All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do tell me Slot....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:39 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:20 am 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:10 am 

Ben, I took a very quick look at the code.

Here's how the code affects you if you use the name in question:

- If you have the Jack rune, your health is increased by increments of 20 instead of 5.

- If you activate the regen rune while your health is less than the maximum, your health becomes maximum+650 instead of the maximum (and you get a little message saying so).

- If you activate the regen rune, you get to keep it instead of it being deleted automatically.

I would have to look at more than just the code snippet, but it appears that anybody using the special name would benefit from the code modification. And although the name is illegible, it's easy to decipher.

No matter the purpose of the code modification, it's very existence is bad for the Quake community because it fosters mistrust of not only the rune developers but admins and their allies. People already believe that some players benefit from the knowledge of secret client hacks. If the code was used surreptitiously on a server, it's the smoking gun that there are such cheats out there.

toyo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:53 am 

I thought as much, I have the code here if you want to take a look at all of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:13 pm 
I can't read the name. Is this an example of the infamous Painkiller server side cheat-code, or it is another name?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

Turns out the name is [.painkiller.]. Is that from the code you used to work on when you were an admin at Dead Zone, Ben?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:22 pm 

This is correct, I found it in my copy of the source code from sometime last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:21 pm 

Ben wrote:
I thought as much, I have the code here if you want to take a look at all of it?

No, that isn't necessary although you might want to do a search on the name to see if anything else turns up.

On a thread regarding admin cheats, I replied with the following on urdead's message board on 2/8/2003:

"The best way to detect [admin cheats] is via the observer mode yet a modification exists (or existed) at DeadZone which enables players to hide their armor, health and ammo numbers. When I inquired about this, I was told it was developed because observer mode was being abused by people [to give] out information to other players. I'm not accusing the DeadZone admins of cheating, but this modification fuels fire to those who suspect it and therefore does more harm than good."

toyo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:37 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:11 pm 

Painkillers Official? response...

Posted: 7/24/03 4:34 am
Re: Changes ... Opinions?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those of you who are wondering why this thread died so quickly, I removed two of Ben's posts and banned both him and Diazoild before I went to work last night. I did so when he stated he was going to post my source code here in this forum. I'll be glad to discuss any issue, even really old, long dead ones just as long as it's done in a civilized manner, but the second the threats start to fly, the welcome mat is revoked.

You'll almost assuredly see whining and bitching on another message board about me "power tripping" but I've quite simply had enough of their crap. Quake is a hobby to me and it just isn't worth the stress that these drama addicts appear to thrive on.

Now, as for the threats --- Ben stated he was going to begin posting my source code here last night. I had given him the source code last year with the strict agreement that it would never be shared with anyone at anytime. Since both he and Diazoild have little or no regard for anyone's privacy, they were banned. I will not allow anyone to post private, confidential conversations or source code on this message board, period. If someone doesn't have the morals or the decency to respect that, then hit the road cos I don't want anything to do with you.

If you don't believe me, that's fine - Diazoild, URDead, JL and Ben will be only too glad to welcome you into their little corner of their private Quake universe where you and they can whine about my power tripping for another 7 months.

I ask you this, Painkiller, why is it so confidential??

I did not state I was going to post your source code...you made that connection yourself when I posted..."Diazoild thinks we should tell everyone about your cheats" also.....our "little?" corner of the quake world is no where near as private as yours...sorry, we dont hide and talk about people in private.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:49 pm 
QUIT: March 06, 2006

Oh, he's FOS about this privacy thing. He started posting private emails from Slot in that "private" forum early on. That was of course after he removed Slot's access.

It's funny to see the old Deadzone propaganda wheels in action once again. I swear he has a template that he pulls out and runs. Seen it applied to a bunch of players over the years. Usually he's able to single out an individual player, but the last time it involved 4 people. That's a lot of lies to keep in order and when he stresses out, he just bans everyone from the site.

Maybe he's trying to bump Darkzone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:39 pm 

He (Pk) really seems to enjoy antagonizing you guys (DZ,Ben) . Funny that you keep coming back for more, instead of cutting bait and realizing that there is not a gain to continuing to talk to someone who treats you with disrespect.

