It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:12 pm 

Bam ....

Your Quake folder ...

Should have joequake.exe and joequakegl.exe in there, plus dzip.exe

Your Quake/JoeQuake folder ...

Should have your config.cfg that you manually copy into there from quake\id1 and ---maybe --- the pak0.pak that came with JoeQuake.

I can run JoeQuake-gl fine without the pak0.pak in the JoeQuake folder, I'm not sure what is in there, probably HUD elements (on screen health indicator, shells remaining images, etc.)

Joe can probably tell us what is in pak0.pak

Bam, let me know if you get this to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:33 pm 

Baker's right. If you place the files as he stated, you _MUST_ get it working! Is this problem only happen to joequake or with other quake.exe's as well?
My pak only contains minor things, for example particle images, but it can be played without it too, so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:09 pm 

Joe, your download installs correctly.

Bam may have either decompressed JoeQuake in the wrong folder or turned off "Extract to folder names" on his unzip prog and got the files all in one folder.

Bam, have you solved the problem yet?

http://www.GameStatus.Net stats, http://www.GameAholic.Net Q1 servers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:50 am 

Yep got it working, I did what you said and put a shortcut on my destop and put the -game joequake, command in there. Except, when I go to the console and I type something in, it doesn't show any characters and after I type in two characters it crashes. :?:

Bam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:00 am 

Don't do "game -joequake"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:02 am 

Hey Joe, there have been, I believe, three reports of crashes similar to that which Bam described when someone types 2 characters in the console.

Pyro gets problem wrote:
here is my bug - the console doesnt work. It drops down and has text, but when i type one letter it makes a blank instead of what i pushed. I can delete it and push any other letter and it does this. But, if I type a second character, it crashes. Not very helpful to me...

Then Pyro said he fixed it ...

Pyro Fixed it somehow wrote:
Ok I tried everything, even stupid stuff like gamma, reset controls, etc etc, but it still did it. I have athlon 3000+, 1 gig ram, windows xp. I used joe-quakegl and have an nvidia geforce 4 at 128 i think, it might be 256. Anyways, i tried moving files/paks to the directory, nothing. All other quakes I used such as tenebrae and glproplus never had a prob. So, how did I fix it? I typed "a", seeing a blank space, then pushed enter. It said "unknown command "a"". Anyhow, then the little ] cursor, which before wasnt present, popped up and behold, I could type! Now it works all the time, even after shutting and restarting. Weird...real weird.

Bam, could you try what Pyro did and see if it helps? Strange problem but 3 people have reported it to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:46 am 

there has to be some connection to why that is happening? Mine crashed after two weeks of using it.. grrrrrrr..

But.. I didn't have any of the problem that are mentioned.. Console came down fine when I hit the ESC key.. I quickly found I had to move my Config,Auto EXEC, and alias file to the JoeQuake folder. Well I copied it there.

The crashing after two weeks stumped me.. I d/led the update though and was able to use it last night :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:57 pm 

Yeah, I know about this and here's why it happens:
there's a file called "cmdhist.dat", which JoeQuake saves every time you quit the game. That file is for command history, it stores the last 64 lines of recent commands you used in Quake console. At start JoeQuake loads these lines into memory and therefore you can use your previously used commands after restarting. Quite handy.
But, if the game crashes or stops in an unproper way, it might happen that this "cmdhist.dat" file won't get closed properly. Then this above mentioned problem happens. I'm gonna try to avoid this in the future version of the engine. Until then, if the problem pops up again, just delete cmdhist.dat then restart the game and it works fine. Trust me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:31 pm 

LOL! wierd way to fix it, by typing "a" in and pressing enter. Jozsef did you say to do that for that character bug or what Pita said?

Bam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:56 am 

Both of 'em. If you delete the file or if you press an enter, or you press something then an enter, then it'll be accepted as first command and wont get freezed, but if you type two or more characters it freezes :)
Sorry, stupid bug I know, gonna try to workaround it.