glad that guy is gone.
KeyLimePie (yugo): Strange
E 175: what?
KeyLimePie: His IP is an invalid IP address

9. Hideo ... I have often wondered how War would play if he had low ping.

I'm sure there are some very formidable Quakers that didn't come to mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

I've always admired Ryu. He's one smart player. If I wasn't a potential contestant, my chips would be on him.

I need more than a couple days! How about a couple of months?

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:50 pm 

Ok had a post changed it. But.. It would be nice to see you two in a tourney. Would you participate in it if there is one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:21 pm 

I've read that RQA that a tournament is trying to be organized where a bunch of 1 on 1's occur. Toyo has a post about how RQ is free for all game and I second that opinion, if this is what you are referring to, Pita.

If IEEE and whoever is trying to organize the game change it to a FFA and get the best of the best together in a single game, I would pay $$$$ to see that.

I've made several screenshots of beating many of the players above, but I don't delude myself ... the guys listed above are A or A+ or A++ players and I'm an A-. I am not the best of the best, so I shouldn't be in such a theoretical game.

I hope such a game happens, I would love to watch it.

Post subject: tourny
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:55 pm 

I feel FFA's will exclude the hpb rqa player from even entering the tournament. Even with an all hpb FFA, it would be an exercise in frustration, a full server of hpbs is just mindless, laggy play. I totally agree that FFA is the best way to play RQA, its just unfair for the dial up player. 1on1's with or without hpb/lpb divisions, in my mind, would the fairest to the dial up player, just trying to look out for the hpb's. :D

Post subject: Qwakerz
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:15 pm 

Hi there! Been a while, but I'm still quaking a little, don't have much time anymore but I try...

Ive probably played with every runequake player at least once, and it's hard to say who is the "Real #1".

But if I had to choose, it would be somewhere in between [ Gohan, Wulf, Slot Zero, War, Smooth ]

I haven't beaten Gohan that much, his shaft is just unreal. Wulf had everything mastered... Movement, aim, hooking, a tough oppenent. Slot Zero is Slot Zero hehe, good aim, good gameplay, good games. War, the 300 ping wonder, how does he do it? :) Smooth is sm00th. Quiet, effecient, smart.

Q1 4 Life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:38 pm 

Um from the selected players the only one there that is a real challenge would be smooth..I have played him many times in DM and he's pretty damn good...As far as Toyo he's a excellent RQ player but has never beat me once in a DM that when had several times..Magnesium is not that good he's just lucky...The Yugo guy not real sure all i know about him is if you challenge him he wants to take the match to IHOC lag server...

As far as the best player that i ever seen would have to go to Slot Zero hands down his game play use to be incredible and i will always remember it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:24 pm 

Hey Chad! Wanna 1on1? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:22 pm 

I would but i nolonger play Quake if you see me on there it's very rare anymore...If you would like to join me at my new game UT2K3 I will play you... :twisted:

Post subject: h3h3h3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:10 pm 

Hehe, I can't run UT2K3.. Can't do much with an 8mb vid card.

And be careful now, cK-fatal1ty plays UT2K3. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:52 pm 

1. tie between Gohan and War (Hideo, you newbies!) and Wulf. If all three played on a lan, War would slaughter them.

2. TIE - Ryu/Speed

3. TIE Quazy/Smooth

4. Pierre-bot

5. Weird

6. Slot

I was the only witness to the match between #5 and #7 so i know who would win

7. Toyo

If I left anybody out, too damn bad. I left myself out too.

Hi Weirdo, I got ut2003. But I mostly play Bombing-Run. Insta-gib has done wonders for my quake aim.

-=-=-=-=-

Sorry, left out Smooth

Last edited by Chuck on Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.