Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Quake MOD?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:41 am 
quake.intertex.net

Ok, now this might not be the most appropriate place to ask this...

but I was thinking of making a new quake mod. (Please dont start with the flames)
But, since runequake pulls in alot of new players and is enjoyed by the masses throughout the years... Im catering to the folks who like runequake but need more. And instead of watching people leave quake 1, for that "more", what would this new mod bring??

a.> simple configuration
b.> simple logic but challenging goals
c.> ballanced gameplay, (some1 playing quake for 10 years cant "smear" some1 playing this new mod after 1 month)
d.> longevity, the "come-back factor.... the never ending story, u cant get enough

im thinking something akin to 2 teams dm like with limited weapons and a few objectives...
now this could be a user-input mod based on runequake? or something that "ya know, i wish quake1 had ..."

well just asking for suggestions.. (cause otherwise ill just make a mod that no one will play :/ )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:23 am 

These are my intangible raw thoughts ... I reserve the right to be VERY wrong.

1) RuneQuake perseveres and is very popular because it is the sole mod that really does a good job at entertaining the newbie.

Other mods, newbies gets slaughtered. Well, they get slaughtered at RuneQuake too but seem to enjoy it more.

2) This isn't so much a mod question, but why is it that whatever client/server code that allows Quakeworld map/model/sounds downloads can't be integrated into ProQuake/JoeQuake/QRack/FitzQuake.

(And I am mentioning multiple engines because I don't trust the DarkPlaces-style development model where a lot of single player games, for example, can only be run in DarkPlaces and I personally think this is the achilles heel of ProQuake cheat-free, although I know it was the only available option to the author at the time.)

I mean, without this, the stuff that can be run on a server is very limited. One problem Quake suffers from due to this is redundancy. Same maps 24/7 = yawn.

No abilities to have custom weapons or player models or even sounds.

I don't have a lot of mods ideas, but I know that being able to have non-skill-based EZ kills is the thing that sets RuneQuake apart from anything else.

In my personal opinion, the primary weakness of Quakeworld DM is that the player base is so elite and the engines are so Linux-deep in cvars that I think it has a deterring effect on new players (hence my efforts with EZ Installers and the JoeQuake Launcher which does have QRack support as well). What newbie wants super-owned? And since every new player = newbie, well, you've stunted future growth.

These are just my thoughts on things, I reserve the right to be wrong

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:49 am 

Thoughts 2.0 - Again, I reserve the right to be wrong ...

1. Something that makes it a little easier for newbies to survive.

Spawn shields? Can't think of anything good here, admittedly.

2. Something that makes it a little easier for newbies to get frags.

Make some sort of hard to obtain weapon or powerup that shoots seeker projectiles? IEEE made a powerup called the Homing Key in RQP that made projectiles find you for 30 seconds (it's on the START map in the rafters in skill selection area RQP QuakeC 0.5.4 source). Cluster grenades and bombs?

Kamikazee is a newbie favorite. So is the BFG. Experienced players are great at avoiding those in most circumstances so these are not nearly as lethal as they sound.

3. Some coolness.

Players like deathspots and setting each other on fire. There are other options.

4. Strategic aspect

Other FPS games (Half-Life, Counter Strike, Team Fortress) allow setting of tripwire and bombs and explosives. In RuneQuake, the only equivalent is the Zombie Camper.

Quake doesn't have a mod that does that. The DM+ mod did that with tripwires and while I don't have a link to the Junker Mod/DM+ mod or whatever it is called, IEEE turned that into a tripwire rune and that's in the above RQP source link.

Is it possible to setup forcefields like the opening QuakeC forcefield in the StarShip map/mod. (QuakeC forcefield is from Scourge source link here)

Forcefield Pic - looks like Rune of Shielding but not around a player

One possible idea for a game that would appeal to both RQ and CTF players would be a game that focused on alt-weapons and powerups, in addition to the standard arsenal allowing some strategic "traps". And to keep newbies happy, you might throw in a couple of lithium hooks.

Maybe some kind of defend your fort kind of game where each team has a base to protect and if something is destroyed at the base, like your Team Scrag statue (heh), you lose and the next round starts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:59 pm 
quake.intertex.net

I guess what I'm thinking of is a team-based runequake mod.. compared to the FFA style of the norm. Which would require certain structural differences:

a.> New runes based on gametype
- Defensive powers
- Offensive powers
- Tech/Health powers

limited number of runes spawned on the map based on number of players
and/or size of the map

b.> Limited weapon inventory.
You cant carry 100 rockets, 200 nails, 100 cell batteries, 100 shells...
Two hands, two weapons, one rune,( and one axe ;P)

c.> Strategic team based objectives.

