Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Past/Present/Future of Quake
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:47 am 

For me, the good old days of Quake were consistently losing well with my 250 ping on Marlinspike against Toyo_Mr2, WeirdQ, Bro, Slot Zero, Dr. Diode and occasionally getting camped-killed by Can of Fodder and Ole Hog Jowl.

But, subsequently I ended up with good ole days 2.0 (battles against Urdead, Yugo2Heck), 3.0 (TLTQ/Widomaker/IHOC and eSx) and 4.0 (Yellow No. 5, Mindz, Hydro, Bam, Funkify, Tia and co.)

I guess it pays to quit Quake for extended periods of time and come back and be stunned by how great it is.

Quake has to overall the most mismanaged game in the history of games.

Although a few -- very few -- sites like this one are well organized and stable (and a few Quakeworld sites ... but how the hell can the mega-resource Quakeworld.nu go down for several months? Sheesh), most of Quake is poorly organized.

So poorly organized, you can't even find anything. Games like ancient Doom II whoops Quake's ass in organization (and players), despite having a lot less to offer.

For me, the early days of Quake will always be Marlinspike and messing around at the Hating and getting banned @ DarkZone for grapple killing the admin, but a few months back I discovered awareness of a lot of other stuff in Quake.

There are tons of old mods and source codes. That wasn't news to me. But I thought they would mostly be obsolete stuff. Strange enough to me, there are a lot of REALLY old maps/mods and that are excellent.

The past of Quake means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. It feels strange trying out an excellent non-ID single player map and then realizing it is almost 10 years old.

There are tons of Quake maps being made every month.

I ended up doing an IMDB.com search on the movie King Kong and when I saw the 1933 and realized that movie King Kong is 73 years old, I realized that Quake is going to be around a long, long, long time.

200 years from now, gamers are still going to know what Quake was. Since it is open source, I would be shocked if within the next 5 years it doesn't get a major overhaul similar to the disbelief people experienced seeing what FuhQuake could do a couple of years back.

No theme to this post. Just some thinking.

Post subject: On that thought
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:20 am 

I posted a reply to a message the WULF started, atleast I think that is who it was. I had about the same comments that you have. Check it out, see what you think. Quake is a LEGEND and always will be. It has been called a LEGEND by may Mags. and Technology providers. Quake is the basis for testing an ISP for stability and for speed. I owned twin ISP's and Ran them, the ground rules for it working correctly were simple, if Quake didn't work, then we SUCKED! So we made sure Quake worked, and once we did that we never had another complaint about speed. Hmmm, imagine that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:25 am 
zop.runequake.com

Quake 3 source was just released. I wonder if anyone is making a q1 client that uses q3's engine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:38 am 

Zop wrote:
Quake 3 source was just released. I wonder if anyone is making a q1 client that uses q3's engine...

Who knows since there a ton of different engine developers but the Q3 source will certainly be used to upgrade Q1's capabilities.

I think Q1 is in most ways superior to Q3 gameplay wise; it is mostly the graphics and the maps that make Q3 what is it (and Sarge, heh).

Some of the engines had already added Quake 3 map and model support and other miscellaneous things.

Eventually Quake 1 will run Q3 maps (my understanding is the one engine that I know runs Q3 maps -- they don't color correctly) and have the ability to use Q3 models (maybe some have this already).

What is strange is that since maps/mods are easy to develop for Q1 and since Q3 only had multiplayer, in the long term after Q1 engines are upgraded, Q3 will be probably be borged.

Other thought: why does Quake II (which I think I played an hour and 5 minutes grand total before not liking it) seem like the red headed step child of Quake?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:40 am 

Yeah, I remember those good ol days, back when WierdQ would constantly bot, and then we he got officially caught on IHOC. LOL! Nice battles though eh Baker? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:53 am 

Hey there Urdead, how have you been? Nice to see you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:57 pm 

Hey dole! Nice to see you as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:25 pm 

urdead wrote:
Yeah, I remember those good ol days, back when WierdQ would constantly bot, and then we he got officially caught on IHOC. LOL! Nice battles though eh Baker? :D

They wera a great deal of fun, but it seems like at some point you got more into complaining than playing Quake.

