Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey Joe!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:48 am 

Where are you going with that gun in your hand?

Hahah...you never heard that one before. (Right!)

Anyway, I have a question. I'm not a techie when it comes to video settings and drivers and all that stuff, but I've got an annoying issue with Joequake. Gamma. Now, in the old GL Quake there was no way around it (that I know of), I had to adjust the gamma for OpenGL with some driver-tweak program. When JoeQuake came, I didn't need to. I could set gl_gamma to like 0.4 and everything would be bright and nice. No need to change anything in the gfx card drivers.

Now I've gone and done a couple of things, and they somehow have affected this. I upgraded to the last JoeQuake release, and I upgraded the Videocard drivers and I run dual monitor set-up now. And now it seems random whether JoeQuake will start bright or dark. Funny thing is that I can start JoeQuake (it's dark), quit and restart JoeQuake (still dark), and after maybe 6-7 tries, suddenly it's bright. Other times it's bright on first try. Then I can exit and restart, and it's dark again.

When it starts bright I can change gl_gamma on the fly, and have it correctly updated to the value I set. When it starts dark, I cannot change the gamma, it stays dark even if it loads with the gl_gamma 0.4 setting. I just wondered if something has changed in the last JoeQuake release, of if the newer catalysts have done something. I've tried reverting to older drivers, and disabling the dual-monitor solution, but to no avail. This annoying little thing is still there.

Thx for a great speedrunning .exe, btw. I've done extensive testing on the 100 meter, and JoeQuake is faster than stock .exes. I dunno why, maybe some extra FPS has sneaked into this exe when it was compiled =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:11 pm 

Hmm well. Unfortunately, I dunno what is this you're talking about :-/
This problem never ever occured to me, probably it could be catalist yeah. Since when I have an ATi card I also had a few problems. The very first ATi driver contained bad glShadeModel() OpenGL function, and the texture of the weapons and all alias models were just fucked up at some places. When I got a newer driver, the problem solved. Try a different driver (is there a newer one?), and see if it helps. Getting a newer driver might not help though. For example, a friend of mine just told me that the recent game Painkiller only works with catalyst 4.3 on his card (9600XT) but not with 4.5. So it's weird.... :-|

Btw, is that you, Ripah?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:25 pm 

Quote:
Btw, is that you, Ripah?

In the flesh =)

Ok, I'll research some more when I have time. I can live yet a while with restarting a few times before the gl_gamma 0.4 setting displays correctly. It seems to me that JoeQuake sometime fails to trigger the gamma correction in the graphics drivers, but I dont know if it's supposed to trigger anything or not. I'll check some drivers and stuff and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:16 am 

I'm sure you checked this.. but just in case.. did you double check your config file to make sure something isn't setting it up with dark gamma to begin with? Possibly two dif configs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:24 pm 

it uses hardware gamma, so it's depended on your drivers mainly I believe...
Btw, thx for that scream demo :)
And do more id records instead of the custom maps!!! I know you're one of the few guys who have the guts for it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:03 pm 

e4m7_050 NR will be in the next update I believe. Using the spawnboost route. This one can go faster still as you will see. I got some minor flaws (like the jump down in the beginning, and some shots partially missing one of the vores, so I have to shoot it one more time...etc)

Go for :49 Joe =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:47 am 

Try the 3.10 drivers. I tried some of the 4.x and had gamma problems with Fuhquake. When your Q1 is too dark is your desktop too bright when you return to it? This happens less frequent with the 3.10. I noticed when you add a +map to your command line the gamma works better in Fuhquake so this might help with Joequake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:47 am 

Btw, the problem was indeed with the catalyst drivers I was using. I think it was 4.6 beta. After installing 4.7 the problem went away, and the gl_gamma settings were correctly activated on every startup of Joequake.

Just thought maybe I'd mention it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:36 pm 

cool, thanks for telling.