Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:35 pm 

>>Oh, IEEE. Just be happy and have fun.

But I am, but like I said if you're going to give one person credit you should give them all. Tho this was drawn out needlessly by Slot and Painkiller.

You should also take your own advice, Baker, refering to other recent events.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:48 pm 

IEEE, you need to create a Vulcan Mind Meld Rune so you can have Mr. Spock dislodge the mysterious entity that is controlling your mind. :P

http://www.GameStatus.Net stats, http://www.GameAholic.Net Q1 servers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:53 pm 

The mysterious entity that is controlling my mind is actually some fictional mindset some people have applied to me, like a stereotype. I just like to make them think that they're correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
Tho this was drawn out needlessly by Slot and Painkiller.

What did I do wrong, IEEE? I told you that I would credit everyone in due time, but you never responded to that.

I told you that I couldn't credit any _one_ person in particular because in your source code there is no mention to anybody about credit.

Despite all of this, I still concede and give you credit on the news. What more can I do? I even offered to have you write your own news, so you that you don't feel left out.

I've gone out of my way to help you, IEEE, but all I get in return is a negative attitude.

If you had a problem with this, you should have e-mailed me. I have always been receptive to you and your questions.

The next move is up to you IEEE, I've done all I could do.

You're welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:22 pm 

I'm not trying to be or feeling negative, but this should have been alot simpler and shorter than it turned out to be. E-mail is a media I don't use that much, my order of preference is ICQ/AIM, message board, e-mail. Sometimes I'll do a private message if I remember it's there.

And PK's claims that I stole ideas was rather distrubing to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
but this should have been alot simpler and shorter than it turned out to be.

You know what, you act as if I have to do this. I don't. Instead of a thanks, you criticize on how it should have been handled. If you have a problem with the way I do things, feel free to e-mail me, but I'm done talking about it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:12 am 
deadzone.runecentral.com

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
Tho this was drawn out needlessly by Slot and Painkiller.

If I'm not mistaken, you were the one who started this thread. I merely responded to Baker with a "Hey! I created the Touch of Death rune too!" when he stated he had no idea I had created the Thor rune. You jumped on that like white on rice, so who drew this out needlessly?

So by your reasoning, Slot should give you credit for any of your code that's used BUT both Slot and I should receive zero credit (by deleting any mention of our names both in your source code and on other Quake message boards).

I'm a bit confused by your logic, IEEE. Perhaps you'd care to enlighten me?

---
PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:19 am 
deadzone.runecentral.com

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
And PK's claims that I stole ideas was rather distrubing to me.

You wanna argue with fact now? Puhlease!

I'll type slowly so even you can understand. The Rune of Darkness and the Sonar rune are both from a QW mod written in 1998. The web site where I obtained the code listed "Singe" as the creator of the runes. Runes I've created were listed with you being the author on your message board and my name stripped out of the comment section in the code itself.

Do I detect a trend here? You bet I do. So go ahead and be disturbed, if you have any conscience at all, you should be!

---
PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:30 am 
deadzone.runecentral.com

Here's a quick quiz, IEEE. Who created and coded the Tornado rune?

---
PK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:13 am 

Hmmm, I never knew any of this. IEEE, you need to select an avatar by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:18 am 

IEEE, I brought donuts, help yourself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:08 am 

I see someone has got some personal feelings they've been bottling up for a long time. The tornado as a rune was created by Painkiller, but the tornado in concept wasn't created by any of us judging by the original code, it looks like you found it elsewhere and turned it into a rune.

I did revamp the code, I made the model stand up instead of lay down, I made it move up and dart all over the place instead of just sitting in one spot. I reduced some of the code to make it smaller. I made it so it would actually speed up instead of starting a full speed.

When you see things like this "//IEEE: Turn it up so it looks more like a tornado", that's a comment, not a claim of ownership.

Please point me at the location where it says I created it? I've always been careful to give the proper idea and coder creators credit, but in this case we were not the only parties involved since the Tornado was created by someone else.

Quote:
I'll type slowly so even you can understand. The Rune of Darkness and the Sonar rune are both from a QW mod written in 1998. The web site where I obtained the code listed "Singe" as the creator of the runes.

Now this subject is extremely moot, this is just a case of 2 rune ideas being created originally by two different people. Singe may have his versions which I'm sure are totally different than mine, while I have my version that are totally different than his, but with the same names.

If you don't think this is possible then how did you come up with a Body Odor rune when I came up with one as well?