Complaining about campers on servers with spawn shields and throwing the cheat accusations around when you can find out "for real" isn't cool.

And it's as corrosive to others fun -- or even more so -- than the some fucknut bringing an obvious bot on a server for 5 minutes before getting booted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:40 am 

Well OK, now that we're on the criticism bandwagon, I'm not the only one who complained. LOL! And yes there were a lot of cheaters and sorry you couldn't see a cheat if it slapped you in the face.

And yes the camping was ruining the game and now you see the fate of Quake; all that is left is the campers like ur girl mysteri (another LOOSER). At least I complained about legitimate concerns. Admins and wanna be developers failed Quake.

Today I run a gaming server, and you better believe there is no spawn camping whatsoever, and our server is one of the most popular and we get compliments for keeping the action lively, fair, cheatfree and free of vulgarity and unruly types.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:06 pm 

urdead wrote:
Today I run a gaming server, and you better believe there is no spawn camping whatsoever

What kind of puss plays on a server WITH SPAWN SHIELDS and still bitches about camping?

Quote:
And yes the camping was ruining the game and now you see the fate of Quake; all that is left is the campers like ur girl mysteri (another LOOSER).

Nice spelling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:08 am 

You really have no clue do you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:02 pm 

Urdead wrote:

all that is left is the campers like ur girl mysteri (another LOOSER).

At least I didn't cheat like you did Urdead.... or when a HPB comes on to play with me, and now that I am on cable (LPB), at least I'll go into handicap mode on IHOC or at Shmack just use the machine gun. You on the other hand have just fragged HPB people off the servers, then post that you give them a break to look good to others. I know because I was one of those HPB you would beat 50 to 3 etc. And I know you are going to come back with "it's because you camped"... BS, you are just in it to win, and win as big as you can, never mind having fun. You came to Shmack where camping is allowed and delcared it a non-campimg server with comments in a game like "camping? not on my watch". You are the biggest LOOSER (as you spell it) in any game you play, maybe not in score, but as a person in general because of your mega-ego and big mouth. Go play on your game server, it's the only place that makes you feel like the God you want to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:46 pm 

"TIGHTEN" that shit up Urdead and quit calling everyone a" LOOSER"!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:00 pm 
zop.runequake.com

This is not the best place for this discussion.

Please post your flames in:

TLTQ Board Index\Turd Box

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:30 am 

wow,glad I stopped reading once Baker made a valid / accurate point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:36 am 

damn,I read it all anyway and now my headache has doubled..

urdead,go back to whatever game it is you crawled out of,Quake doesnt need you,or your "holier than thou" beliefs,and I say this because eveyone has an opinion,but when it comes to you,only your opinion is ever right,and everyone else's opinion,hah...this is so pointless,just fucking go away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:22 pm 

Baker wrote:
What is strange is that since maps/mods are easy to develop for Q1 and since Q3 only had multiplayer, in the long term after Q1 engines are upgraded, Q3 will be probably be borged.

Just a quick nitpick. Q3 has both single and multiplayer out of the box. One of it's selling points was the much improved AI bots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:22 pm 

A "single player version" of multiplayer, which is what bots are, isn't quite the same as having the ability to make single player maps and episodes.

I myself knew relatively little about this until recently being much more of a multiplayer guy.

After trying Insomnia, Castle of Koohoo, Once Upon Atrocity, the Coagula maps, A Desert Dusk, Lunar SP1, Rubicon and some of the other high quality single player maps/mods, I understand why there are so many active map makers out there and everyone else at Func_Messageboard.

FitzQuake is an engine geared towards map making and there are actually quite a few visitors here from the map making community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:33 am 

LOL! Well I'm glad at least the drug addict losers agree with Baker, I feel a whole lot better now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:33 pm 

The Noid! He's back and this time he's not just about pizzas anymore!