It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinking Out Loud / Questions / Impossible Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:50 pm 

Random Stuff, some are thoughts, nothing too important:

I. I can't remember:

Quote:
At the Hating CTF server:
1. What did you get on spawn. Seemed like 50 armor. Ammo?
2. Player with flag moved half speed? Right?
3. Runes were 2x DMG, 1/2 DMG, Haste, Regen?

4. What were different ways to score?

a. Capture the flag, but how many points?
b. Recover the flag, how many points?
c. Frag flag holder, points?
d. Frag some player, points?
e. Defend flag holder, points? How was this determined? Was this really an important element of the game?

5. Items spawned randomly with extra stuff at bases?

II. Something that would be weird:

Quote:
Speed Runner mode? Players take turns running from start to end of levels (presents a problem as some levels have no exit). Would need on-screen clock. Some sort of out-of-time method so a game ruiner didn't hide. Checkpoints? Scoring system?

Or maybe players don't take turns. It's just a race. Each round all players start at "start".

Just thinking out loud (those SDA type guys seem to like seeing how fast going start to finish.) Or maybe it's like slide with a 5 minute time limit.

III. Team Mode: I'll have to see what team-stats does (can't remember, last time i used it was Marlinspike). Trinicom has a small on-screen team-score indicator to make one aware of the team scores at all times. Maybe team-stats should be retired as a command in favor of a discrete on-screen indicator to increase the intensity.

IV. Team colors. I remember players used to be able to pick shirt color. Now you can't really tell which team members are who. Not really a big deal. Was the color 13/4 and 4/13 thing an unfixable problem or was it just really complicated codewise to allow custom shirt colors without someone exploiting it somehow (colors 14 and 15 are blue too, in addition to 13)?

V. Is there a way to make it obvious who the winner of a team game is when seeing the Rankings screen (which doesn't have totals and probably can't be augmented to show additional text). It can be hard to tell if red or blue won. (Maybe make all the losing players white?)

VI. Even without any sort of bonus or reward (bad idea), it would be cool to have console text when a player frags 5 or greater players in a row without being fragged. Particularly in team play where this can be very hard.

VII. That "show who uses ProQuake" admin feature is intriguing. Is there a reason why joe-anyone playing can't be privy to this information? If not, it would be cool to somehow allow average players to know. (And maybe someone not using ProQuake ought to get some Quake text making them aware of ProQuake's existence with a URL when they connect to the server. So hard to educate players.)

VIII. RQ beautification. One thing Mr. Wifi did was to strategically use different color text here and there and somehow it made it look slick. A couple of other servers out there do things here and there. RQ is mostly plain white text like when Singe made it.

IX. Review commands. I think RQ has a few too many commands (weapons-toggles, weapons-toggles-toggle, hehe) and not quite enough standardization (although all of the recent additions and features seem to offer a high level of cohesiveness). There are far more commands than keys to bind -- or at least it seems like it. I'm going to look through some stuff.

X. Quake 1 needs a config maker (web page based) . I am working on one. It needs to work across commonly played servers, address important issues that vary from computer to computer/client to client/Win to GL, be easy to use, have in-board help via scripts during gameplay and have rebind capability and some sort of capability for custom Quake names (and ability to switch) and quick text and team-binds. Won't be perfect; should address most needs of most players.

http://www.GameStatus.Net stats, http://www.GameAholic.Net Q1 servers

Last edited by Baker on Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Thinking Out Loud / Questions / Impossible Thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:22 pm 

Baker wrote:
Quote:
Speed Runner mode? Players take turns running from start to end of levels (presents a problem as some levels have no exit). Would need on-screen clock. Some sort of out-of-time method so a game ruiner didn't hide. Checkpoints? Scoring system?

Or maybe players don't take turns. It's just a race. Each round all players start at "start".

Just thinking out loud (those SDA type guys seem to like seeing how fast going start to finish.) Or maybe it's like slide with a 5 minute time limit.

Turns out this probably wouldn't be so hard.

Just add +1 frag for going thru the exit teleporter and have the exit teleporter take you back to start. Maybe +2 points for being the first to make it to the exit teleporter on any given map. Ability to damage others or self would need to be turned off; dead players due to accidents (lava, water, telefragged) would have to respawn at start. Plus an on-screen timer for how long it's been since you respawned. Even DM levels have teleporters that could be designated as "Exits" for speedrunner purposes.

http://www.GameStatus.Net stats, http://www.GameAholic.Net Q1 servers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:41 pm 

I remember when Chuck added the Air Gun to Widomaker. It was a damageless way to RJ and you could use it to blow Zen monks (therefore they were moving).

I stumbled upon code for a ton of Quake-C weapons (probably common knowledge among QuakeC coders, but who knows):

http://idgames.gameaholic.com/idgames/quakec/weapons/

A couple of them sounded interesting. Landmines, some sort of proximity bomb,

http://idgames.gameaholic.com/idgames/q ... ouncer.txt
http://idgames.gameaholic.com/idgames/q ... _mines.txt