Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Single Server Port source patch
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:46 pm 

For server operators who compile their own Quake engine....

Patches for the original Id source and for ProQuake 3.50 are available at IHOC.

This is experimental code! All the single-server-port code is confined to net_udp.c and net_dgram.c, #ifdef'd under SINGLE_SERVER_PORT which is #define'd at the top of both those files. You can just comment out the #define and recompile to back out of the change.

Before committing to this patch for ProQuake servers we should coordinate with JPG or whoever is maintaining ProQuake now. He added some code to work around the "NAT problem" in 3.4 which is only activated when a PQ 3.4 (or higher) client connects to a PQ 3.4 (or higher) server. This code is incompatible with my fix, so in my patch I detect that 3.4/3.4 handshaking and revert to the original socket code. To do this right we want to deprecate his workaround in 3.6 and use my fix instead, but of course we still have to support PQ 3.4-3.5 clients using his workaround, and 3.4-3.5 servers in the 3.6 client.... It's pretty damned complicated, and I'd rather not have to take responsibility for getting it all exactly right.

Before deploying my patch you should do your own testing. It's been tested pretty well in the IHOC Quake engine, but I've only done bare-essential "smoke testing" with Id-quake and ProQuake (i.e. it works with WinQuake and PQ 3.5 on my LAN sans NAT, sans firewall).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Yugo2Heck wrote:
This has nothing whatsoever to do with DNS. The DNS fix that ProQuake made doesn't cause any problems and is a very good idea (it was also one of the first fixes I made when I got the Quake source back in 1999).

ProQuake Docs wrote:
Fake clients generated by qflood are automatically disconnected after 10 seconds. This time can be changed using the net_connecttimeout console variable. If someone is unable to connect to your server with qflood protection enabled, chances are they are using an older client that has connection time problems (see client side features). Get them to switch to the latest version of ProQuake. If they can't or won't, and you want to accomodate them, raise net_connecttimeout to 30 which will give them longer to connect (and will also make a qflood attack last longer).

The above may or may not be part of Baker's problem; however; it is a real problem and has the same symptoms Baker stated in his initial post and may very well be related to DNS.

Yugo2Heck wrote:
Before committing to this patch for ProQuake servers we should coordinate with JPG or whoever is maintaining ProQuake now.

You can reach JPG at jpg@alum.mit.edu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:27 pm 

J P had this to say:
Quote:
I haven't had any time for ProQuake lately, but I hope to in the next few months. I'll take another look at this when I do.

So... In the meantime, for all the ProQuake server operators out there, here's my latest ProQuake 3.50 single-server-port source patch:

http://www.quake.ihoc.net/qsrc-pq350-ssp.patch

And pre-built binaries:

http://www.speakeasy.org/~ihoc/wqpro.zip for Windows
http://www.speakeasy.org/~ihoc/squake.tar.gz for Linux

(Complete pre-patched source and several other builds are also available, just let me know what you need.)

This is only for servers! Players do not need this patch; it won't make any difference at all on the client side!

This is still experimental. I've been running the patch sucessfully for a few days now at IHOC, but I don't use ProQuake, so this patched ProQuake build has only had very limited "smoke testing" on my LAN. I recommend testing this first on a temporary address or port with a few players, then keeping a close eye on it if you decide to use it for your main server. Please report bugs and anomalies back to me.

(BTW: that reverse DNS thing in WinQuake locks up the console while it's trying to do the lookup. If you're blocked on reverse DNS you won't even be able to type console commands. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between that and the NAT/firewall problem, which doesn't lock up the console.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

Yugo; thanks for releasing the patch.

Server Ops; Please keep in mind you will not be able to use procompiled binaries for cheat-free servers.

Post subject: Halt; Abort.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:28 pm 

The Windows version is broken and doesn't work at all. If you run a server on Linux go ahead and test the squake version, but don't even bother with my wqpro in Windows. Sorry about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:08 pm 

Status report? Who's tried this? Who hasn't?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:27 pm 

Yugo is running at IHOC + XOC and it works like a charm as far as I can tell.

All I know is this, those are the only Quake servers I connect to without a hitch when not using ProQuake.

http://www.GameStatus.Net stats, http://www.GameAholic.Net Q1 servers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:04 am 

I have a quick question that seems to be with in this category. When I make a listen server I open up port 26000 (being the default that it is). Now where do I indicate within the Quake directory or target line that I want the port for the listen server to be 26000? I ask because my friend can only join when I use the range 26000~29000 in my router settings.

And because I'm behind a router do I even open up a port range? or just simply the desired port?