Simple logic; everyone but you, PK, is in an extremely limited enviroment where there are no new models and no new sounds. Eventually creative people of similar thought will reach similar ideas.

Quote:
So by your reasoning, Slot should give you credit for any of your code that's used BUT both Slot and I should receive zero credit (by deleting any mention of our names both in your source code and on other Quake message boards).

I'm a bit confused by your logic, IEEE. Perhaps you'd care to enlighten me?

I think this is a whole "who screwed who first" deal.

IEEE, Saleen, Dolemite, Lefty, and the rest work to create a standard map pack so people won't have to always download new stuff, "Screw them".

IEEE offered to code new runes for submission to Rune Quake; DENIED. So I didn't have anywhere to code and show runes.

We start our own servers, decide to give the mod a new name so people don't mistake what we created for normal Rune Quake. Dolemite likes the name "Rune Quake Advanced" just to spite Slot, so it becomes that (That and Dolemite pretty much did everything so fast there was no other option, buying the domain and the hosting).

That was the start of the big divide right there and the birth of a different mod name.

Some key parties never liked it when I would work with PK or Slot, that naturally made it hard on my half because I can be very forgiving about what you guys did to the map project (but with the flaw of bringing up the past). So that always brought up issues of "who's side is IEEE on" and ultimately no one ever trusted me and my choices were always viewed and/or "outranked" sending me flying out the door.

So mostly it was encouraged that I remove all the names of the two disliked ones Slot and PK, but to counter that I also removed my name. So the end result was a pretty much creditless code base.

Dolemite was the one who pointed at what Slot had JUST added in his GPL and noted that this was added just as we were starting to work on a new version, so he saw this as a threat from Slot and this was the trigger that made us remove all the headers. It did say something to the point that we couldn't refer to Slot in any of the documents.

But that's all history, the future can be changed.

Quote:
Runes I've created were listed with you being the author on your message board and my name stripped out of the comment section in the code itself.

I do think you're being unfair and maybe missing a few key bits of information PK. I always tried my best to give you credit where credit was due, but I almost never put names on stuff (except in this version where I give the runes credits to their original mod via a file extension http://www.rqplus.com/html/downloads/rqpv0.5.3.zip, and don't say "You did this just because of this topic!" because I didn't, it's been like that ever since Slot started adding new runes, I put the extensions there so he would know where the runes came from).

And PK, even when I recreated a rune idea by you I gave you credit, remember the FishGun? I even called it Fighting Fish and I still put your name right there in the rune description.

Quote:
else if (type == RN_FISH)
{
d1 = "Turns your rocket launcher into a fish\n";
d2 = "fighting fish launcher\nIdeas based on PK's FishGun";
}

So if you think I would willingly go out and copy rune ideas right under your nose and claim credit for them then you must not think very much of me. Let alone copy Singe's and then claim them as my own, which is not what happened. We just happened to come up with the same ideas by ourselves with no influence from the other.

I could pull up the proof that the idea of Touch of Death was mine, you just ran with the idea. Your board seems to be missing that post, but if I recall you deleted everything on your board once and it must've been around that time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:29 am 

Btw, how many runes did I say you had to give me credit for when you used them in your mod? And how many runes said "created by IEEE 802.11" at the top? Or did you add the fact that I created them to the top of each file?

But then we won't know since you refuse to share your code now, which I respect and I don't hold it against you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:10 pm 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

Is there anyone you have not bumped heads within the last few months?

Get up from your chair, click THIS and let loose. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:08 pm 

>>Is there anyone you have not bumped heads within the last few months?

This appears to be an old unresolved bump, DZ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:26 pm 

All I can say is this, IEEE invested a lot of time and effort adding runes and Dolemite and his cohorts invested a lot of time experimenting with new maps.

I think IEEE has added more runes to the game in the last year than there were runes in RuneQuake before he added them.

Did IEEE think of those ideas or write the code or did he get ideas from somewhere else? I don't know, all I know is that he added a ton of fun new runes.

I don't think 75% of players ever read the source code or even know any mod history and most of them don't care either.

Just a couple of points to keep this to perspective. :P In a way, IEEE, this is a lot of arguing about things that no one else in the entire universe cares about or will ever read. :wink: You added a lot of runes to the game and "you dun good" :lol:

Slot, in the meantime has been debugging and making the standard code better. I'd like to see both rolled up into one, honestly.

Some of the RuneQuake features did not successfully make it into RuneQuake Plus and some of the bugs that were fixed in RuneQuake are in RuneQuake Plus.