:)

Yes the autodownload feature would be nice, but that would require appending to the server protocol. I'll have to look at the QW source to see how much it can be adapted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:36 am 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

The exiting mod does have teamplay capabilities... I believe you are even safe from your own team mates runes, traps, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:28 am 

Quote:
Yes the autodownload feature would be nice, but that would require appending to the server protocol. I'll have to look at the QW source to see how much it can be adapted.

Sput, what if it were implemented ANOTHER WAY. In fact, in my opinion a better way.

In JoeQuake, if you open a .dz demo, it invokes dzip.exe to extract the file.

So ...

1. Server tells the client what map. QuakeC sends a command "MAPSOURCE ftp://ftp.runecentral.com/quake/maps" that modified clients understand to be where they can get the map if they don't have it.

2. Client says "hey, I don't have that map".

3. Modified client recognizes MAPSOURCE command and downloads the file from the indicated repository ftp://ftp.runecentral.com/quake/maps/aerowalk.zip as indicated by MAPSOURCE command and uses DZIP.EXE to decompress it into quake\id1\maps. Then client reconnects after the install is complete.

3b. Unmodified GLQuake client doesn't know what that command is and just does the usual.

Result: Modified Quakes download and unzip + install maps, unmodified clients do the usual and complain about the missing map.

The method would save server load by having the option of directing to somewhere else to consume bandwidth and also have the advantage of using compression, something QuakeWorld does not utilize to my knowledge.

(I'm using Rune Central's archive as an example. For $5 per year, a static B account at http://www.e-rice.net could hold numerous maps. A Static B account comes with 50 MB and 5 Gig transfer, $15 per year gets 150 MB and 15 GB transfer. Is it reliable? http://www.singed.net is hosted on E-Rice.net and so was TLTQ.com )

C++ API

C++ API; InternetOpenUrl ... uses Winsock; in MSDN library wrote:
HINTERNET InternetOpenUrl(
IN HINTERNET hInternetSession,
IN LPCSTR lpszUrl,
IN LPCSTR lpszHeaders,
IN DWORD dwHeadersLength,
IN DWORD dwFlags,
IN DWORD dwContext
);

-->

DWORD WINAPI ThreadFunc(void *param)
{ int i=(int)param;
HINTERNET hif = InternetOpenUrl(hisess,url.c_str(),NULL,0, _ INTERNET_FLAG_NO_UI|INTERNET_FLAG_NO_CACHE_WRITE|INTERNET_FLAG_PRAGMA_NOCACHE,0);
if (tabort) return 0;
if (hif==0)
{ void *msg; FormatMessage(FORMAT_MESSAGE_ALLOCATE_BUFFER|FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM| _ FORMAT_MESSAGE_IGNORE_INSERTS,NULL,GetLastError(),MAKELANGID(LANG_NEUTRAL,SUBLANG_DEFAULT),(LPTSTR)&msg,0,NULL);
wstring err1((wchar_t*)msg); LocalFree(msg);
wchar_t msg2[1024]; DWORD code,size=1024; InternetGetLastResponseInfo(&code,msg2,&size);
wstring err2(msg2);
terr=L"Couldn't download '"+url+L"' - "+err1+L" - "+err2;
return 0;
}
pos[i]=0; while (true)
{ DWORD red; BOOL res = InternetReadFile(hif,&buf[i][pos[i]],102400-pos[i],&red);
if (tabort) return 0;
if (!res || red==0) break;
pos[i]+=red; if (pos[i]==102400) {terr=L"Exceeded my programming: "+url; pos[i]=102399;}
}
buf[i][pos[i]]=0;
InternetCloseHandle(hif);
if (tabort) return 0;
return 1;
}

Source: http://www.wischik.com/lu/programmer/divoff.zip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:43 am 

Baker wrote:

Forcefield Pic - looks like Rune of Shielding but not around a player

LOL thats funny i was just playing Starship yesterday with Qrack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:34 am 

nuthin like good ole teamplay.i really like that idea and i say go 4 it.i also like the noob ideas because i've been playin for almost a year now and still im a noob in a way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:37 am 

here's another idea.how bout make a server that's just for noob or somethin.i think it should be a teamplay server cause teams help in alot of ways.teamwork,cooperation,and u need to know how to say battle commands like BASE SECURE?AFFERMITIVE! :D