I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere before but I can't quite get/find the exact answers I need. My thanks in advanced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:06 pm 

Port 26000 is the default, but if you want to verify or change it, go to the options menu in Quake and select multiplayer, new game, and then TCP/IP.

All you need to do is forward port 26000 on your router.

You must start a Quake server by selecting the multiplayer option. Also, your friend must have your IP address and NOT your device IP address.

toyo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:15 pm 

I know, I've done that and it doesn't work. One thing I saw somewhere was to indicate the -port command into your shortcut target line. I did this like so: "-port 26250" and forwarded that port and realized Quake had put that port in it's multiplayer options. But my friend still could not join. So basically he can only join when I forward a port range like: 26000~29000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:48 pm 

man there was never a better feeling than seeing the keepalive message when i saw that this was fixed I was too happy

was using:
glproquake.exe client
on windows xp pro sp2 machine
behind 2 software firewalls pccyllin & zone alarm (maybe 3 I think the windows firewall was active on the other box (identical)
behind router dhcp + firewall (dlink 704p)

was able to maintain 2 simotanious connections from our single ip (behind the dhcp) on QUAKE.XOC.NET

A+++ on the patch

has anybody compiled these to run with glproquake.exe..?

I don't know about the rest of you but I like the look of the game a lot better when I host/play with gl instead of wq...

been trying to get some games going for a long time and this is going to be my last hope for me to keep my fellow quakers interested in quake 1

IMO nothing has ever surpassed the fun of original quake and nothing ever will :D

unfortunately I do not know how to compile the binaries if someone has or will compile them please let me know I am 1/2 tempted to run a dedicated on my server so I can still use the glproquake client to connect but I am not sure if i want to use the resources on the local and i don't know if I could get a cgi to run it on my outside host that doesn't really let me do anything but upload basic html ish.

let me know

Jake B.

Da-Chia@Chiacasa.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:16 pm 

ok update connecting to the server works fine as in the post above

hosting here no werky-

used the patched winquake pre-compiled binary to run the server - had a quake error "unable to bind 192.168.0.174:2600"

I opened the port range like above "26000~29000" still no werky all firewalls configured to allow the port program and connection and even added my buddies ip to the trusted list for my network.

then disabled all firewalls except the router but it is set to allow the ports needed

any ideas -

thx

Jake B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:11 pm 

You may have to simply use Quake World (QW), I believe QW was modified to let people join your servers, as opposed to glquake which is more of a graphical modification for the single player experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:39 pm 

hmm well I can get people to join behind my router all day long, I have fixed mac addresses and port forwarding was thinking that maybe there was something there but no problems and that is with glproquake and such will try the qw

would just use the quake.qoc.net server but we never fall below a 130 ping at best and usually stay around 200 or so - and the lag either reacts different on these new systems or i am just not used to it anymore. hell we used to play days on end connected @ 26.4 with a 300 ping being the best we could hope for and still was able to do some damage and keep it in the top 3 rankings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:21 pm 

I too Having problems connecting to servers with Ports 26000

But ports 27500 and higher i can connect to

Using QuakeWorld Client

OS
Windows XP Home SP2

Firewall
Norton Internet Secuirty

With Ports 26000, keeps saying Connecting repeatedly and never connects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

The 26000 servers are netquake servers. You need a netquake client like Joe Quake or ProQuake.

JoeQuake: http://delfin.unideb.hu/~sj0002/news.html

ProQuake: http://www.planetquake.com/proquake/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:19 pm 

I give them a try

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:51 pm 

Nope...Neither of Them Worked

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:32 pm 

Meatwad, let's continue this in the following thread:

Click this:

http://forums.runecentral.com/viewtopic.php?t=607

Post subject: CANT CONNECT FROM GAMESPY AND PLAY RUNE QUAKE
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:24 am 

I WAS PLAYING RUNE QUAKE FROM GAMESPY, THEN I MOVED AND HAD TO CHANGE TO A NEW TELEPHONE COMPANY WITH DSL SERVICE. NOW I CANT PLAY RUNE QUAKE. THIS MESSAGE COMES UP:

TRYING....
CONNECTION ACCEPTED
3 DEMO(S) IN LOOP
HOST ERROR: CL_READFROMSERVER: LOST SERVER CONNECTION
NET_SENDMESSAGE: DISCONNECTED SOCKET

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN AND HOW CAN I PLAY AGAIN...I REINSTALLED QUAKE AND GAMESPY AND NOTHING HAS HAPPENED...I ALSO TURNED OFF MY FIREWALL AND THAT DIDNT WORK...

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME...PLEASE