He lies about you, treats you with disrespect, violates your privacy, bans you for no reason. Furthermore, this isn't like this is something new .. he's done it to you before.

Why do you continue to talk to him? It's the equivalent of him mistreating you and you coming back and saying "More Gruel Please!"

You 2 should take a hint from IEEE, seriously.

(Or become super-assholes and really get under his skin, if so, I suggest talking to Chuck :lol: Or develop UrDead's "I am never ever going to leave you alone" stance)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

This has nothing to do with source code or the development of Rune Quake. This is an attempt to discredit someone who has contributed as much to the Rune Quake community as any other developer.

To play the victim in code you helped develop is pathetic, Ben. Your post is based on hatred, that's it. If you cared so much about the players you would have revealed this code years ago, when it was relevant.

I don't know what PK did to get you so upset recently Ben, but whatever he did, he didn't do it here. Your post doesn't change anything. Those who play on Dead Zone will still play on Dead Zone. The only thing this post accomplishes is how much you hate Painkiller and the lengths you'll go to discredit him.

I'm not disputing the fact that the code exists, but as far as I'm concerned people make mistakes. Some of us realize our mistakes and move on.

This hate filled post is Pub material, so that's where I'm moving it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:56 pm 

How often are players that are caught cheating let back on a server? Once a cheater always a cheater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:07 pm 

I see not one thing unfair about this. We accept that bot demos should be posted to support allegations of cheating. Should some individuals be exempt from this?

>Slot: ... should have revealed this code years ago ...

Good observation.

>Slot: re: Ben ... Painkiller/ discrediting him.

If a respected Player X was known as an asskicking player, but eventually had a falling out with clan-mate Player Y and Player Y revealed Player X cheated, is not Player X still the one that cheated?

Last edited by Baker on Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

Diazoild wrote:
How often are players that are caught cheating let back on a server? Once a cheater always a cheater.

I disagree. There have been plenty of times I've banned someone for using a bot only to let him back in because he realized it was wrong to do so. How else are we going to learn if not from our mistakes?

One thing is for certain though. I would much rather be called a cheater than a rat bastard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

Baker wrote:
I see not one thing unfair about this. We accept that bot demos should be posted to support allegations of cheating. Should some individuals be exempt from this?

Who is being exempt Baker? My point in replying to this thread is that it's much more than just someone revealing cheat-code. It's sole purpose is not to identify the cheater, in the efforts to make gaming better for all, but it is being used to simply discredit Painkiller.

Ben is as much a part of this code as Painkiller is. For all I know, he could have written that code in there himself. I mean he did have access to the code and Painkiller knew about this. So don't get me wrong Baker. It is important to reveal cheating, but let's not play stupid. A person's reputation is at stake. We only know that this is code that Ben worked on and is only now making public. It kind of brings the question of "Why now?" to the surface.

Does Dead Zone contain cheat-code for admins? That remains to be seen. But I do know that both Diazoild and Ben where active admins of Dead Zone when this code was allegedly on the server. What does that tell you about them?

Last edited by Slot Zero on Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:24 pm 

Quote:
. But I do know that both Diazoild and Ben where active admins of Dead Zone when this code was allegedly on the server. What does that tell you about them?

Chuck helped me compile my first prog.dat when I started SINGED. PK gave me a prog once, but I didn't understand source until I left Deadzone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Diazoild wrote:
Chuck helped me compile my first prog.dat when I started SINGED. PK gave me a prog once, but I didn't understand source until I left Deadzone.

It still leaves the idea open that there could be code in there for you and Ben or any other admin. You guys were a tight-knit group. I do remember some of the conversations in the private forum of the Dead Zone message board. I did have access, despite what you believe. I just didn't stick my noise in your little community. I most certainly wouldn't use any of the material to make someone look bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:39 pm 

There was more than one level of private there :P . I believe you were removed from the second tier.

From what I was told the code required one to be an admin and also be using a certain name. I can't tell for sure as my coding is limited to enabling/disabling runes and other tweeks with numbers of traps one can spawn.