Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Demos in Joeq
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:06 am 

I'm trying to get some demos playing that show secrets in rogue and hipnotic. The files i have are in : file.dz format.
When Joe runs them it gives a "couldn't execute dzip.exe" error message after browsing to the file from the joe demo menu.
Is it possible to play demos in this format with joe - if so how - if not do you know where i can get secrets demos for rogue and hipnotic in .dem format?
Thanks for any help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:52 am 

I've just got dzip and it works fine now - dzip talk about compression - 0.6mb to 11mb wow.
Can joe play demos from .pak files or do they have to be unpaked to play? - this is the only way i can run them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:48 pm 

it is possible to play demos from dz files, yes, but using some limits:
-first of all, dzip.exe needs to be present in you main Quake folder (where you put JoeQuake.exe too).
-latest dzip.exe is required (v2.9, included in JoeQuake zip)
-it only works when one .dem files is dzipped in a .dz archive with the same name. So therefore it doesnt work for dzipped pak files, more files, etc.

About paks:
You needn't uncompress the pak's, but you can't access the demos inside pack files from the menu (...yet).
You can use a way though: at the console type "playdemo " and then the few characters which the demos' name begins, or a '*' for getting all demos' names. Then press the TAB button to get a list of all demos' names that match. Your gamedir must be the same directory which contains the pak file(s) of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:30 am 

Thanks for that Joe
All demos work great now- what a good looking, stable and simple port joeq is. It'll add the finishing touch with MoonDrunks pics.
I notice some of the demos i have are authored by you - I'm looking for demos with secrets for some other quake mods like : fantasy quake - soul of evil - shrak and nehahra. Any idea where i might find some?

Also is it possible to get hipnotic and rogue to run with coloured lighting from the .lit files that give coloured lighting in the main quake game?If not are there any .lit files made for the mission packs.
Thanks again for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:35 pm 

Quote:
I notice some of the demos i have are authored by you

well, I have been speedrunning for quite a few years, so it can happen to see some demos from me, yes :)
I dont know much about the mods you mentioned, I only made/sent demos to SDA, and these TC's weren't added there. Google it.

About the lits, no the exmy ones can only be used for the original levels, each level requires to have an own lit file. Once again, try google.