Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NegativeConsequences on QuakeCommunity from Trujen's/XQuake?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:14 pm 

"Background for anyone not familiar"

Code:
Trujen is the XQuake developer and refused to release his source code.  Under the IDSoftware Open Source agreement, developers who distribute derivatives from the Quake Source Code are required to provide the source upon request; most developers not only provide the code upon request but publish their source on the 'net.

To make a long story short, the XQuake developer refused to release his source code, and PlanetQuake canned his site.

Just wondering what the consequences of this type of behavior is? Let me explain why ...

Carmack made the Quake source public available with pretty much the single condition that all derivatives must release their source code. Not too hard, huh?

The vast majority of developers DO comply with that agreement. I can name only 2 or 3 that don't comply, I'm sure there are few more out there.

Anyway, the Return to Castle Wolfenstein (RTCW) based game, Enemy Territory, is a free download. Sometimes I think about rounding up a petition to see if Carmack would make Quake 1 free.

But I wonder what the answer would be? One benefit for IDSoftware is the enormous amount of ideas and coding that can be used to mold future IDSoftware games. Would Carmack think something like , "Yeah Quake 1 is no threat to out revenue stream and it wouldn't hurt to make the Pak files, thus the registered version which CAN run mods (the shareware version CANNOT run mods) .. I'll go ahead and make it free" or would Carmack think "No, we released the Quake source and some developers don't even honor the simple agreement. If the developer community runs out of players because no one sells Quake 1 new, their fault that they can't honor simple agreements.

I wonder this because I noticed a Trujen post on another site:

Link: Some Euro Quake Board

Trujen 05/27/2003 wrote:
Trujen,

Hi-ya Guys :W

I figured same as you MZ. The problem must be a result of a corrupted download. I've downloaded the thing like 3 times now and I always get the same error.

Progress has been rather slow lately due to negotiations with the maker of the ProQuake. I think all he needs is to hear from you guys, the people that play Quake, that having the ProQuake security module in the PX Engine would be a really cool idea.

It was always meant that the source code for the PX project to eventually be released. I promised it would be from the beginning once I had built a cheat-free engine for it. ProQuake has already successfully built and released a stable and working security system. Since it requires a client/server relationship it would be fitting for ProQuake and the PX Engine to both exist under the same umbrella, so to speak.

In my last email to JP, I told him to post on his website that he will agree to make the PX Engine cheat-free on the contingency that I publicly release the source code. As he is still working slowly towards that aim, I think he just needs to hear from you Quake Players

I laughed when I read that part I bolded, as if the John Grossman the ProQuake Developer is the guy that the IDSoftware agreement is with.

If Trujen is waiting to honor his agreement with IDSoftware until Grossman does what Trujen wants, he's got a long wait in store. First, as far as I can tell, Grossman isn't spending much time thinking about Quake lately and since it's been a full year since a ProQuake version was released, well.

Whatever Trujen is thinking, it looks like he sacrificed "it all" for nothing. He couldn't honor an agreement that had nothing to do with JPG, got egg on his face with the parts of the Quake community that frown on the behavior and now he's letting JPG dictate whether he ever gets an respectability back by not doing the "right thing" unless someone else that isn't EVEN a party to "the IDSoftware deal", JPG, does what he wants and that guy has been actively coding Quake stuff since April or May (several months) as far as I can tell.

I just hope that this sort of behavior doesn't screw us all. I'd like to see Quake become free because it isn't for sale new anywhere on the entire Internet and that will take it's toll. But the Trujen type of behavior might make Carmack unwilling to make Quake 1 like Enemy Territory is.

http://www.GameStatus.Net stats, http://www.GameAholic.Net Q1 servers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:38 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:47 am 
Site Admin

The reason he doesn't release the source is because it's actually a trojen, hence the name "Trujen". Use that program at your own risk! **VIRUS ALERT** E-mail this to about 10 of your friends (if applicable).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:50 pm 

Its good for flooding your favorite server!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:53 pm 

The whole Trujen XQuake fiasco is kind of old news now. It did unfortunately end very badly. The argument between Trujen and John Grossman got more and more heated until both parties refused to cooperate with each other. XQuake disappeared of the Internet (probably for violations of the GPL licence), and nothing was heard from Trujen for a while.

Shame, because XQuake was a very popular online client with a lot of fans.

Trujen is about again, but I'm not sure what he is working on. XQuake can be found tucked away on a couple Quake site.