Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JoeQuake Record Feature + MM1/MM2 length
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:22 pm 

Joe, a couple of really convenient features that would be nice to see in the next JoeQuake:

1) Increasing the length of messagemode like ProQuake has (Toyo requested this). I think 32 is the current length and ProQuake does 44. It's nice because you can type more.

2) Make it so you can type RECORD MYDEMO on the fly when connected to a multiplayer game (like ProQuake).

Doing the "disconnect; record mydemo; connect totalquake.essentrix.net" thing in the console to record a demo is inconvenient ... who knows why they made Quake do that.

EXTRA CREDIT

Make it so if you type RECORD without specifying a filename that JoeQuake automatically names the demo E1M1-Jan-01-2003-150000.dem ... that would be cool.

Format: Map code - MMM - DD - YYYYY - then the time in military format (like how 15:00:00 is 3 PM, except don't do the colons because I don't think those are allowed in file names).

Happy Holidays Joe ... thanks for all the time you invested in making a really cool NetQuake.
:P

http://www.GameStatus.Net stats, http://www.GameAholic.Net Q1 servers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:43 pm 

Quote:
1) Increasing the length of messagemode like ProQuake has (Toyo requested this). I think 32 is the current length and ProQuake does 44. It's nice because you can type more.

I've added this in the latest build. I didn't try it though. Could you pls try it if it works...?

Quote:
2) Make it so you can type RECORD MYDEMO on the fly when connected to a multiplayer game (like ProQuake).

Okay, I'm gonna add this

Quote:
Make it so if you type RECORD without specifying a filename that JoeQuake automatically names the demo E1M1-Jan-01-2003-150000.dem ... that would be cool.

heh, autorecording :)
all right, I can add this too.

Btw, you might noticed that I haven't added much ProQuake features compared to v0.13R3. The reason is that sputnikutah told me he was working on his own engine, derived from JoeQuake, and at the time we spoke, he already had many-many net based features compared to the few ones I built in. So then I decided to work on other stuffs for JoeQuake instead of the net code, and added Nehahra compatibility, which is the main feature of this newest build.
I hope sputnikutah will show up again on the board and tell us how his work's going... :)

Happy holidays to you all as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:01 am 

Short list of some other things you might consider adding in next one:

1) Make it so typing "connect quake.shmack.net:26001" can be done instead of having to do "port 26001; connect quake.shmack.net". (ProQuake tweak).

2) Maybe add IEEE's idea of being able to select a custom map (.BSP files only, I wouldn't worry about maps in a pak file) via a menu just like your demo menu.

I like the demo menu beyond what words can describe. I think it is great. It would be excellent to be able to do that with maps too.

3) Ambitious, but this would be a real triumph ... cause JoeQuake to cause Windows to file associate .dem and .dz files with JoeQuake so that double clicking a demo file will automatically start JoeQuake and play a given demo.

I know that is somewhat complicated, but this is just an idea and if it doesn't seem worth the trouble I would certainly understand.

Code:
Rough thoughts on #3

It would require that JoeQuake do a Windows registry entry to associate .dem and .dz files on startup unless a jq_nofileassociate flag was set to 1.   

Additionally it could be a little troublesome to determine how a file association could invoke JoeQuake in a way to cause it to run the demo.

Again, these are just ideas, especially #3. :P

http://www.GameStatus.Net stats, http://www.GameAholic.Net Q1 servers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:07 pm 

Quote:
1) Make it so typing "connect quake.shmack.net:26001" can be done instead of having to do "port 26001; connect quake.shmack.net". (ProQuake tweak).

this is already built in. I forgot to mention in the new features list, but I've added this previously when I ported plenty of things from ProQuake. I've just tried it out, and it worked for me.