Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water view distorted
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:32 am 

I've got an intermittent problem that I can't seem to nail down. It was doing it for a while, then stopped somehow after I edited my config, now it's back again.

It's a little hard to describe...

If I look down at a liquid (lava, water) and move my view by moving the mouse, the boundaries of the container of the water area are clipped into and overlayed on the viewport of the water itself.

I can demonstrate it at the start of Quake at the 'hard' level entrance. Standing on the edge of the lava pit, the image of the balls of lava that are thrown up get overlayed onto the image of the surface of the lava, as do the boundaries of the pit, in a sort of freeze-frame effect.

I thought I'd got rid of it by setting gl_caustic to 1, but it's back again now.

Really appreciate any help on this one, as it makes it very hard to navigate in the water when the surface image is so distorted.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:10 pm 

I think I know what you are referring to ....

Try one of the following:

1. Option 1: r_wateralpha 1 ... will make water non-transparent, eliminating the problem. (This is the same as setting the water transparency slider bar all the way right.)

2. Option 2: r_novis 1 ... will make water properly transparent even on non-vised maps when r_wateralpha is less than 1, so set r_wateralpha .4 or another number below 1 but above 0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:41 pm 

Yea, sounds like the blur effect you get if r_wateralpha < 1 and the map isn't watervis'd. Just set r_wateralpha 1, I don't recommend using r_novis 1, the Quake engine will disreguard map visibility information, which basically means the engine will draw everything (instead of only what is visible and needs to be drawn) and will decrease performance, sometimes drastically. If you want transparent water you should properly watervis your maps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:02 am 

Thanks very much both of you, not least for figuring out what I was talking about :)! r_wateralpha = 1 fixed it.