Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rocket Jump Bind, Infallible
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:35 pm 

I know at least a dozens players that have tried this bind and it works every time. I've even seen it posted on other messageboards occasionally.

Quote:
What distinguishes this RJ bind from every other one is that it ALWAYS works ... you can't screw it up, no matter how hard you try ... some don't work right for HPB's this does, can't mess it up by looking the wrong direction. I played around with a rocket jump bind Angel referred me too once and found that if I was looking up or down too far, I wouldn't jump right.

I had a thought, "What if I forced the view to be correct as part of the bind?" Looks like a simple enough fix, eh, but it was actually a great deal of work reading through console command documentation which never said force_centerview only works with mouselook turned off.

// BAKER'S PERFECT ROCKET JUMP 1.0

alias keepMEsafe "-mlook;force_centerview;+mlook"
alias +rj "keepMEsafe; cl_pitchspeed 100000; +lookdown; wait; -lookdown; cl_pitchspeed 150; +jump; +attack; echo Rocket Jump"
alias -rj "-attack;-jump;keepMEsafe"

bind h +rj

To use: Edit your config.cfg and add this in. Press H while moving forward with the Rocket Launcher selected and you will rocket jump.

http://www.GameStatus.Net stats, http://www.GameAholic.Net Q1 servers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:09 pm 

I don't consider them cheats, but complex binds that automatically and perfectly do what a human can and should do is not good for the game.

I like driving therefore I prefer shifting gears manually. If I considered driving an unavoidable hassle, I'd probably drive an automatic. Likewise, I'll perform my own rocket jumps and 180 degree turns, albeit imperfectly, thankyouverymuch.

toyo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:40 pm 

People have been using rocket jump binds since the beginning of Quake, I agree with you --- you shouldn't be able to make a rocket jump bind --- but since half of the hardcore players have one and a number of 'em use this one, I only think it is fair that everyone has equal access to one so they can make the choice.

[A truly unfair bind: Last year I made a retro-rocket bind that would perfectly nail someone exactly behind me taking Chuck's 180 turn and warping it into something evil.

However, after I went LPB, I discarded that one based on the ethics. Sure I like to win, but I'm not willing to use a patently unfair bind to do so.]

http://www.GameStatus.Net stats, http://www.GameAholic.Net Q1 servers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:58 pm 

This bind started out as you described above, but I removed the firing part when I adapted and modified it.

alias turn "host_framerate 0.03; wait; cl_yawspeed 24000; +left; wait; -left; cl_yawspeed 140; host_framerate 0"
bind "h" "turn"

Unfair? Sure if it's something that only I have and nobody else does but I make it freely available to anyone that wants it. Is it fair that some players are lpb's and some are not? At least in my scenario players have a choice. Sounds fair to me. :shock:

Post subject: Hmmmm...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:46 am 

Not saying that your bind is fair or unfair Chuck, but how is someone's LPB status or lack thereof an issue of fairness. It's not an LPB's fault that everyone isn't able to either afford or have the ability to have a high-speed connection. That is not an issue of fairness, but one of availabilty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:40 am 

Being a long time dial-up player before i finally did get cable, I can tell you, It ain't fair!!! :P

I was making the same point (kinda). They are both a matter of availability.