Examples, if you get the scrag rune in water you can drown in the air and the WeaponX command never found it's way in RuneQuake Plus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:55 pm 

In their actions I see myself quickly being snuffed out the history, and I for one, don't like it.

"Only we can leave a mark! Huff puff puff! Thank you for doing the hard work, now we'll reap what you created."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:13 pm 

Quote:
Did IEEE think of those ideas or write the code or did he get ideas from somewhere else?

I could stand at heaven's gates holding 2000 bibles and say with a megaphone "I did not get these ideas from Singe's QW mod".

This is something PK has cooked up for some reason and believe me because of this he is never getting another rune by request from me ever again or any modified and/or fixed up runes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:45 pm 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

Quote:
In their actions I see myself quickly being snuffed out the history, and I for one, don't like it.

Well I included all the contributors of the mod I could come up with in the HEADER of my forum (http://www.diazoild.com/phpBB2/index.php). Everyone is listed equally, which probably isn't fair to Slot since he has spent so much time on the mod but he hasn't complained.

Contributors listed: Singe, Rod, Knytehawkk, Slot, Ben, PK, IEEE. If I've left someone out let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:

You talk a lot of shit, but you provide no facts.

What actions did I do that lead you to believe you are being snuffed out of history?

Now, what actions have you done that lead me to believe I was being snuffed out out history:

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
IEEE offered to code new runes for submission to Rune Quake; DENIED. So I didn't have anywhere to code and show runes.

You act as if it is my responsiblity to provide a medium for you to develop your ideas. It is not. A lot of people submitted ideas that I did not use, get over it.

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
We start our own servers, decide to give the mod a new name so people don't mistake what we created for normal Rune Quake. Dolemite likes the name "Rune Quake Advanced" just to spite Slot, so it becomes that (That and Dolemite pretty much did everything so fast there was no other option, buying the domain and the hosting).

And this doesn't bother you, right? I mean, it's not you who came up with the idea to "spite Slot", just as long as it gets done?

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
That was the start of the big divide right there and the birth of a different mod name.

A divide which didn't have to happen. I was more than willing to help back then, just as I am now. It is possible for people to work on different branches of the same project and get along. Just look at the relationship that PainKiller and I have spawned. He too had his own ideas, started his own server, added his own changes, added a name to his mod, but did he try to "spite Slot"? No, he has respect. He understands that each of us can have our own ideas and manage to get along.

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
Some key parties never liked it when I would work with PK or Slot, that naturally made it hard on my half because I can be very forgiving about what you guys did to the map project (but with the flaw of bringing up the past).

That didn't stop you though, right? You went right along doing what others told you do, even though you knew it wasn't the right thing to do. You wanted to make me pay for not using your changes.

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
So that always brought up issues of "who's side is IEEE on" and ultimately no one ever trusted me and my choices were always viewed and/or "outranked" sending me flying out the door.

I for one don't trust you. Can you blame me? You conspired with a group of people to wipe me out of existence to my own project.

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
So mostly it was encouraged that I remove all the names of the two disliked ones Slot and PK, but to counter that I also removed my name. So the end result was a pretty much creditless code base.

But it's OK to fuck someone when you're encouraged to do this, right? I mean, who cares about Slot and PK, right?

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
Dolemite was the one who pointed at what Slot had JUST added in his GPL and noted that this was added just as we were starting to work on a new version, so he saw this as a threat from Slot and this was the trigger that made us remove all the headers.

How ridiculous. The Copying file always contained information that the source code was released under the GPL. I took it one step further by given credit to all of the authors, Singe, Roderick, Jared, so that in the future they would always be remembered as contributors to the mod.

But what did you do? I'm sorry, I mean, what were you encouraged to do? That's right, you removed all of the credits. "Fuck them!", right-- I mean you were encouraged. It's not like you had any say, right?

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
It did say something to the point that we couldn't refer to Slot in any of the documents.

Keep telling yourself this lie. If you can't understand the GPL license, you shouldn't have been working on the code.

Mr Wi-Fi wrote:
But that's all history, the future can be changed.

Ahh, so I should just forget about the fact that you conspired against me to "snuff me out of history"?

Well guess what, that is exactly what I have been doing. This type of nonesense bullshit has been going on for far to long for me to get caught up in it. Unlike you, I do not disrepect the GPL. If I use your code or concept, I credit the source. And I am not obligated to credit anyone on the news section. As long as I do it my source code, I've done all that I'm legally required to do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next